Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline km90  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2024 18:47:13(UTC)
km90

Sweden   
Hello,

After many years of absence from the model railroad world, I recently acquired a starter set from Märklin to find my way back. Unfortunately, I ran into problems right away..

Acquired set 29469, but when I go to add the locomotive to the Mobile Station, it only finds the locomotive via DCC, resulting in me not being able to run the locomotive. Sound and the warning light works, but the front light flashes a little every now and then instead of constantly. According to the manual (and various Youtube videos), MS should be able to identify the locomotive via MFX, but I fail to initiate this at all. Have tried to reset both loco and MS with no better results. Anyone have any tips on how to fix this?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2024 19:43:44(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi xx (a first name and short presentation would be great)
Not sure what happened in your case and if the set is brand new (never used before).

The MS2 manual is here https://static.maerklin....c07622e4781702905878.pdf

The MS2 is set to ignore the MFX protocol
The simplest for a first start is to reset the MS2 to factory setting
settings ==> Check page 20 of the above manual Reset (Factory Default Settings MS2)

The MFX registration is garbled
One possibility is to install the loco while the power in ON. NEVER do this as it starts a registration process that is later interrupted and garbled.
On the MS2 you may ask it to find "lost" MFX locos WHILE only the loco in question is on the track.
The fonction Finding a Locomotive on page 7 of the manual allows you to find and control the loco

Reset the loco to factory setting
It will unlock any previous setting someone may have made (on purpose / by mistake)
The fonction Reset Loco (Factory Settings) on the MS2 is explained on page 19

I hope this helps
Cheers
Jean

Offline km90  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2024 20:52:42(UTC)
km90

Sweden   
Hi,

Thank you for your suggestions. I've already tried these steps, unfortunately with no result.

/Kristian
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2024 21:24:58(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Kristian
There remains the possibility that the MFX protocol has been blocked
CV 50 allows to select which protocols are allowed.
All protocols allowed --> CV50=15

Sans titre.png
Cheers
Jean
Offline km90  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2024 21:49:17(UTC)
km90

Sweden   
Thanks for this suggestion. I tried this as well before, even by putting value 8, and also putting MS to only read MFX, but at this point the MS won't find the loco. The current value is 15, and MS (which has been reset to see all protocols) still only finds it as DCC.
Online mike c  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2024 23:01:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Simple solution actually.

Did you have the locomotive registered in your library.
Normally, the MS would recognize this and open the locomotive
It is failing to do this and then failing to recognize the locomotive as a new mfx
Look in the manual for the loco and then search through your MS library for the problematic locomotive.
Delete the locomotive from your library
Mfx: 367 004-9 DB AG (unless it was modified from OES)

Then place the locomotive on the track and it should technically recognize the mfx at this point and open a fully functional window

You may also wish to delete any DCC page it has created for that decoder/locomotive

Regards

Mike C
Offline km90  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2024 00:29:07(UTC)
km90

Sweden   
I went through the library, and unfortunately no loco with this name exists.
Online mike c  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2024 05:24:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Was the set purchased new from a dealer or was it purchased used/second hand (eBay/tradera/etc)?
If the original owner changed the MFX id, you would have to figure out what was done.

For the moment, connect your MS to a 360mm track section, put your loco on and try adding the loco from the database 29469
See if that works.

Is there a dealer in your area where you could take the loco to see if it works there? I would also recommend asking the dealer to update your MS if needed.

FYI, there are three libraries, the Maerklin database which includes all models that Maerklin provided the factory data for, the 10 registers displayed on your screen at all times plus the extended library of a number of locos that you have added, but are not in the 10 (ready locos) displayed on the screen.

Do you have an analog transformer or an older 6021? Try putting the loco on a test track and move it a bit and then place it back on the MS programming test track.
If you don't have either of these, connect wires to a 9V battery and connect one to the slider and the other to one of the wheels and then disconnect and put the loco back on the test track.

See if that helps the MS recognize it.

Regards

Mike C
Offline km90  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2024 11:06:44(UTC)
km90

Sweden   
The set is brand new from a dealer (they even had to order from the manufacturer as they were out of stock) so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've no loco 29469 in the database. The firmware on the MS is 3.148.

I found some success, as I could manually add the loco through the loco's MM-address. I can now drive it, but I only get 4 functions instead of the 14. I still can't trigger it through MFX.
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2024 11:27:30(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: km90 Go to Quoted Post
I found some success, as I could manually add the loco through the loco's MM-address.
Theoretically Märklin mfx locos will not respond to their MM address if there is mfx or DCC present on the track.

By default, your MS2 should be configured to emit all protocols to the track (mfx, DCC, MM). Please check if all track protocols are activated.

Using DCC you should be able to trigger all functions, but without automatic registration.

Using MM you are limited to 5 functions per address. You should be able to trigger more functions by using four addresses for that single loco, but it makes things complicated and this should not be necessary.

