Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bryan  
#1 Posted : 10 March 2024 07:28:03(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear all,

I am repairing a Trix 22329 (M37522) - De 6/6 Seetal Crocodile at the moment. It came in with a seized gear train. On inspection a number of gears including geared wheels were cracked. Marklin no longer have some of the gears for this loco as they were an outsourced model, in 2005 during Knightsbridge era. So unfortunately the loco can not be repaired.

I have come across this before, and it is due to the nylon gears expanding, thus stressing and cracking. The point being that Marklin in the main do keep stocks of their nylon gears, even the humble 1960's 3000 nylon gear is available. Other brands that outsource to China without factory spares thus have a life expectancy of about 20 years. One major reason I do not really like the design of non Marklin models.

Just to support the technical reason why the fatigue, below is some background from the nylon product definition. I am sure this will be of interest.

Quote-

The tight crystalline regions give nylon much of its strength, stiffness and wear resistance. The amorphous regions absorb the water, which then bonds to the polymer chain and force the crystalline structures apart. The result is nylon parts that swell and show diminished mechanical properties.

David
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bryan
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 10 March 2024 12:09:54(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, is this the green one? I have a M37521from 2002 or 03. Poor quality of the frames, and gears. Zinc pest in the frames can also seize the gears. Subsequent versions are improved.The new Marklin ownership provided no warranty coverage for the poor quality control of the former Kings bridge capital ownership.
I don't know if the gears are interchangeable. An Italian fabricator made replacements. Still might. Frames too, but they are expensive and I think it's more economical to get a new model, with sound.
Mine has been retired as a shelf queen for years because one nose frame has detached from the center and the cardan shaft doesn't stay in the worm gear socket. My gears looked ok last I inspected it.
A post from December 21,2017 covered these models with the defects. Crumbling Crocodile
I just bet that a good gear blueprint could be programmed to a 3D printer and using the best type of polymer new ones can be made. Other brands have used Delrin gears. Whichever Roco uses, they last a lifetime.Red, black and white colors.
Offline PeFu  
#3 Posted : 10 March 2024 13:27:04(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
This Italian guy had spare parts to save my 37521 Seetal having similar symptoms, and he still seems to have them in stock:

https://www.ebay.de/sch/...mp;_oac=1&_nkw=37521

I found his name on this great forum. My Seetal suffered from the infamous zinc pest, which also was the root cause for damaging some of the gears.

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by PeFu