Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dntower85  
#1 Posted : 27 October 2007 01:16:41(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Has anyone had a problem with long sections of c-track buckling when it is hot and separating when it gets cold. On my layout in the garage where the temp was 50deg f cooler this morning than it was last week a 9ft section of track came apart. I didn't have any screws in this section because this summer it had buckled and pulled the screws out. its is only held in place but a curve at one end and a turnout at the other. I trying to figure out if it is caused by the temperature change or is it something else I am missing. Real track dose change its length with the weather but its mostly over very long distances.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2007 02:51:43(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
DT, deffinitely not you - C-Track does expand and contract.

I have more noticeably observed contraction, and thought maybe the track was still drying out from manufacture. So while temperature is involved I think it is more likely to be humidity related.

Peter
Offline shaygetz  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2007 04:09:48(UTC)
shaygetz

It could be your benchwork, too. The lumber in those temperature and humidity extremes could easily expand and contract a quarter inch over eight feet and in all directions at that. Track would do it but not so drastically. Ultimately your best bet is to climate control the garage.
"To escape the error of salvation by works we have fallen into the opposite error of salvation without obedience.”

---A.W. Tozer

Webpage... www.freewebs.com/shaygetz
Blog... http://misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com/
Offline Maxi  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2007 04:59:51(UTC)
Maxi

Controlling the humidity would definetly help and having a room which is sealed as much as possible from the rest of the house would also help.

I have insulated the exterior walls of my room before building my layout, also installed a drop ceiling and painted the concrete floor to help minimize the amount of moisture in the room. Lastly I also installed a dehumidifire in the room to control the humidity level, when the dehumidifire runs it also helps keep the room at a constant temperature resulting in not requiring any extra heat source to be installed except for the already installed air vent from the forced air furnace.

Maxi
Offline Larry  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2007 05:33:20(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Seesh, Matthew, that is amazing. How extensive of a layout do you have? Now I feel really guilty and my layout could be quite vulnerable with an old dehumidifier.
Offline Maxi  
#6 Posted : 27 October 2007 16:05:20(UTC)
Maxi

The room is 13 feet by 12 feet and at the time it cost me about $1000 to prepare.

The next room is twice the size but will most likely cost somewhere around 3 to 4 times the amount due to price inscreases.

I have out grown the present room but have to wait before the next room is available for railroad use, that could be a while.

Maxi
Offline cjh26  
#7 Posted : 27 October 2007 16:33:56(UTC)
cjh26

United States   
Has anyone had a problem with C track getting brittle with age. I do not have a permanent layout and find the ends of the track break when taking them apart
Carl
Offline MärCo  
#8 Posted : 27 October 2007 17:18:01(UTC)
MärCo

The first batches from C track had that problem. I encountered this also with my small layout. The last rails I bought don't seem to have that problem.
As far as I can tell, the older batches has no "O" and "B" marks on the underside.
The olders C tracks are always sold at bargain prices on ebay.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline john black  
#9 Posted : 27 October 2007 17:20:35(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Maxi
<br />have out grown the present room but have to wait before the next room is available

Now that's an idea - collecting rooms for MRR ... Cool[}:)]
No trouble with my C-track so far, Darrin ...

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline stephenbb  
#10 Posted : 27 October 2007 17:28:46(UTC)
stephenbb

My layout 27'x 8' two levels uses C throughout. It's in my basement. I've never had a problem, except for the old first generation C track which was sometimes brittle. I remember when I used M track and had some rust spots. That was a 100 years ago.
Stephen(USA)
ETE,NMRA,MEA
Offline john black  
#11 Posted : 27 October 2007 18:07:01(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by stephenbb
<br />My layout 27'x 8'

Sounds great. Where are the pics [}:)]confused
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline Caplin  
#12 Posted : 27 October 2007 21:30:56(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by MärCo
<br />The first batches from C track had that problem. I encountered this also with my small layout. The last rails I bought don't seem to have that problem.
As far as I can tell, the older batches has no "O" and "B" marks on the underside.

That really got me out of the chair, as I have bought some tracks second hand. I never heard this before. But the ones I could identify for sure do have the B and 0 markings. What a relief.

BTW what does the "B" stand for nowadays? Many years ago many of our schematics had the supply voltage named "B+" instead of the actual voltage value. I wonder if the "B" still stands for that. At least it imprinted next to the center track connection tab. And the "0" then being neutral - two outer tracks. Does anybody know?
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline MärCo  
#13 Posted : 27 October 2007 23:40:03(UTC)
MärCo

As far as I can tell, there are 3 generations C track:

1ste — No "B" and "O" marking, with 5 digit part number. Clips on the end often break.
2nd — With "B" and "O" marking, with 5 digit part number. Better quality, confirmed by Märklin.
3rd — With "B" and "O" marking, with 3 digit part number. The 24 prefix from the part number is missing. This is just like the TRIX C track.
Absolutly AFB-NOHAB fan ;-)
Offline perz  
#14 Posted : 28 October 2007 00:06:20(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I don't know for sure, but I would guess that the expansion/contraction is mainly temperature related. Most kinds of plastic do contract/expand much more with temperature than what many other materials do.

Expansion/contraction of the benchwork could also be a contributing factor. In that case, moisture could be involved. However, wood typically gets dryer during cold periods so the effect would normally be the other way around.
Offline Caplin  
#15 Posted : 28 October 2007 15:22:07(UTC)
Caplin

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MärCo
<br />As far as I can tell, there are 3 generations C track:

1ste — No "B" and "O" marking, with 5 digit part number. Clips on the end often break.
2nd — With "B" and "O" marking, with 5 digit part number. Better quality, confirmed by Märklin.
3rd — With "B" and "O" marking, with 3 digit part number. The 24 prefix from the part number is missing. This is just like the TRIX C track.

Thanks for the information.
BTW Märklin part numbers on track pieces are not easy to read, sometimes you even need a magnifying glass and light in a certain angle. [:(!]
That surely could be done [size=3]a lot better IMHO.
Regards,
Benny - Outsider and MFDWPL

UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#16 Posted : 28 October 2007 22:49:05(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
That's the nice thing about m-track and board.. Screwing m-track to board has the same effect as reinforcing the table with a steel frame.. No expansion problems down here... biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline cjh26  
#17 Posted : 28 October 2007 23:31:55(UTC)
cjh26

United States   
Thanks for the explanation

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by MärCo
<br />The first batches from C track had that problem. I encountered this also with my small layout. The last rails I bought don't seem to have that problem.
Carl
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 28 October 2007 23:59:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by xxup
<br />That's the nice thing about m-track and board.. Screwing m-track to board has the same effect as reinforcing the table with a steel frame.. No expansion problems down here... biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

True!! Can't say I've ever had this problem, what with my layout being M Track.