Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Tie  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2024 19:53:48(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Hi all
I have a loco that do not run smootly any more. Have been more and more erractic. Gears and axles cleaned and oiled running freely. Motor do not spin freely. But possibly that is typical due to the magnets? Anyway; I decided to check the price and found marklin say permanently out of stock, but something about novelty? I did not understand that. Does it mean some new design will be available as spare motor in the future?

Regards
Thor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2024 20:37:49(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
E mail Modellbahn Union in Germany and ask for a retrofit motor. They sell many. Any can motor that fits any Marklin br 216, or 218 will also fit.
Offline Tie  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2024 21:07:12(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Thanks. I will try that. Checked E bay but then only for exact match to part number. The motor seemed a little special compared to my other locos. First the shaft drive links in each end, but also the flat belt cable/conductor from the decoder…
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2024 21:13:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Tie Go to Quoted Post
Thanks. I will try that. Checked E bay but then only for exact match to part number. The motor seemed a little special compared to my other locos. First the shaft drive links in each end, but also the flat belt cable/conductor from the decoder…

This loco has a Soft Sine motor, which is why it has the flexible flat cable. A normal motor is not a suitable replacement without changing the electronics.

Why do you believe the motor is faulty?

It is more likely to be the electronics on that model, and replacement electronics are available from SB Modellbau I understand. I haven't had occaision to try replacing any of these, but other people seem quite pleased with them.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Tie  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2024 22:03:57(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Actually I do not necessarily suspect the motot only. But quite certain it is not the power transfer from rails nor the gears. I have a spare msd3 decoder which I have earlier used to sort out if electronics are to blame. However the decoder in this looo is very different. But I guess I can sort out the power transfer to the motor.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2024 22:52:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi all
I have a loco that do not run smootly any more. Have been more and more erractic. Gears and axles cleaned and oiled running freely. Motor do not spin freely. But possibly that is typical due to the magnets? Anyway; I decided to check the price and found marklin say permanently out of stock, but something about novelty? I did not understand that. Does it mean some new design will be available as spare motor in the future?

Regards
Thor

Hi Thor
The motor is a SDS, usually the best motor Märklin ever produced but it fails sometimes.
I understand one good way to make them fail is to lubricate them. Have you? They have ball bearings.

Those SDS motor are not available since a decade or so (result of Märklin's bankruptcy.
Please doublecheck that the SDS motor or its driving PCB (not the 21MTC decoder) as converting to a "normal" motor is a huge jump backwards (but sometimes you have no choice)

For different reasons I replaced the 21MTC decoder by a mSD3 on a SNCF CC40108 and it works perfectly. I did the programming with a CS3 and nothing else except a memory stick for storing sounds

Clean all surplus of oil and grease and lubricate with mârklin oil (very very little) and Trix grease on the wormgears.
Wipe any dirt, oil on the SDS motor and do not lubricate it.
I have 10 SDS locos and their running is fabulous compared with today's 600€ locos
Cheers
Jean

PS : those SDS motors do not like voltage fluctuations as they convert into speed fluctuations so make sure pick-up is good and rails, wheels, slider are clean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Tie  
#7 Posted : 24 January 2024 08:29:50(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Thanks for good tips. I will test some more. I have a Cannibalized BR 81 that I have used as extra current pick up. Towing it as a vagon and soldering the extra current pick up from the br81 to the decoder input on the loco in question. Assume if problem still exist I assume current supply is not the problem.
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 24 January 2024 09:44:37(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Thanks for good tips. I will test some more. I have a Cannibalized BR 81 that I have used as extra current pick up. Towing it as a vagon and soldering the extra current pick up from the br81 to the decoder input on the loco in question. Assume if problem still exist I assume current supply is not the problem.

I would not assume anything. Often it can be the earthing through the wheels etc… this causing the same power supply issues as a worn/dirty slider.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Tie  
#9 Posted : 24 January 2024 15:18:56(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Agree to that, but when I get extra wheels and extra slider connected it should be reasonably assumption. For this loco the erractic speed comes with such short frequencies that I actually could connect long wires directly between the track supply and decoder. And hold the wires above the loco when running a meter for test. I will find out.
Actually the start up question was the meaning of english text in marklin spare part list. Permanently out of stock i understood, but the text below containing the word novelty I did not understand…. But hoping it indicated some replacement motor in the furure
Offline mvd71  
#10 Posted : 24 January 2024 15:23:04(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Novelty is a word Märklin often use to describe something they are selling that year.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Tie  
#11 Posted : 11 February 2024 12:44:12(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Hi
Still working on this loco. Have cleaned the gears,wheels pickup etc. but durig dismantling I broke the top cover of the worm house. Very happy to have modelled and 3D printed replacements. Looking forward to try loco again.
Thor Inge
IMG_6975.jpegIMG_6976.jpeg
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 11 February 2024 19:04:13(UTC)
H0

Actually the start up question was the meaning of english text in marklin spare part list. Permanently out of stock i understood, but the text below containing the word novelty I did not understand…. But hoping it indicated some replacement motor in the furure
I don't understand it either.
Fact is that the SDS was rather small.
When Märklin switched to dirt-cheap cost-effective can motors, they had to adjust the loco frame to make more room for the motor.
I think it is very unlikely that there will be smaller motors to replace the SDS in the future. Since I have quite a few SDS locos, I'd be happy to know there are replacements.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0