Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline roundsaturn31  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2024 02:42:20(UTC)
roundsaturn31

United States   
Hi there guys, new to the forum and new to Marklin 1 gauge.....

I bought a used 0-6-0 that is older but looks like it was never used at all. I have a simple single loop of track going around the walls of a 15X10 home office space.

I am using a marklin 60657 mobile station and a 60114 digital connector box along with my power supply.

When I set the locomotive on the track I can't control the lights on/off and the locomotive runs in only one direction and at a medium speed regardless of throttle comands unless I hit stop.

Couldn't find info on the marklin website.

I was thinking that it is delta or a real old decoder style, as it has an 8 position dip switch on the board. Doesn't look like anything modern that I have ever seen.

Any ideas?

Also, if I use just a transformer (analog style) straight to the rails the front light goes on and nothing happens upon giving it positive throttle.

Thanks much,
Todd

Locomotive has the number code D7030186 on the bottom. At one point I found it on eBay as part of a set with a couple cars but of course as I looked for it to give you gents more info I couldn't find it. It was a set called the train from (some German citty starting with a G) I believe. The loco has a carnival/fair type label on each side and a gold tag that reads Reben Bummler on each side under the window.
Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2024 08:31:43(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Hello Roundsaturn31 ( ? )

It sounds like you have the loco from Märklin set 55042 BigGrin

https://www.ebay.de/itm/305306418488

https://www.google.com/s...&bih=603&dpr=1.5

The decoder in the loco is called DELTA, it's more-or-less the first digital system made by Märklin BigGrin

If all the dip-switches are set to off - which they usually are when the loco is new from factory - the loco should run analog on a Märklin AC transformer Cool

If you want to use your Mobile Station, you have to set an address with the dip switches, and the find the same address on the Mobile Station BigGrin

The address coding is described here, with another controller; but it should provide the information you need: https://www.marklin-user...er-and-4f-control--66045

Please ask again if this doesn't help you BigGrin

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2024 13:37:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

The decoder in the loco is called DELTA,

Not when it has 8 DIP switches, all the DELTA decoders including G1 ones had 4 switches.

Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2024 15:16:18(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Not when it has 8 DIP switches, all the DELTA decoders including G1 ones had 4 switches.

You are right; but the 55042 is listed as a DELTA loc in the Märklin Modellplan - it could be an error Cool

55041 is listed as "Electronischer Umschalter" and 55043 / 55044 is listed as "Digital-Decoder" Cool

The instructions for the 8 DIP switches are still valid; the name of the decoder is not making the loco run BigGrin

Per.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline roundsaturn31  
#5 Posted : 09 January 2024 04:30:43(UTC)
roundsaturn31

United States   
Thank you guys for the help. You are correct in that my locomotive is the one you pictured above.

I set the dip switch to 24 and then entered the locomotive into the mobile station as a new locomotive using the enter mannually mode as address 24.

Unfortunately things remain the same. I can't control the lights, but if I hit the stop button to take it off of stop the locomotive runs....very confusing.

I also read somewhere that only certain numbers work for Delta. The loco had a small sticker on the bottom #4, so I figured that was Delta 4 or 24.

Any suggestions welcome, thanks again guys.
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 09 January 2024 09:02:37(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

It should work on all the addresses in the list, it doesn't have to be a DELTA address - I was wrong about it being DELTA Cool

You could try to "massage" the dip switches, turning them on and off a few times, to be sure they make a connection when they're on Cool

And maybe a wild guess, I don't know how the loco would react in that case; but are you sure the Mobile Station are set to the MM protocol and not the DCC?

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline roundsaturn31  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2024 04:33:34(UTC)
roundsaturn31

United States   
Hi again, got home from work and tried your suggestion (to make sure I was in MM protocol not digital) that must have been what I was doing wrong.

Set the 8 position micro dip switch to 2-4-5-7 and told the mobile station to add locomotive #4 and it worked. The locomotive runs both directions and I am able to turn the lights on/off.

The speed controller works, but not perfectly...in either direction when I add speed to the setting the locomotive speeds up and then when I bring the speed down it slows down but won't come to a complete stop, it just continues to crawl around unless I press stop.

Thinking of putting a modern sound decoder in this, any suggestions as to what one is best for this locomotive in your expert opinion?

Lastly, is there a good online place to buy replacement couplers for this loco, one is missing and one is bent. Other than that the loco looks brand new.

THANK YOU so much for your time and help :)
Offline gcanton  
#8 Posted : 10 January 2024 16:47:23(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
Hello,

The running slow when stopped, I would check the output of the mobile station is on only Marklin with DCC turned off if you have not already. I have found the very early decoders get confused with more modern digital signals on the track and indeed some won't run at all with a multiprotocal mixed track signal. I've had the just running slow with a friends gauge 1 Bavarian Mallet on an ECos that needed to see only Marklin data on the track. I've also had to turn off DC and AC compatibility with mfx and loksound decoders running outside as they misread the doubtless mangled track data running on damp ballasted track but indoors and with an old decoder that is not relevant.

If the loco has a can motor and you only intend to run with 3-4 trucks behind it an HO decoder is half the price of a large scale one and would be happy. Because the sound programming is proprietary and except for a CS3 uses the manufacturers decoder programmer it is good to use the decoders from one manufacturer and Marklin are slightly cheaper than ESU or indeed Zimo I believe. There are Bluetooth programming decoders appearing that are programmed by app on a phone which is easier but I think for US and UK prototypes currently. Although that could change with 2024 product releases.

Do you know somebody with a programmer to borrow which would decide the one to choose?

Old model railway electronics can be hard work to keep compatible, especially with multiple protocols on the track hoping a 1980's or early 90's decoder can unscramble it.

Good Luck,

Graham

Offline Purellum  
#9 Posted : 10 January 2024 21:50:06(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: roundsaturn31 Go to Quoted Post
Thinking of putting a modern sound decoder in this, any suggestions as to what one is best for this locomotive in your expert opinion?

I would go for an ESU loksound L, it is the size between the "normal" H0 decoder and the XL, which is for bigger locos Cool

I'm not an expert; but have seen a lot of conversions done by others; for the BR80 a Loksound L is the preferred choice Cool

Originally Posted by: roundsaturn31 Go to Quoted Post
Lastly, is there a good online place to buy replacement couplers for this loco, one is missing and one is bent. Other than that the loco looks brand new.

I don't know; but I'll send you my email address in a personal message; then you can mail me a picture of the coupler you have, and I can see if I can find 2 new ones for you - I have a lot of strange spares lying BigGrin

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum