Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dandrikop  
#1 Posted : 10 January 2007 13:20:04(UTC)
dandrikop

Marklin starter sets come with either a 18VA or a 60VA transformer. Marklin recommends that the 18VA trafo should be solely used for powering locomotives. That's not true; I use a 18VA trafo to power two 24978 and one 74920. Indeed, I figured out that the 18VA trafo is not suitable for running locomotives. Namely, when the locomotive run very slowly (1-3 steps of speed bar) it stops when it finds dirt on the tracks (i.e. it looses electrical connection). When I wipe out the dirt, the locomotive runs fine. However, I didn't noticed that issue with a 60VA trafo.
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2007 15:58:36(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
I hope you take power to your accessories from the track, not the trafo, since they both are grounded through the track. But this limits the power that can be used by the trains, since the accessories use digital power. The 18 VA trafo is just enough to power the MS anyway, so it is likely that the trafo limits the capacity in your case, not the MS.

There is an easy solution if you have a second trafo available: Disconnect the accessories from the track and feed them through their own trafo. This trafo will have to use "common ground" with the track, so it can't be the same trafo that feeds the MS. This will reduce the stress on the MS and give you more headroom. If you have a 32VA trafo that can be used to drive the MS it is even better, since you get maximum available power from the MS.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user