Protocols can also be disabled in the loco. If all protocols are active in the MS2, then checking protocols in the loco will be the next step.
Resetting the loco should achieve that easily.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline km90  
#11 Posted : 13 February 2024 11:41:22(UTC)
km90

Sweden   
All protocols are activated. I've even tried with MFX only. I've changed CV50 on the loco to 8 just to ensure that only MFX (And now also MM because the active protocol can't be removed) is activated on the loco.

I tried the loco again, still on same MM. Now I don't have any lights but I can still drive it and use two of the sound functions.
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 13 February 2024 11:45:20(UTC)
H0

Have you tried writing 8 to CV 8? That should reset the loco.

If the dealer is not too far away, then maybe visit the dealer so your MS2 can be tested with another mfx loco and your loco can be tested with another mfx controller.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline km90  
#13 Posted : 13 February 2024 11:49:41(UTC)
km90

Sweden   
Tried CV 8 to 8 and re-adding the loco, it still only wants to add it through MM. If I put the MS to only read MFX, then it finds no loco..

Unfortunately, I purchased the set from Germany (I live in Sweden) as this starter set was not available in my country, so visiting the dealer can be a bit tricky..
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by km90
H0
Offline km90  
#14 Posted : 13 February 2024 12:21:53(UTC)
km90

Sweden   
So, after resetting the loco and then again adding it through MM resulted in that the loco doesn't respond to any commands anymore.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by km90
Offline marklinist5999  
#15 Posted : 13 February 2024 12:29:01(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Must be defective. Return it for an exchange or refund.
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 13 February 2024 12:39:12(UTC)
H0

So, after resetting the loco and then again adding it through MM resulted in that the loco doesn't respond to any commands anymore.
Make sure the MS2 is set to "MM" only.

Another possible test is setting the MS2 to "DCC" only and trying Detect Loco again.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline km90  
#17 Posted : 13 February 2024 12:46:36(UTC)
km90

Sweden   
Tried both, loco doesn't get detected at all.

If I enable all protocols, it finds it through MM. However, it doesn't respond to any commands.
Online mike c  
#18 Posted : 13 February 2024 18:20:45(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
What happens if you manually add a locomotive from the database and select the 29469 from the list?

I still think that you should try powering the loco from an analog source, be it an old transformer. If you don't have one, connect wires to a 9V battery (one lead to slider, one lead to wheel) and let the model run for 10 seconds or more. Then place the locomotive on the programming track and see if it is detected.

Is this the only locomotive that you have at the moment?

Send an email describing your issue to digital(at)marklin.com and maybe Curtis and Rick can help. You can also contact service(at)maerklin.de and see if they can offer you any suggestions.

Regards

Mike C
Offline km90  
#19 Posted : 13 February 2024 18:26:52(UTC)
km90

Sweden   
The thing is, I've no 29469 in the database list. This is the only loco I've right now, same with other equipment etc.

I've now given up a bit, as nothing seems to work, so I've started a ticket with the dealer and Märklin and see if they might know what it can be.
Offline cintrans  
#20 Posted : 13 February 2024 21:41:07(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
The thing is, I've no 29469 in the database list......

Is there a BR367 in the list?
If there is, perhaps you can try that to manually enter?

Regards
Jean-Pierre

Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 13 February 2024 22:20:19(UTC)
H0

The thing is, I've no 29469 in the database list.
That is normal: There are no mfx locos in the product database.

Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post
Is there a BR367 in the list?
If there is, perhaps you can try that to manually enter?
mfx locos cannot be selected from the database, they will only work if they register automatically.
They can be used with MM or DCC if mfx/DCC or mfx respectively is disabled in the controller.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline hxmiesa  
#22 Posted : 13 February 2024 22:48:12(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I doubt it is "brand new". Would it be posible to carefully remove the body, and take a photo of the insides?
Especially to see if something has been changed/soldered.

Also about the MS2 controller; Is it really the original one that should have come with the set?

Is it possible that you have been supplied with a B-ware? (a returned item). -If not from the dealer, then maybe from a distributor?
(Would be interessting to know the name of the dealer. I was once sent a B-ware (sold as new) from a very popular and -by some- glorified german dealer)

If less than 2 weeks has passed since the purchase on internet, you have the right to return it for a full refund. No reason needed.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
H0
Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 13 February 2024 23:08:02(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
If less than 2 weeks has passed since the purchase on internet, you have the right to return it for a full refund. No reason needed.
Four weeks with some dealers.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#24 Posted : 13 February 2024 23:22:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I doubt it is "brand new".

I would be worried if it wasn't brand new, as that set is still in stock at marklin.

Offline hxmiesa  
#25 Posted : 14 February 2024 22:17:08(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I doubt it is "brand new".

I would be worried if it wasn't brand new, as that set is still in stock at marklin.

I am referring to brand-new, as in not pre-owned, or in any other way untouched.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline David Dewar  
#26 Posted : 15 February 2024 14:12:18(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Might be helpful if we know the dealer. Hopefully not eBay although there are good dealers also use eBay but there are a few who will sell without fully testing the goods.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar