Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eddie7979  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2024 00:56:06(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi everyone,

I recently bought 2 of the Roco OBB Maria Theresia sets and have doing the LED lighting (from ESU) installs.

Question I have for you all, does anyone have any tips on removing the roof sections from Roco passenger coaches?

This kit (and some SBB ones) have clip on roofs, the clips break so easily. I’ve had to buy replacements. Last night I noticed the clips on the restaurant car was broken as well, then couldn’t find the spare part listed on Roco’s website 🙄

I have about 5 SNCF coaches that I will work on next, I am already thinking of buying spare parts already!

Be awesome to learn if anyone has a technique they are willing to share. I am considering avoiding Roco in the future and just stick to Märklin and Piko as a first preference.

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eddie7979
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2024 02:38:41(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Eddie, I have Roco eurofima coaches and the roof's just unclip from the sides. I have newer SBB and euro city ones and they slide off to the end by removing the diaphragm and pushing.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2024 04:05:52(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The easiest way to open the earliest design 303mm Roco coaches (Eurofima) was to separate the shell from the chassis and then to use a jewellers screwdriver to release the clips from the roof to remove the roof. Starting with the UIC-X coaches, some models then switched to a design where you could remove the roof by sliding it to one side after popping off the gangway part.

Instructions to do this are included with each model in the box.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Eddie7979  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2024 06:19:11(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Eddie, I have Roco eurofima coaches and the roof's just unclip from the sides. I have newer SBB and euro city ones and they slide off to the end by removing the diaphragm and pushing.

Hello,
What seems to keep happening with me, the clips break off when I remove the roof. No matter how careful I am, I end up with 1 or 2 clips snapping.

I think I will need to use some glue in this case, I guess it’s somewhat lucky that that these clips are on the side. I will also see if I can find a second hand version, I noticed item 44647 seems to be the same design - this might be used for parts.

I have noticed the new designs, the sliding off and list is much better.

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Eddie7979  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2024 06:25:40(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The easiest way to open the earliest design 303mm Roco coaches (Eurofima) was to separate the shell from the chassis and then to use a jewellers screwdriver to release the clips from the roof to remove the roof. Starting with the UIC-X coaches, some models then switched to a design where you could remove the roof by sliding it to one side after popping off the gangway part.

Instructions to do this are included with each model in the box.

Regards

Mike C

Hi Mike,

The instructions for the OBB coaches just mentions the unclipping of the roof from the top.

The bodies of the SBB and the SNCF coaches can be removed from the chassis - so I know what you mean. I will take your tip and use the jewelers screwdriver to release the clips - seems like the safer way of doing it.

I hope that the sliding design will be used in future, it will save me from the frustration in the future!

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline river6109  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2024 11:45:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mike, you could come over to my place: 30 minute drive and show me your debacle, 99 % of my rolling stock is from Roco and I had a couple where as the roof slid off and broke the clips, none of the others which you pull the roof off., I also could help you with the interior lights

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Online David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2024 15:25:34(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Always been a problem. Works not bad opening once but if you need to get in a few times to adjust lighting or replace a passenger who has fallen off his seat that is where it becomes more likely that the roof will not clip back as it should. What we have is a cheap plastic model for which we pay a lot of cash. The least you should expect is easy entry to the interior which will always be required to repaint the one colour seats and floor etc and add lighting and passengers. Roco coaches for most run as well as Marklin and you have a better choice of models.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#8 Posted : 22 February 2024 18:18:36(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Funny timing, I arm-wrestled one of these for an hour the other day. Once you learn their assembly, it is fine, but what a job to learn...

As a more helpful reply though- I worry poor storage conditions may have brittled your plastic? I have never had an issue with this sort of thing, Roco or Marklin, EXCEPT with used items that over time I was realizing came to me from places with a lot of heat and humidity... (and presumably were not in a climate-controlled environment)
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 23 February 2024 02:54:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post
Funny timing, I arm-wrestled one of these for an hour the other day. Once you learn their assembly, it is fine, but what a job to learn...

As a more helpful reply though- I worry poor storage conditions may have brittled your plastic? I have never had an issue with this sort of thing, Roco or Marklin, EXCEPT with used items that over time I was realizing came to me from places with a lot of heat and humidity... (and presumably were not in a climate-controlled environment)

Roco must have had a batch of passenger carriages in the past, whereas the whole base just fell apart when I tried to take the carriage apart., never happened again

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Eddie7979  
#10 Posted : 23 February 2024 05:21:06(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Mike, you could come over to my place: 30 minute drive and show me your debacle, 99 % of my rolling stock is from Roco and I had a couple where as the roof slid off and broke the clips, none of the others which you pull the roof off., I also could help you with the interior lights

John

Hi John,

Always good to know fellow Marklin model railroaders in Perth!

When time permits, I will definitely reach out to you and learn your techniques. I’m also happy to share any knowledge I have as well, though I’m technically still somewhat of a novice!

I have 2 more Roco OBB coaches that need the lights installed, I’m just waiting for the LEDs and some other parts.

I have checked out some of the videos you have on YouTube - it’s really impressive!

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Eddie7979  
#11 Posted : 23 February 2024 05:30:25(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Always been a problem. Works not bad opening once but if you need to get in a few times to adjust lighting or replace a passenger who has fallen off his seat that is where it becomes more likely that the roof will not clip back as it should. What we have is a cheap plastic model for which we pay a lot of cash. The least you should expect is easy entry to the interior which will always be required to repaint the one colour seats and floor etc and add lighting and passengers. Roco coaches for most run as well as Marklin and you have a better choice of models.

Hi David,

I totally agree, i also had issues where I needed to open the coach a second time.

I’m also a bit frustrated that Roco doesn’t seem to have the full list of spare parts for current models.

On this occasion, the set I have comes with 2 coaches and 1 restaurant car. Looking at the spare parts (that are all listed in German, even if English is selected), the description just comes up as being ‘roof lacquered grey’. There is no way of knowing which of the 2 coaches the roof for.

Personally, I’m really impressed with the Piko coaches. They are easy to take apart, the LEDs provide an even lighting and they also look / perform great.

There is no doubt that Roco have a great selection, I just hope they move away from the current design.

Regards,

Eddie
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Eddie7979  
#12 Posted : 23 February 2024 05:40:13(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: 5HorizonsRR Go to Quoted Post

Hello,

You could have a point, it might be due to the quality of the plastics in the past too and resistance to differences in climate.

On this end, I have locomotives and rolling stock from Marklin that was purchased in Belgium during the early 80s. Moving to Australia with my parents, it was packed away in storage for a long time and exposed heat / cold temperatures at times - but always kept dry.

We don’t have many humid days here luckily.

Going through the locomotives and rolling stock, they are in good condition (luckily for me).

That said, I do try avoid buying rolling stock that is too old for concerns you highlighted but also comparability.

Regards,

Eddie

Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail