Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mr. Ron  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2023 00:38:47(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
I am using M track on my layout and have a lot of wire running under the layout's baseboard. I am thinking of running all wiring within the base of the M track rather than under the baseboard. Has anyone done this? There appears to be a lot of empty space within the M track sections.
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2023 13:14:47(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Not if you are screwing down the tracks. There may be possible interference of current and digital signals. Do one long section and test it out.
Offline heinrichhess  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2023 13:26:10(UTC)
heinrichhess

United Kingdom   
yes i run under m track and all so cross sections as well like other person says if you are fixing it perinatally down and need to fix it may be a problem how ever you get same problem if a switch motor needs fixing

hess
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by heinrichhess
Offline FastEddie  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2023 14:58:52(UTC)
FastEddie

United States   
If you run your wires from both track and switches under the M track won't that require a lot more wire? How do you collect all your light wires and power wires from switches into distribution strips if not under the board? I run k track now but I did run M track for years and everything was under the board. I organized things using plastic wire holders and staples to channel the wiring.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by FastEddie
Offline BenP  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2023 18:36:03(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Originally Posted by: Mr. Ron Go to Quoted Post
I am using M track on my layout and have a lot of wire running under the layout's baseboard. I am thinking of running all wiring within the base of the M track rather than under the baseboard. Has anyone done this? There appears to be a lot of empty space within the M track sections.

That works ok for a temp layout, but not well for a more permanent or larger layout. Wires are more easily connected and combined (and error checked) under base.
Just my opinion. Ben
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP
Offline bygger01  
#6 Posted : 12 November 2023 20:56:20(UTC)
bygger01

Denmark   
My advice is:

Choose a color for center conductors + rail ( red & black/brown will be suitable ).
Use a drill with a suitable thin drill for a wire from a rail + one from the center conductor, which is soldered on.
Drill the two holes below, where the rail should be.
Down with the two wires (Use long wires of 2-4 mtr, so that when you have solder, there is for the next wires.
Under the table top you have drawn 1.5 square meters of solid wire (again in red & black/brown) and to these two you solder 2 thin wires.
Keep the two wires separated by 5-10 cm and insulations are unnecessary.
Use soldering and forget about anything with screws!

This is how you continue with wires from the rails every 1-2 mtr.
Best regards
Jørgen St. from Herning in DK
H0 / Märklin K track / CS3+ / full digital / Epoke III +/-
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 12 November 2023 22:29:21(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Hi Mr Ron
Running wires under the M trackbed is not a great idea (Pardon me). Why?:
- much longer wiring
- much less maintainable (doing a change is hell having to unscrew a lot of tracks
- why not use wiring ducts (see image below). They exist in different shapes and size. They are U-shaped and closed by a clipsable top so making changes is a piece of cake
Sans titre.png
Cheers
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bygger01  
#8 Posted : 13 November 2023 00:37:10(UTC)
bygger01

Denmark   
I want to make it simpler, because those boxes cannot be soldered in!

Instead, I will drill suitable small holes with e.g. 10 cm gap in the cross boards, which are normally part of the table construction and pull the continuous ring wires through (red & brown for the digital and maybe yellow & blue supply current for switches and signals).
Best regards
Jørgen St. from Herning in DK
H0 / Märklin K track / CS3+ / full digital / Epoke III +/-
Offline Mr. Ron  
#9 Posted : 14 November 2023 01:32:48(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Hi Mr Ron
Running wires under the M trackbed is not a great idea (Pardon me). Why?:
- much longer wiring
- much less maintainable (doing a change is hell having to unscrew a lot of tracks
- why not use wiring ducts (see image below). They exist in different shapes and size. They are U-shaped and closed by a clipsable top so making changes is a piece of cake
Sans titre.png
Cheers
Jean

At 89, it's hard to work under the layout. I am also confined to a mobile scooter. All my work has to be above the layout where I can reach.