Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Luna  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2023 01:07:47(UTC)
Luna

United States   
I'm in the process of building a 30x15 foot Marklin layout. As of now I have 15 switches some with decoders and some with m83's. What I'd like to get is some ideas from the group on how you connect the switch lanterns and your lighting in general. Is it wise to run a bus wire just for lighting under the layout and tie everything into that wire or is it best to have long runs of wire to a terminal switch attached to a separate transformer? Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Luna
Offline PeFu  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2023 09:04:55(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Luna Go to Quoted Post
Is it wise to run a bus wire just for lighting under the layout and tie everything into that wire or is it best to have long runs of wire to a terminal switch attached to a separate transformer?

I would say yes and…yes! 😁

On such a big layout, I would plan wiring as follows:

(1) How many trains will move at the same time once the layout is finished? Depending on which engines you have (and lighting in coaches) plan for logical track sections you could have, one booster (or central station) per track section. 3-4 moving trains per section could be appropriate. E.g. ”inner oval” = booster 1, ”outer oval” = booster 2. One red bus cable (> 1.5 mm2) per booster. Remember to do the physical separation of power connection between the track sections. You don’t have to separate ground connection between the track sections.

(2) Plan for having a separate booster for managing solenoid decoders (points, signals etc.), and a separate red bus cable for this.

(3) Plan for one common (brown) ground bus cable for the booster buses in (1) and (2).

(4) Plan for two separate bus cables (yellow and brown) and a separate transformer for powering decoders.

(5) Plan for two separate bus cables (yellow and brown) and a separate transformer for feeding lights (point lanterns and building lights).

Add terminal blocks for each bus cable, with appropriate number of outputs on each location. Add a switch for each red and yellow bus cables near the power source (booster or transformer). This will help you during troubleshooting. Also, you will spend looong hours testing and adjusting the tracks. Then it is nice to turn off certain parts of the layout, even if you have point LED’s.

NOTE 1: In the beginning, you can connect all bus cables in (1), (2) and (3) into a single central station. Additional boosters can easily be added, once you need them. Also, if you go for 100 VA power sources, they could manage more sections than a 60 VA source.

NOTE 2: If you don’t want all point lanterns, building and street lights turned on and off at the same time, you may need to extend your strategy re. (5). Additional bus cables? A special building light module?

Have fun! Smile

Edited by user 24 September 2023 23:39:43(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PeFu
Offline dlwestphalen  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2023 17:11:27(UTC)
dlwestphalen

Canada   
Hi PeFu, good information on your post as I am working on my layout plan.

Question on (2): is a separate booster required for the solenoid decoders? As I understand, power is only drawn for a few milliseconds when the solenoid is activated. Hence I wonder if a separate booster is required.

I am using M track and I am isolating all switch lights to a separate circuit (and converting them to LED). So those lights are not pushing any current from the m83 decoder. I am still figuring out if I can isolate the lights in signals.

Thanks,
Denis
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2023 23:43:01(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: dlwestphalen Go to Quoted Post
Question on (2): is a separate booster required for the solenoid decoders? As I understand, power is only drawn for a few milliseconds when the solenoid is activated. Hence I wonder if a separate booster is required.

Well, it’s still good practice and useful for troubleshooting, e.g. to figure out the source of a short circuit.
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Online JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2023 00:26:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Luna Go to Quoted Post
I'm in the process of building a 30x15 foot Marklin layout. As of now I have 15 switches some with decoders and some with m83's. What I'd like to get is some ideas from the group on how you connect the switch lanterns and your lighting in general. Is it wise to run a bus wire just for lighting under the layout and tie everything into that wire or is it best to have long runs of wire to a terminal switch attached to a separate transformer? Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Luna

Hi Luna
Separate wiring for lanterns? If you wish to turn them on in the night time then a separate wiring is the way to go. Otherwise Märklin lanterns current need is so tiny that a direct connection to the B and 0 of the track is the way to go (simpler wiring)

Switch decoders On a permanent layout, I recommend using M83 (60832) for a number of reasons
- easier to maintain when not hidden in a switch
- cheaper
- allows a separate power for all switch motors (better trouble shooting

Bus under the layout A star-like wiring starting from your digital power (CS3 or Booster) to key areas of your layout using 1.5 mm² (maybe 4 or 5 of them.
Here is an example of those power distribution modules (Stromverteiler)
https://www.ebay.de/itm/33140226...tsK%7Ctkp%3ABFBMrqyQlNli

Wiring principles
- prefer a star-like power distribution to ease MFX registration
- power track segments of 1 to 2 m and insulate the center studs to be powere by ONE wire. This allow to spot immediately the short cuircuit
- no need to separate the ground return so all track may be connected and have a ground feeder (simpler and still allows an easy shoirt circuit finding.
- single track to power distribution by minimum 0.75 mm²
- mark the insulation points both on your track (discreetly) and on your plan.
- keep separate power feeding of M 83 and M84 from the track (allows your to run analogue locos while still operating your switches in digital.

Usually a specific booster for switches is an overkill because no matter how many switches you have ONLY ONE will be activated at any given time, experience shows that a CS3 and a 100 W power supply (60101 for Europe) is enough (3.3 A on a total 5 A capacity with 26 to 28 locos, 25 to 30 lighted cars

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Luna  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2023 07:17:31(UTC)
Luna

United States   
Thanks to everyone who replied with some great info. Here in the states finding info on Marklin is almost totally restricted to the internet. There are very few stores in the US that handle Marklin. Luckily for a novice like myself there are some real experts on this forum who are willing to share their knowledge. I am taking Jean's advice and just wiring my switch lanterns to the rails. Less wiring. Also have decided to forego the switch decoders and use M-83's. I've already had a switch decoder go haywire on me in a short time. Don't want to have to rip track up to get to the decoder. Again thanks for the replies to my question.

Luna
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2023 10:36:54(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have about 20 decoders under the track and never had any fail. I don’t like wiring and the decoders are now mfx which is great. More likely a motor will go rather than a decoder.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar