Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alex H  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2024 15:59:50(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi. The yellow tracks in the images below are part offa small storage yard for small wagons. When looking at it, I feel that there should be an easier way to achieve this, especially on the bottom track - it seems to use so many very small pieces.

Am I being paranoid, or can someone suggest a better way?

Thanks

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 14.54.17.png (1,012kb) downloaded 281 time(s).
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2024 22:24:17(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post
Hi. The yellow tracks in the images below are part offa small storage yard for small wagons. When looking at it, I feel that there should be an easier way to achieve this, especially on the bottom track - it seems to use so many very small pieces.

Two 24224 should take care of the curve, at least.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Pasquiles  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2024 00:02:35(UTC)
Pasquiles

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post

Two 24224 should take care of the curve, at least.

Agree
Offline Alex H  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2024 08:48:11(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Thanks both

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2024 09:04:40(UTC)
H0

24094+24077=24172. (Upper track)
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Alex H  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2024 09:57:33(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
24094+24077=24172. (Upper track)

BigGrin BigGrin
Offline PacoM  
#7 Posted : 26 February 2024 17:19:17(UTC)
PacoM

Spain   
A bit of assymmetry may be even attractivefan.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PacoM
Offline PacoM  
#8 Posted : 26 February 2024 17:55:26(UTC)
PacoM

Spain   
An alternativefan-2.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PacoM
Online Copenhagen  
#9 Posted : 27 February 2024 10:10:51(UTC)
Copenhagen

Two great solutions from PacoM above. Even if a bit more elegant I would caution the use of a three-way turnout. It can cause problems with some rolling stock in my experience.
Offline dickinsonj  
#10 Posted : 28 February 2024 00:57:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
Two great solutions from PacoM above. Even if a bit more elegant I would caution the use of a three-way turnout. It can cause problems with some rolling stock in my experience.

I have four three-way turnouts and they do indeed cause me problems, sometimes even when set for straight and not turning. The worst offenders are the small two axle wagons that rock and roll as they pass through them, even at slow speeds. I have tried to figure out why but I have never come up with an answer.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline revmox  
#11 Posted : 28 February 2024 04:16:40(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Some forum members cut standard Marklin track pieces to simplify or create a particular track configuration - it is quite easy to do - but others may see it as sacrilege.

Your original design then becomes much simpler and cheaper to achieve - especially with all those dead-end sidings. There are many posts available about how to do it. Done properly, no one will ever be able to tell.
Online Copenhagen  
#12 Posted : 28 February 2024 09:09:10(UTC)
Copenhagen

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

I have four three-way turnouts and they do indeed cause me problems, sometimes even when set for straight and not turning. The worst offenders are the small two axle wagons that rock and roll as they pass through them, even at slow speeds. I have tried to figure out why but I have never come up with an answer.

I only have one threeway switch. One general problem that also occurs with standard turnouts is wheel spacing adjustment. If the wagons have DC wheels they usually have to be adjusted to a smaller spacing.
Another problem can be with small locomotives that that lose connection and stop at some places (and at some speeds).
A third thing is the construction of the turnout tongues and the way they work. If the tongues don't move to their fullest extent it can lead to derailments in some directions.
Offline hxmiesa  
#13 Posted : 29 February 2024 08:25:17(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post

Most probably because the design relies on the height/depth of the oversize Märklin flanges of the wheels. With more modern rolling stock, the wheels "fall into" the track. -As in; They dont really roll on top of the track, but runs on the top of the flanges on top of the track-bed (look for a metal insert in the "heart-pieces"(*).

(*); Herzstück in german... RollEyes
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Online Copenhagen  
#14 Posted : 29 February 2024 09:25:50(UTC)
Copenhagen

To Henrik above: exactly and spot on. I have a double slip switch that I've had to modify with conductive paint and I have improved my threeway switch by gluing a thin strip of aluminum foil to it somewhere.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen