Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hennabm  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2023 20:06:21(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi all

I have run my 3071 before - but that was over 4 years ago!

Today i took it out of the box and eventually got it all connected. First issue I noticed was the shield for the connector on the power car was too low and catching the puko on points. - Sorted. ThumpUp

But then I noticed no front white light on the power car and it will not reverse.ThumbDown The dummy power car has a red light on all the time.

I checked to make sure the connections are the same throughout, in my cae making sure the red wire was on the top of each connector. Still no front light or reverse.Confused

Are any of you learned marklinists able to give me some idea as to why please.
I am running it with with a 4071 car.

Many thanks
Mike

IMG_2998.jpg
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2023 04:51:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Well, right off the top, it looks like you are running it upside down ;)

The first thing to test would be to connect only the power unit and the pilot coach.
Test to see whether it is operating normally (Red/white light and runs in both directions)
If it works normally, you can add one of the intermediate coaches and test again until you have the whole consist running.

This model has a special relay as part of the reversing mechanism which selects whether power comes from the power unit or from the pilot coach.
This determines whether the lights will be white or red at the ends as well. This is the first of the two wires that pass throughout the train.
The second wire provides the power for the coach lighting. If I remember correctly, the coach lights are supplied from the rear slider, so that the interior lights stay on when in a signal zone.

It may be that you have all of the connections inverted.

The test outlined above is the best way to narrow down the cause
If you reverse the power unit without the pilot coach connected, the unit will cease to function until a pilot coach is connected to it.

I don't have a 3071 in front of me as I only have the 3471 here, which has different connectors

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline hennabm  
#3 Posted : 06 July 2023 17:36:33(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
Hi Mike

Thank you for the help. By narrowing it to the engine and pilot end only it proved it was one of the consist.
A quick look showed a loose joint on one of the ends which was soon rectified by a blob of solder.

All running at it should now ThumpUp

Many thanks
Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hennabm