Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 10 January 2024 15:57:49(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Hello I have now been using my Viessmann 4568 testing them on some of my C-track turnout using directly track power for ease of testing.

I want now to use an outside power source but the Viessmann instruction are not very clear to me on what I can use since it is not a solenoid like Marklin but a motor moving the part.

Will a M83 do the job without burning everything or should I use something different?
Offline costing  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2024 16:18:23(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
I've connected such switch motors plus all accessories to a separate circuit, powered by a DCC booster. In particular I've used this one with an old 19V laptop power supply, but any other model should also do.
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2024 16:29:29(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
So you have kept the signal that talk to the CS3 (or other) connected to the track but just put the power feed on your booster if I understand your set up?
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2024 20:58:23(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Ok guys I am still at a loos as to how to use a seperate booster for the Viessmann 4568. It needs the connection to my CS3 but I have tried all permutation with the 4 wires coming out of it but no luck.
Is it possible if so how?

Brown wire to where?
yellow to where?
Blue red to where?
Blue green to where?

I am at a loss. Thanks
Offline rbw993  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2024 22:39:32(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Figure 6 in the 4568 manual shows how to hook it up. Just substitute a booster for the central station.

Regards,
Roger
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2024 23:40:09(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Figure 6 in the 4568 manual shows how to hook it up. Just substitute a booster for the central station.

Regards,
Roger

Thank for answering back but I must be dumb because I don’t understand how I will control the turnout if I substitute CS3 with a booster???

I want a booster to feed the current to the 4568 but I also want the CS3 to control the turnout. How do I achieve both?

Thanks for any answer.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2024 00:19:06(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post

Regards,
Roger

Thank for answering back but I must be dumb because I don’t understand how I will control the turnout if I substitute CS3 with a booster???

I want a booster to feed the current to the 4568 but I also want the CS3 to control the turnout. How do I achieve both?

Thanks for any answer.

What are you using for a booster? How is it connected to the cs3?

A properly connected booster will repeat the signals from the cs3, so the output of the booster has the same signal as comes from the cs3. You just do operations on the cs3 and the booster sends the same signal to your devices.

Offline Puttputtmaru  
#8 Posted : 07 February 2024 00:35:07(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
KiwiAlan thank you very much for the answer now I understand my limited knowledge

I wanted to use a power source similar to what I will use for my lighting.

I see now that this will not do.

Would you have a suggestion as to a booster that will accomplished what you explained?
Offline rbw993  
#9 Posted : 07 February 2024 02:56:54(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
For best compatibility I use Marklin power supplies and boosters. Any Marklin dealer should be able to help you out.
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#10 Posted : 07 February 2024 03:15:14(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Thanks for all the help guys. Looking around I saw a post by johnjeanb in this thread:

https://www.marklin-user...feed-for-digital-devices Post#8

Quote:
my layout drives more than 100 solenoid devices (relays switches, servos) so the equivalent of 25 60832) and with 32 sound locos, illuminated coaches, switch lanterns, the total idle current (no train moving but all illuminated with sound) is 2.7 A and the total current draw rises to 3.5 A when in operation (My CS3 is powered by a 100W DC power unit (60101) and NO booster.

I think I will go that route. Marklin 60195 will be the ticket for me. The Viessmann being self contained in the turn-out will save a lot of wiring that way.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 07 February 2024 11:16:35(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Puttputtmaru

I find the easiest is to change the "normal" 60W power supply with a 100 W one when using a CS2 / CS3. I have used it since 2012 and it works perfectly fine for me.
Because switches are in digital only one is commanded at any given time.

Because you use Viessmann 4568:
- the permanent current is higher (30mA) than when using Märklin decoder (so you need a bit more power)
- the V4568 are slow motion (it takes like 2 seconds to set) but need much smaller current (<100 mA) when operating than solénoid (0.4A) so 5 or 6 are operating at the same time and not more.
- so using Viessmann 4568 or Märklin decoders does not change the fact that NO MATTER HOW MANY POINTS you have you will need a power reserve of approx. 400mA and not an expensive pair of booster + power supply

Cheers
Jean
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#12 Posted : 07 February 2024 16:28:25(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Puttputtmaru

I find the easiest is to change the "normal" 60W power supply with a 100 W one when using a CS2 / CS3. I have used it since 2012 and it works perfectly fine for me.
Because switches are in digital only one is commanded at any given time.

Because you use Viessmann 4568:
- the permanent current is higher (30mA) than when using Märklin decoder (so you need a bit more power)
- the V4568 are slow motion (it takes like 2 seconds to set) but need much smaller current (<100 mA) when operating than solénoid (0.4A) so 5 or 6 are operating at the same time and not more.
- so using Viessmann 4568 or Märklin decoders does not change the fact that NO MATTER HOW MANY POINTS you have you will need a power reserve of approx. 400mA and not an expensive pair of booster + power supply

Cheers
Jean

Thank you very much for taking the time for this even more in depth answer building on your previous post. I will proceed with the 100W supply Marklin 60195
Offline Drongo  
#13 Posted : 08 February 2024 04:26:01(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Fellas,

Jean made the point that the Viessmann unit is a slow motion, however you can change the speed of it by changing CV37 - I use speed 5 and it works well.

Regards
Gregt
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#14 Posted : 08 February 2024 13:13:30(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
Hi Fellas,

Jean made the point that the Viessmann unit is a slow motion, however you can change the speed of it by changing CV37 - I use speed 5 and it works well.

Regards
Gregt

Good to know, thanks.
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#15 Posted : 10 February 2024 19:11:06(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
I just wanted to share something I found by accident.

Both blue wires are only for programming the turnout to the address you want to use. Once done they do not have to stay connected.

This saves space and fiddling around trying to fit everything in the limited space under the turnout. Just shorten them to be able to use alligator clip.

It saves a lot of soldering as you can use alligator clip to do the temporary connection needed for programming. Only the Yellow and Brown wire need to be soldered permanently for a long term layout.

Just thought I would share.

EDIT:
And to make sure since a discussion had me wonder if I was right doing this. I asked Viessmann and they answered very kindly and fast.
« Hello, The blue wires (with red and green ring) can be unconnected to the yellow and brown wire. This blue wire are not importent for the function of 4568. Regards J.Meier»
Thank you Viessmann, great service.

Edited by user 12 February 2024 14:00:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Puttputtmaru