Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 14 August 2023 15:34:59(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have some Roco 74565 EW11 coaches and wondered if it would be in order to run them with Marklin 42154 EW 1V.
I have a few Swiss items but never sure just what could be seen with what.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 14 August 2023 20:26:42(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Right off the top, the Roco coaches are 1/87, the Maerklin one is 1/100, so there is a difference in scale length.
That aside, it was pretty common to find a mix of coach types in locomotive pulled consists. The 74565 is in the Interregio (IR) livery used for regional trains. The EWIV is in the latest Intercity livery, which was introduced in the last year or two. By that point, the EWII coaches in the IR livery had largely been taken out of service.

The EWIV are today primarily used in push pull intercity services between Swiss cities. They can be found combined with EuroCity coaches (4368 type) in some of these consists. For international traffic, the SBB uses only the EuroCity (EC) coach type.

Older liveries, the 1980s Gray-green, the so-called ICN livery of the early 2000s could be found in locomotive pulled consists (not push pull) and often combined with other types (EWI, EWII, RIC and EC coaches).

Roco offered an 2010-2015 "Boezberg" Express as a 2 Set consist in their 2023 catalog. This was a mix of EWIV and EWII. (6200022/23)
https://www.roco.cc/rde/...berg-interregio-sbb.html

For the EWIV (Maerklin), you could create a mix of 42155/56/57/58 with the new 42153/42154 to reproduce a consist from the period when the new livery was being introduced. The pilot coach would be a 42179 or 42177. A complete consist in the new livery would be 42153, 42154 with 42177. Such consists are still rare as many still include a mix of new and older liveries. The restaurant coaches are still in the ICN livery (42174).

You can get an idea of Swiss consists at reisezuege.ch https://www.reisezuege.ch/index.php?action=10
You can select the year to see different consists. (2005-2023)

For the current year, you can look it up by coach type https://www.reisezuege.ch/index.php?action=9

I hope that this helps

If you want an interesting consist for the Roco IR coaches, you can have one EWII A, a pair of EWII B and a Pilot coach in the NPZ livery (Piko)
https://www.reisezuege.c...amp;fp_id=5&action=5

(74565, 74566, 74567 + Piko BDt)

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2023 20:54:43(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Right off the top, the Roco coaches are 1/87, the Maerklin one is 1/100, so there is a difference in scale length.
That aside, it was pretty common to find a mix of coach types in locomotive pulled consists. The 74565 is in the Interregio (IR) livery used for regional trains. The EWIV is in the latest Intercity livery, which was introduced in the last year or two. By that point, the EWII coaches in the IR livery had largely been taken out of service.

The EWIV are today primarily used in push pull intercity services between Swiss cities. They can be found combined with EuroCity coaches (4368 type) in some of these consists. For international traffic, the SBB uses only the EuroCity (EC) coach type.

Older liveries, the 1980s Gray-green, the so-called ICN livery of the early 2000s could be found in locomotive pulled consists (not push pull) and often combined with other types (EWI, EWII, RIC and EC coaches).

Roco offered an 2010-2015 "Boezberg" Express as a 2 Set consist in their 2023 catalog. This was a mix of EWIV and EWII. (6200022/23)

For the EWIV (Maerklin), you could create a mix of 42155/56/57/58 with the new 42153/42154 to reproduce a consist from the period when the new livery was being introduced. The pilot coach would be a 42179 or 42177. A complete consist in the new livery would be 42153, 42154 with 42177. Such consists are still rare as many still include a mix of new and older liveries. The restaurant coaches are still in the ICN livery (42174).

You can get an idea of Swiss consists at reisezuege.ch https://www.reisezuege.ch/index.php?action=10
You can select the year to see different consists. (2005-2023)

For the current year, you can look it up by coach type https://www.reisezuege.ch/index.php?action=9

I hope that this helps

If you want an interesting consist for the Roco IR coaches, you can have one EWII A, a pair of EWII B and a Pilot coach in the NPZ livery (Piko)
https://www.reisezuege.c...amp;fp_id=5&action=5

(74565, 74566, 74567 + Piko BDt)

Regards

Mike C

Thanks Mike. That is great information. I like the Roco coaches 74565 which although difficult to fit lighting which I have done they run well on C track without changing the wheels. From what you say it is unlikely that they would have been run with the Marklin EWIV A and also the scale being different would not look right.
I have found PIKO coaches can have running problems although their locos are fine.
The Marklins are on order so I have time to look through your sites above and make a selection.
Many thanks for the time taken to compile the above details.

Regards

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2023 21:12:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Is this the lighting kit that you used? https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/Roco/R-40420

For AC, you have to replace one of the axle contacts with a centre rail slide (40500). To mount this, you require a piece which used to come with many models, but is no longer included in the parts bag. The part, replaced the mounting of the AC slider and allows it to fit the two little pins on the underside of the bogie part.

One alternative that I have used is the Slider from Swiss company RailTop (99001). The base plate of the RailTop version includes the two holes for mounting on Roco coaches).

For AC operation, you can reverse one wheelset per bogie, which would yield return contact from the axle contact to both rails for the lighting. Once this has been done, the model cannot be used in DC operation without causing a short.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2023 23:57:23(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Is this the lighting kit that you used? https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/Roco/R-40420

For AC, you have to replace one of the axle contacts with a centre rail slide (40500). To mount this, you require a piece which used to come with many models, but is no longer included in the parts bag. The part, replaced the mounting of the AC slider and allows it to fit the two little pins on the underside of the bogie part.

One alternative that I have used is the Slider from Swiss company RailTop (99001). The base plate of the RailTop version includes the two holes for mounting on Roco coaches).

For AC operation, you can reverse one wheelset per bogie, which would yield return contact from the axle contact to both rails for the lighting. Once this has been done, the model cannot be used in DC operation without causing a short.

Regards

Mike C

Power taken from the loco and then run through the coaches. Took a while to get it right and would not like to try again. In the past I have taken power from a Marklin baggage coach with slider etc then run through the Roco coaches using Brawa current couplers.
Have tried in the past to fit a slider to a Roco coach but that is not easy. Will have a look at the Railtop slider which a was not aware of the part.
To make life really easy I have some coaches fitted with a battery light which is good and of course completely flicker free.
Thanks Mike

David
Offline Mark5  
#6 Posted : 16 August 2023 21:43:07(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hi David,

Would love to see what kind of battery light you used and wondering how long they would last. Its a brilliant idea with the long life of some batteries with LEDs.

Is this something sold commercially or something you rigged up?

- Mark

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

[......]
To make life really easy I have some coaches fitted with a battery light which is good and of course completely flicker free.
Thanks Mike

David

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 16 August 2023 23:55:45(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: Mark5 Go to Quoted Post
Hi David,

Would love to see what kind of battery light you used and wondering how long they would last. Its a brilliant idea with the long life of some batteries with LEDs.

Is this something sold commercially or something you rigged up?

- Mark

[......]
Thanks Mike

David

Hi Mark Lights are from Train Tech. It is a UK company with the main dealer being Gaugemaster.
Battery lasts a long time. The lights come on when the train starts to move and go off after about three minutes when it stops. Easy to fit and works well.

David

Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 17 August 2023 01:37:15(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
David is absolutely correct in saying that Train Tech is an excellent product. The last time I checked it was getting pretty expensive but so is everything else now.

No sliders, no balky CC couplers, no wires, no return current wipers. There is a lot to be gained (lost) with the battery lights. Your coaches run better and your lights never flicker nor flash. As a bonus there is no need for a heavy and expensive capacitor.

I think that they are an overlooked resource, which is sometimes superior to forcing a conventional CC system into coaches not designed for them.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline marklinist5999  
#9 Posted : 17 August 2023 13:57:14(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, I've been waiting for the Rapido battery magnetic switch led kits to be back in stock. Less expensive than Traintech.
Offline Mark5  
#10 Posted : 17 August 2023 22:30:46(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
They look fab on the site but I see them listed for 22 pounds a pop!
More than the price of the cars when I bought many of them.

I have some very long strips/rolls of LEDs sitting waiting to be used.
There has to be cheaper and simpler way to set these up.
I do like the motion on/off feature I must say but... hmm
....(me thinking...)
...old decoders... wires in connected consist... one slider for a consist of 5 or 7 cars.
...no contact couplers. ... I think Dale had this in mind a few years back...

So many projects, I must not run ahead of myself.
But the TrainTech product is definitely a beautiful albeit rather pricey alternative.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 18 August 2023 22:19:29(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
You can get them in the uk slightly cheaper although sorry I can’t remember dealer. It does mean you get much better running and very reliable. Worth buying in particular forRoco coaches.

David
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 19 August 2023 01:50:02(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I first bought them for my lovely Trix sourced Marklin Era I Bavarian coaches.

There are no practical provisions from Marklin for lighting them and Train Tech lighting works perfectly in those pretty coaches. I now have two sets of these beautiful K.Bay.Sts.b coaches and I need to light the second set before the price goes up even more.

