Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Allan2805  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2023 01:49:46(UTC)
Allan2805

New Zealand   
Hello there.

I have recently laid a double track parade layout around the circumference of my train room, as an adjunct to my Gauge 1 layout, dimensions are 20ft by 12 ft so two decent runs with long trains. I have used K track, mostly new, the two circuits are connected by high speed points at four places on the layout. (Two on each side). These points are all electrically isolated from each other (by cutting off the center rail connectors, I don't trust those plastic things) so the two circuits, while physically joined, are electrically separate. As I have a lot of analogue locos, I want to get it running perfectly on analogue, before introducing digital switching later.

I have installed 2mm bare copper wire buses beneath the layout, a separate power feed bus (red wire connections) for each circuit. I was told that I only needed a single bus for the earth connections, i.e. all brown wire connections from the two circuits could go to a common bus.

However, I am being plagued by issues with only parts of each circuit currently running. I have been through a fault finding process, writing each step down as I go and retesting. Just now, I decided to power on one of the two transformers only, that for the outer circuit with the other (inside circuit) transformer turned off at the mains switch. I then connected the EARTH (brown wire track connection lead for that circuit) to the turned off at the mains transformer and - guess what? IT POWERED ON! While still being off at the mains!

My question is: was I wrongly advised that I needed only a single earth bus for both circuits (this was a digital only operator who told me this) and for analogue, do I need a separate earth bus for each circuit?

Or is there likely something else amiss? ( I have checked that all joints in the copper wire are correctly connected to their respective other sides where modules necessitate a joint).
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 13 November 2023 07:49:51(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Yeah... Scared If I understand you right, what you are doing is "ILLEGAL"!
You MUST disconnect the 2nd trafo from the track altogether.
You say that the center wire (red wires) of the tracks are separated, but are they really? -Also, it could be that the interruptor on the wall only cuts one of the wires when turned off?
What you are seeing, is the 1st trafo powering the second trafo because the secondary windings are still connected.
In case the red wires are still connected: If you pull out the plug from the wall of the 2nd trafo, you can meassure the mains tension there! Re-transformed back from the 16Vac!!! (Don´t do it, its dangerous!)

Secondly; When running analogue with two trafos, the first thing to do, is to assure that they are both "in phase"; That basically means to be sure that the wall-plug is turned the right way. (This is particulary important for standard european plugs, which are symmetrical to a 180º turn).
The way to do that is to connect the brown wires between the trafos, turn the knob to around 50%, and connect the two red wires to each side of a bulp and see it it light up. If it does, the wall-plug on ONE of the trafos must be turned 180º.

Lastly; You are right in that all brown wires can be connected together, and you only need ONE common ground for everything. I prefer that too!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Allan2805  
#3 Posted : 13 November 2023 08:26:39(UTC)
Allan2805

New Zealand   
Sorry, but you have misunderstood me. Nothing illegal about what I'm doing, not plugging anything into the mains power plugs other than the two transformers themselves. Here in New Zealand we have 3 pin plugs and these trafos have their factory fitted 3 pin plugs, so polarities must be correct. When I said "connected to the TURNED OFF at the mains transformer, it was not to the mains socket (!!) but to the trafo's own earth output.

From what you say, it must be that I have some red wires crossed somewhere between the two circuits. Good to have confirmed that I only need ONE common ground.
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2023 09:24:59(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Bare" wires???
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2023 21:44:35(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Bare" wires???

Not entirely uncommon, makes soldering dropper wires much easer BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 13 November 2023 22:06:07(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Allan2805 Go to Quoted Post
Sorry, but you have misunderstood me. Nothing illegal about what I'm doing, not plugging anything into the mains power plugs other than the two transformers themselves. Here in New Zealand we have 3 pin plugs and these trafos have their factory fitted 3 pin plugs, so polarities must be correct. When I said "connected to the TURNED OFF at the mains transformer, it was not to the mains socket (!!) but to the trafo's own earth output.

From what you say, it must be that I have some red wires crossed somewhere between the two circuits. Good to have confirmed that I only need ONE common ground.

Hi Allan, all....

My take on this is that although the transformers were wired from the factory, they can still be out of phase. I've had it several times. I'm not sure whether Märklin could even establish a 'correct' polarity for countries like us with oriented plugs.

Although the feed going INTO the Trafo is colour coded Brown & Blue, it's how the feed to the Primary transformer core INTERNALLY is done that can make the difference.

I check all my Trafo's for polarity and standardise them. First thing is you need to decide which Trafo is your template to match to. If you have several that becomes a challenge.

When I did mine, some time ago, I had a single WHITE Trafo 52VA which came with my original digital set. So I decided that would be my "master" and I matched all others to that.

The downside is that I have some Trafo's that have the phase and neutral reversed in the plug, but I put coloured heat-shrink over to make this very clear. I also added a strong label onto the cord at the plug with a comment.

The other really easy way you could achieve the same thing would be to make yourself a short (6") adapter 'extension' cord, and change the phasing in that rather than the Trafo plug. Using a brightly coloured cord, and a very clear label that the cord is phase-swapped to be used ONLY for the Trains.

Either way, if the original plug is a moulded one you are going to have to cut it off and replace with a screw type, Tap-on etc.

The only other way you could do it to avoid wrong colour coding would be to open up the Trafo and reverse the wires for the Primary winding input. That would achieve the same thing, and I have actually done this when replacing the mains cord.

It's become much less of an issue lately with the uptake of Digital, but there is also a strong remaining passion for the vintage stuff and this is where people, (newbies in particular) can trip up.

Oh, and of course, there is a third option. If you have several Trafo's to choose from, just find two that are the same and use those BigGrin

Hope that makes sense. If you resolve the phasing, I think you'll be ok.

Cheers

Cookee

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Allan2805  
#7 Posted : 13 November 2023 23:08:19(UTC)
Allan2805

New Zealand   
Many thanks for the thorough answer Steve, much appreciated. I hadn't thought of what you outline in your opening sentence! I'm off out soon to purchase a couple of plugs, then cut off the moulded plugs and replace with both hooked up the same way.

I'm not sure how to open the plastic cased trafos but hopefully I won't need to do this. If the problem still exists after I have fitted new plugs, the problem must be the internal connection within one trafo, not matching that of the other (colour coded wires) so I'll swap the two primary wires over in one of them.

Will keep you posted. thanks again.

quote=cookee_nz;666179]
Originally Posted by: Allan2805 Go to Quoted Post

Hi Allan, all....

My take on this is that although the transformers were wired from the factory, they can still be out of phase. I've had it several times. I'm not sure whether Märklin could even establish a 'correct' polarity for countries like us with oriented plugs.

Although the feed going INTO the Trafo is colour coded Brown & Blue, it's how the feed to the Primary transformer core INTERNALLY is done that can make the difference.

I check all my Trafo's for polarity and standardise them. First thing is you need to decide which Trafo is your template to match to. If you have several that becomes a challenge.

When I did mine, some time ago, I had a single WHITE Trafo 52VA which came with my original digital set. So I decided that would be my "master" and I matched all others to that.

The downside is that I have some Trafo's that have the phase and neutral reversed in the plug, but I put coloured heat-shrink over to make this very clear. I also added a strong label onto the cord at the plug with a comment.

The other really easy way you could achieve the same thing would be to make yourself a short (6") adapter 'extension' cord, and change the phasing in that rather than the Trafo plug. Using a brightly coloured cord, and a very clear label that the cord is phase-swapped to be used ONLY for the Trains.

Either way, if the original plug is a moulded one you are going to have to cut it off and replace with a screw type, Tap-on etc.

The only other way you could do it to avoid wrong colour coding would be to open up the Trafo and reverse the wires for the Primary winding input. That would achieve the same thing, and I have actually done this when replacing the mains cord.

It's become much less of an issue lately with the uptake of Digital, but there is also a strong remaining passion for the vintage stuff and this is where people, (newbies in particular) can trip up.

Oh, and of course, there is a third option. If you have several Trafo's to choose from, just find two that are the same and use those BigGrin

Hope that makes sense. If you resolve the phasing, I think you'll be ok.

Cheers

Cookee

Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 13 November 2023 23:21:02(UTC)
H0

Polarity only matters in the short moment when an analogue loco passes from circuit 1 to circuit 2.
With only one transformer on power, there can be no phase-related issues. So issues must have a different cause.

If a transformer comes alive without being plugged in, this is really alarming. Then it is very likely that the bare mains plug will have a voltage around 240 V - unless a modern 6647x transformer is used.
This risk also arises in the short moment when a loco passes from circuit 1 to circuit 2 if only one transformer is plugged in.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 14 November 2023 00:55:20(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Polarity only matters in the short moment when an analogue loco passes from circuit 1 to circuit 2.
With only one transformer on power, there can be no phase-related issues. So issues must have a different cause.

