Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Flupke  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2023 15:19:18(UTC)
Flupke

United States   
I am in the process of configuring the signal but confused by how to do it.

1:Out of the box the attached decoder has a brown and yellow wire combo connector attached. The instructions show that you need to attach this to the connectors on the CS. But then on the following step they show a red and brown cable coming out of the place where the yellow and brown was. Do I just replace the cable? (The connector with the red and brown cable come with the signal)

2:They tell you to keep the metal clamp on the decoder to program it, but they don't tell you if you should remove it after it is programmed.

Thanks.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2023 15:36:01(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
On the older generation Marklin signal, there is a metal clamp to force programming mode
Once finished programming, you turn the power off and remove the signal from its box
You are now in operation mode
Usually red and brown wires are for traction while yellow and brown are for signal control
They are Simultaneously connected to the decoder
See here page 19
https://static.maerklin....986852fcd91434542431.pdf
Cheers
Jean
Offline Flupke  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2023 15:59:28(UTC)
Flupke

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
On the older generation Marklin signal, there is a metal clamp to force programming mode
Once finished programming, you turn the power off and remove the signal from its box
Usually red and brown wires are for traction while yellow and brown are for signal control
See here page 19
Cheers
Jean

Merci Jean,

from the instructions it seems that they use the yellow and brown for the non-digital and the red and brown for the digital. So, I guess I can just replace the connector with the yellow and brown with the connector with the red and brown.

Philippe

Offline Flupke  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2023 20:42:54(UTC)
Flupke

United States   
Hi
See here page 19
Cheers
Jean

For a couple of days I have tried to configure my signal. I connected the signal to my programming rail and added a signal in the CS3 ,with what I think is the correct type HP 0/1/2. Added an address and set the timing to 1000 ms.

The signal is flashing the red, yellow and green light in sequence. I click on OK and nothing really happens. The signal continues to alternate red, yellow and green. I suspect it is still in programming mode and not operational mode. Do I have to remove the metal clamp to take it out of programming mode? How do I know I have correctly programed it?

Thanks,

Philippe

Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 25 November 2023 01:25:01(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hello Philippe
Those signals are very different from todays signals. They are MM2-only (I think)

Signal in the box (with the programming shunt in place)
- after a power on, the signal listen during 30 seconds for the first order received (e.g. adress 125, protocol MM2) and it will store this in its memory
- after 30 seconds, the signal enters the demo mode (too late, try again)

Signal out of the box
- the signal will execute any orders that correspond to its set address.

So, how to program it easily?
- on your CS2, CS3, MS1, MS2 make sure you have already created the image for your signal
- when ready connect your signal with the shunt in place and power-up your CS.
- once the CS is active (STOP is off), command the signal at the address you have assigned to it IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS
- push the STOP bar to make it light, remove the signal from its box. The programming is finished

Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 25 November 2023 14:12:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hello Philippe
Those signals are very different from todays signals. They are MM2-only (I think)

I think they are the earliest mfx signals, and need an update to work with the later mfx controllers.

Do the signals have a red sticker on them that has a '2' or 'v2' on it? if not they need to go back to marklin to have the firmware updated.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Flupke  
#7 Posted : 25 November 2023 16:28:50(UTC)
Flupke

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Hello Philippe

I think they are the earliest mfx signals, and need an update to work with the later mfx controllers.

Do the signals have a red sticker on them that has a '2' or 'v2' on it? if not they need to go back to marklin to have the firmware updated.

Alan,
No, they do not have a sticker 2 or V2 on them. So, you are pretty sure they need to be updated by Marklin. As in Marklin in Germany, or can this be done by Marklin in the USA?

Philippe

Offline Flupke  
#8 Posted : 25 November 2023 16:42:33(UTC)
Flupke

United States   
Hello Philippe

Signal in the box (with the programming shunt in place)
- after a power on, the signal listen during 30 seconds for the first order received (e.g. adress 125, protocol MM2) and it will store this in its memory
- after 30 seconds, the signal enters the demo mode (too late, try again)

Signal out of the box
- the signal will execute any orders that correspond to its set address.

So, how to program it easily?
- on your CS2, CS3, MS1, MS2 make sure you have already created the image for your signal
- when ready connect your signal with the shunt in place and power-up your CS.
- once the CS is active (STOP is off), command the signal at the address you have assigned to it IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS
- push the STOP bar to make it light, remove the signal from its box. The programming is finished

Cheers
Jean

Merci Jean,
Let me try and see if I can be successful. I have taken the signal out of the box. Does it really need to be in the box to program. Can I just put it back in the box?

Philippe

Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 25 November 2023 17:42:30(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Philippe
Yes, they must be in the box with the shunt installed to program
No, they are MM2-only
Then you need to remove them to use and yes, you may leave them in the box for storage
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Flupke  
#10 Posted : 25 November 2023 18:18:43(UTC)
Flupke

United States   
Hi Philippe
No, they are MM2-only
Then you need to remove them to use and yes, you may leave them in the box for storage
Cheers
Jean

OK let me put it back in the box and see if I can program it.

Philippe

Offline Flupke  
#11 Posted : 25 November 2023 23:16:37(UTC)
Flupke

United States   
Hi Philippe
No, they are MM2-only
Cheers
Jean

I put it in the box, made the configuration ahead of time. Turned on the power and made sure to access it within the 30 seconds and voila it works. Took off the shunt and I can operate it from the console. The only weird thing is that when I turn of the power to the rails and then the power back on the signal doesn't display a light until I click on it at least once. Otherwise, it functions correctly.

Philippe

Offline JohnjeanB  
#12 Posted : 26 November 2023 10:55:12(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Philippe
These were the very first generation of high technology signals so there were a few bugs but not too bad.
Iam glad it worked for you
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline dickinsonj  
#13 Posted : 27 November 2023 01:55:01(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
i'm glad it worked out Phillippe.

You are starting down the sometimes obscure road of setting up a piece of Marklin tech.

Configuring some Marklin tech is not very clear and can actually be convoluted, but when you get it right, it works perfectly.

Looks like you are off to a good start.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Flupke  
#14 Posted : 27 November 2023 15:23:04(UTC)
Flupke

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
i'm glad it worked out Phillippe.

You are starting down the sometimes obscure road of setting up a piece of Marklin tech.

Configuring some Marklin tech is not very clear and can actually be convoluted, but when you get it right, it works perfectly.

Looks like you are off to a good start.

Thanks,

I find the Marklin instructions hard to follow sometimes. They always seem to omit steps or "how to" instructions. But with the help of people on the forum I was able to successfully program my signal. Now I need to install it on the track.

Philippe

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Flupke