Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rydman  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2006 16:47:00(UTC)
Rydman

Hello All,

Is it possible to change old metal couplers on Marklin 3170 Swedish wooden elok for new type with pockets (NEM type?)? If yes, How difficult would this be? I can't check this because I do not have this lok myself yet but want to buy one.

I would also like to add digital decoder to this lok, then run f1 wire down to new style coupler so I can install current conducting coupler to power passenger wagon lighting, which already have current conducting couplers on them.

Thanks for any info you can provide. Stew.
Rydman
ETE Member#824
ETEGL Member
MEA Member
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2006 17:04:30(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Roco has introduced short coupling mechanisms for passenger coaches. I suppose these can be used on locos as well. However this requires that you cut off the original couplers.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Rydman  
#3 Posted : 25 September 2006 19:07:59(UTC)
Rydman

Thanks for reply. I think I found answer to my question in this thread:
https://www.marklin-user...ault.aspx?g=posts&t=4491
Assuming couplers are attached to lok bogie in a similar fashion, then yes I would have to cut couplers off. I was trying to do it in a way that would be "reversable". Anyway, I see it can be done, just a little more involved than I thought.
Rydman
ETE Member#824
ETEGL Member
MEA Member
Offline intruder  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2006 23:28:22(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Hello everybody
This is how I do it, as I like all my locomotives and cars to be close coupled. Not only for the shorter distance between the units, but also for less play in the pulling and pushing state of the couplings.

UserPostedImage

In the photo, from the left:
1- Original coupler to 3071, M* part no. 211 280.
2- Another coupling (for 3105? I do not remember)
3- The same coupling after modification with a coupling from 7205
4- A coupling from 7205
5- A coupler pocket, long type, M* part no. 363 950. Maybe it's better to use a short one, no. 288 390

I haven't tried (I will soon), but it should be possible to glue in a coupler pocket instead of the coupler itself, if it is space behind the pocket after installing it to the locomotive. On my 3171 there seems to be plenty of space.
I allways buy new coupler before modification, to be able to convert back to the original condition, if I don't have any in my spare part box.

Please notice the lenght difference in the original and the modified coupling. My excperience from test layouts indicates no problems with the couplings interfere with the bumpers in curves.
I of course clean the surfaces very good before gluing, and I us the gel-type super glue.

Cut the original coupling just in front of the "needle eyes", grind it smooth, glue in the cut close coupler (or pocket), finally bend the "eyes" to make a firm grip around the coupler. Be sure that you have a free movement of the moving parts on top of the coupler.

But, a remark: 3170 was delivered originally with clouse couplers in set 2870 in 1989 and 1990. This should (maybe) be avalible as spare parts, if we only knew the number.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline Vardex  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2006 12:00:32(UTC)
Vardex

Netherlands   
Maybe you will find something here;

http://www.maerklin.de/m...ontent.php#kurzgekuppelt

Bart
Offline intruder  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2006 19:59:57(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Hello

I have downloaded those pdf-files to my PC, but haven't examined them yet. I have seen them in Märklin Magazine, I think.
grumpy old sod
Offline intruder  
#7 Posted : 07 October 2006 20:38:08(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Hello Stew, and the rest of you

I have changed the couplers on my 3171, so far only one end.
The way I did it:

Remove and disassemble the couplings (or use new ones, #211280, as I did).
Cut off the front part of the coupler, as close to the "eyes" as possible. Grind and paint the bare matal.
UserPostedImage

Cut the "flat part" of a coupling pocket. I used long ones, #363950, as those were in my stock. Clean and glue the pocket to the coupler. I allways bend the eyes in and adjust the pocket before gluing. I fixed the front part of the pocket 1mm inside the end of the metal part. Sorry, my photo is a bit out of focus.
UserPostedImage

One old and one new coupler. As you see, it is not so big difference in the length.
UserPostedImage

This photo shows both ends from below. It's nothing wrong with your eyes, the center part of the locomotive is missing. One new and one old coupler.
UserPostedImage

The coupler height can be adjusted by bending the metal part slightly.
UserPostedImage

My small test inducates no interference with the bumpers in curves.
grumpy old sod
Offline Vardex  
#8 Posted : 07 October 2006 23:25:15(UTC)
Vardex

Netherlands   
Nice job.

Maybe I am wrong,but when looking at the last picture I think it is maybe better to glue the holder upside-down. It seems to me it then would be easier to get the correct height for the coupler.

Bart
Offline intruder  
#9 Posted : 08 October 2006 01:19:54(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Hi again, and thanks Bart.

Bart, maybe you are right. I also remember to have seen coupler pockets where the "roof" was thinner than the "floor". In case of #363950, as I used, they are identical, 0,8mm. The two units in my photo (in my previous post) connected very well.

Side wiev of partly inserted coupler. Notice the height offset in the coupler itself.
UserPostedImage

My attempt to make a close-up of the pocket seen from the front. Both the "roof" and the "floor" is 0,8mm thick.
UserPostedImage

I have meassured the height of the coupler pocket in the photo (in my previous post): 8,1mm, which is 0,4mm too low. The height should be 8,5 +/- 0,2mm.
By adjusting just a little bit on the metal holder (the "S"-shaped part), or by grinding off just a little bit on the "roof", or by finding another pocket with a thinner "roof"?

I also thought about cutting the roof off the pocket, just keep the walls and the floor, but then you might run into insulation problems with the current conducting coupler.
grumpy old sod
Offline DasBert33  
#10 Posted : 08 October 2006 13:01:45(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Thank you for the great tip! I just did exactly what you did on my E32 18 (they have the same chassis as the swedish loco). I had the NEM pockets and couplers already lying around to do this but you convinced me to proceed with it. I did not even have to glue it as you did. If you bend them correctly the grip is firm enough so that the coupling in the nem pocket will release sooner than the pocket itself.

Bert