If a transformer comes alive without being plugged in, this is really alarming. Then it is very likely that the bare mains plug will have a voltage around 240 V - unless a modern 6647x transformer is used.
This risk also arises in the short moment when a loco passes from circuit 1 to circuit 2 if only one transformer is plugged in.

Hi Tom,

Yes I agree that this appears to be a two-pronged issue (pardon the pun re the European plugs)

In an ideal situation it would be *just* the crossover location being bridged, but because it appears to be independent of that scenario, there still remains a possible hard-short somewhere between the two circuits, yet to be located by Allan.

I've seen elusive short-circuits caused by staples, screws and nails through wires. In one instance, a track-screw had gone through the base-board, and the sharp tip had only just penetrated a wire directly below.

Because of this, it was not visible from any angle, and it was M-track so the screw was 'earthed' via the trackbed, but the wire was a 'hot' side, track or lighting I can recall which. I can tell you, THAT was an extremely difficult issue to pin-point because it was intermittent.

I think there was a combination of temperature, vibration, and a circuit that was not always active making it hard to isolate. I've also known of stray screws and staples being caught underneath track and causing short-circuits.

Allan, if it continues to elude you, it may come down to having to physically lift some track in order to separate some sections to help isolate. "Divide and conquer". Sometimes you spend longer trying to find the issue with everything in place, than just biting the bullet and start lifting.

With any luck you'll find it early. If there's no ballast, it's a heap easier, and being mostly new track should help as well.

Good luck

Edited by user 20 November 2023 09:44:42(UTC)  | Reason: Typos

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Allan2805  
#10 Posted : 14 November 2023 03:12:53(UTC)
Allan2805

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Hi Tom,

Yes I agree that this appears to be a two-pronged issue (pardon the pun re the European plugs)

In an ideal situation it would be *just* the crossover location being bridged, but because it appears to be independent of that scenario, there still remains a possible hard-short somewhere between the two circuits, yet to be located by Allan.

I've seen elusive short-circuits caused by staples, screws and nails through wires. In one instance, a track-screw had gone through the base-board, and the sharp tip only just penetrated a wire directly below.

Because of this, it was not visible from any angle, and it was M-track so the screw was 'earthed' via the trackbed, but the wire was a 'hot' side, track or lighting I can recall which. I can tell you, THAT was an extremely difficult issue to pin-point because it was intermittent.

I think there was a combination of temperature, vibration, and a circuit that was not always active making it hard to isolate. I've also known of stray screws and staples being caught underneath track and causing short-circuits.

Allan, if it continues to elude you, it may come down to having to physically lift some track in order to separate some sections to help isolate. "Divide and conquer". Sometimes you spend longer trying to find the issue with everything in place, than just biting the bullet and start lifting.

With any luck you'll find it early. If there's no ballast, it's a heap easier, and being mostly new track should help as well.

Good luck

Thanks again Steve! There is no ballast in place. Its just screwed down with K track screws at present.I have already lifted quite a few sections to check connections.

That situation you described with M track would have been a real headache. And debris caught under tracks, hmm. I have vacuumed the tracks twice now in case any debris causing a short but the possibility of something beneath, hmmm. You are right, I've spent a heap of time on this already. I'm going to recheck all the bus connections (for crossed connections, looking up from underneath can be an issue at times so...). The other thing I thought to do is desolder / cut all connections to the buses and rely only on a direct track connection feed for each circuit and see what happens. Anyway, off to buy those two plugs!

Edited by moderator 20 November 2023 09:44:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Allan2805  
#11 Posted : 14 November 2023 20:08:16(UTC)
Allan2805

New Zealand   
Actually, I just realized Steve, that these two transformers, which I bought new are the same ones I used without any polarity issues on my M track layout. So I think I'll leave changing the plugs for now and go with Plan B, as above!
Offline Allan2805  
#12 Posted : 20 November 2023 03:51:33(UTC)
Allan2805

New Zealand   
Quick update! Now have one of the track circuits working as it should. Following Cookee_NZ's tips, I found a screw used to mount one end of the below baseboard wire bus had penetrated up through the track underlay and was making contact with the track underside. Fixed!
Now moving onto the other circuit!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Allan2805