Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Falconrep  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2007 20:01:07(UTC)
Falconrep

United States   
Can a Marklin Hamo be converted to a 3 rail? I understand that I would need to add a center conductor and Isolate the wheel sets. Is thers someone that could describe how I could under take this? I have an old 8371 ICE train and I love the original way the train was designed with the covers between hte cars unlike the current designs. I've had this run on a 2 rail layout and love the way it runs, Attempts to locate a 3371 at a reasonable price have failed. So I'm down to can I convert this...maybe to digital, with MFX?
Thomas Wondrock
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#2 Posted : 28 October 2007 21:11:54(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Thomas,

First, you don't need to isolate the wheel sets, what would probably best to do is to connect the wheel contacts to one another, this makes that all wheels are connected to the ground. Secondly, a pickup shoe (or two, see below) needs to be added.
Then about converting this model into digital: that's not really easy in a conventional way. I've converted the same model (but AC, non-hamo version) just recently with a great result while using HGH's PCBs, see:
https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=5952

This set of PCBs offers a choice: using two sliders and a mechanism that always switches the one ahead on or using just one slider. The first option is probably best, as it makes that the train will stop in front of a signal, instead of passing it almost completely beforing coming to a hold. I chose to use the first option by the way.

Note that this answer only holds under the assumption that the both models don't differ much besides the electronics in the both heads (which will be replaced completely). If the middle coaches are different compared to the regular 3371, I don't know the answer. Probably HGH knows whether the assumption stated above is right, he's an expert on the 3371 (and other models)

Good luck!
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline Hemmerich  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2007 21:34:30(UTC)
Hemmerich

Hi Thomas,

there must be really some misunderstanding about converting from DC to AC - instead of isolating the wheelsets you need to solder their wires together! biggrin

In most cases (track dependent) you can even still retain the current wheels. The only thing needed is the contact shoe which is connected to the wires which where previously coming from the contacts of the insulated wheels. wink

Yes, electric wiring / switching direction is different between the DC and the AC model(s).
Offline nevw  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2007 22:58:46(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Whilst not an ICE I am in the middle of converting a 216 from Hamo to AC.
I had to change the Bogie where the Slider was fitted to an Insulated one. the Hamo Bogie had no plastic cover and the slider springs came in contact with the Wheel Axles.
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around