At least in this case the solution is so perfect that it is worth the cost. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Mark5  
#13 Posted : 22 August 2023 04:38:37(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
I do find most car lighting is very bright. I prefer something a bit understated. I do like the little table lamps in my VT railcar units. However to get the light level to what I desire, I have put together a little circuit board with a potentiometer in order to dim LEDs but I will have to do another a bit smaller in order to put into cars for a consist and find a way to have access to it.

That said, I would rather just have a cheap decoder that would allow me to dim the lights. If I was able to crank out a few sets I would use them for all my currently unlighted consists. And probably change the old incandescent lights that I have in several cars. So of course, that is work and still cost, so should the price of these very clever motion detecting units come done to say $7-ish a pop, (Chinese clones? uhh) then I would be much happier to buy them.

The dream of the model railroading; what should I do for fun and savings and what should be wise enough to open my wallet for.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline marklinist5999  
#14 Posted : 22 August 2023 12:37:53(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I think it's tricky for the makers to choose an optimal brightness because layout ambient light is all different. So they find a moderate medium.Piko seem to be in the dimmer side, even on the darkest part and tunnel of my layout.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline hxmiesa  
#15 Posted : 24 August 2023 13:31:58(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
David is absolutely correct in saying that Train Tech is an excellent product. The last time I checked it was getting pretty expensive but so is everything else now.

Yeah. They ARE expensive! Which was also the reason why I didnt get any, when I checked it out the last time.
-But I remember seeing some "value" sets consisting of 3 strips +they would throw in a set of red taillights too.
Now, with Brexit, I suspect that it will be even more difficult and expensive to get hold of them. Bored
I have a string of Rhiengold era III cars from Lima/Rivarossi where I would like to try this out.

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Mark5  
#16 Posted : 24 August 2023 18:51:01(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
With cheap electronics these days, how difficult could it be to install a motion detector with a corresponding on/off switch? Of course getting a nice fluorescent lights flickering on effect etc would be a challenge. I did see someone showing this effect on their trains recently but I can't remember where. Do the traintech ones do that?

Nonetheless somebody must have a son who could do up a circuit for which we just solder the components together. What would be really fun would be if we could do them one car at at time from back to front as if the conductor was walking through the train and turning them off, as I imagine might be for Era III style. I am guessing today the lights would all turn off at the same time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#17 Posted : 24 August 2023 22:15:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
What would be really fun would be if we could do them one car at at time from back to front as if the conductor was walking through the train and turning them off, as I imagine might be for Era III style. I

Wouldn't be too hard to do, provided one can get an infra red LED to shine between coaches, so it would shine through the doorway into the next coach to tell that coach to turn off after a few seconds. Might be harder to do on more modern coaches where the 'roller shutter' safety door is modelled closed which seems to happen on models these days.

Offline Mark5  
#18 Posted : 24 August 2023 22:36:01(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Blink Woot
I think we will have to hire Darpa to install necessary infrared robotics...
Cool

or... maybe just a cheap decoder in each car or lights with addresses that can be programmed to go off in sequence.

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
What would be really fun would be if we could do them one car at at time from back to front as if the conductor was walking through the train and turning them off, as I imagine might be for Era III style. I

Wouldn't be too hard to do, provided one can get an infra red LED to shine between coaches, so it would shine through the doorway into the next coach to tell that coach to turn off after a few seconds. Might be harder to do on more modern coaches where the 'roller shutter' safety door is modelled closed which seems to happen on models these days.

Offline David Dewar  
#19 Posted : 24 August 2023 23:28:35(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Around £50 for three lights including batteries is not bad compared to three other light bars plus slider and CC couplers. Coach running is much better and of course no flicker. You can get a bar where one light will flicker as you would get in a real coach with one faulty light. You can also add your own LEDs to the light bar if you wish.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Mark5  
#20 Posted : 30 August 2023 05:35:57(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Sorry for my smartass Darpa comment Alan. Blushing
I already overthink things, but its all part of the challenge.

I do agree, David, that the battery option seems the most elegant solution. I am thinking about how to put in lighting for 60 some odd coaches at one go for starters, so 1000 pounds is probably worth reconsidering and thinking through other homemade options that might actually use an infrared or wifi remote, like the lkea lighting system, where there are pairing options. There has to be another way. I will keep thinking about it as I have time since a long list of other tasks on my todo list awaits me on my workbench. Time to decide on the best option.

Around £50 for three lights including batteries is not bad compared to three other light bars plus slider and CC couplers. Coach running is much better and of course no flicker. You can get a bar where one light will flicker as you would get in a real coach with one faulty light. You can also add your own LEDs to the light bar if you wish.