Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Toosmall  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2023 00:05:31(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
There has been a lack of Z gauge quality (avoid the the Chinese rubbish, I was given 200 by a retailer, they are dreadful) pre-painted people for years, especially from Preiser.

I bought a pile of Trafofuchs people which are very good & they also fill in many gaps in creating various scenes which is brilliant.

I bought a pack of Preiser 160 "nude" figures for backup/if I ever get around to painting them, which has about 130 people plus animals, because there was barely any pre-painted figures available.

I don't actually have a shortage of people, still well over 100 people to place on my layout, but a layout looks too "thin" without a good number of people. My recent very small snow scene swallowed 29 people & could do with a couple more.

I bought some acrylic paint, they were out of stock of so many colours & some colours were gloss only, you need mat/flat, but I am pretty good at mixing colours. Bought some empty bottles for my colours.

It is easier to buy the colours you need, they are not expensive in relation to the cost of pre-painted people, but if there are issues, get primary colours, also white, black, & a few half way colours including a light grey if possible.

If mixing colours do a tiny brush size sample before actually mixing in a jar. It is surprising how colours can very easily go wrong very quickly even with one single drop of another colour.

_MG_2212_020850.jpg

Original colours right, mixed colours centre. The alligator clips were handy, about 8 to 12 would be the go, I only had 4 (they are good for torturing figures, clamping by head or feet to paint other end. The alligator clamps don't damage already painted ends to any obvious degree). I bought primer but didn't use it as I felt the overall thickness of paint would be too much.

_MG_2209_020850.jpg

Z gauge, you don't heed to be too fussy with detail, the bloody things are so small. Paint bigger areas where you can. I jumped around a bit painting this & that, but you will pick up a feel for painting. You use so little paint don't worry wasting a bit dipping brush in solvent & cleaning on tissue paper, to change colours.

You can buy stainless steel ball bearings to put a couple in each jar to mix paint. I had 1/8" stainless steel wire which I cut off pieces about 15 - 20mm, ground ends smooth, to chuck in each bottle. A stainless steel screw will do, maybe file off the sharp end to avoid damaging lid seal.

The 75mm bits of stainless steel were handy for transferring paint colours (if they weren't cut a whisker shorter could leave them in sealed jar), buy a handful of spare Tamiya jars for mixing colours, the tiny square ones are a touch small but that's all they had, they are cheap enough.

_MG_22180_065901.jpg

Took a day to paint the figures. Came up pretty well. I have previously only bought painted people, especially for my architectural work, just couldn't afford the time painting people. Now that I have done it, it's not that bad painting figures.

If you don't have one, get a Winsor Newton Series Seven 000 brush. I bought another one $69.50 ($43 a few years ago. Probably gone up because all the Sables (millions) that were put down due to Covid) actually after I painted the figures as this brush was a spare (have about 20 of them all up), but they are worth it.

_MG_7585_011019.jpg

_MG_21661_103345.jpg

Learn your skills on the Preiser men with raincoats first. Lastly use your refined skills on the nude girls with G-strings as they are more challenging to get desired results with the fine lines required for successful outcome!

Edited by user 08 June 2023 05:34:04(UTC)  | Reason: Auto correction issues

thanks 13 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2023 11:38:38(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I've painted ho figures and that is tricky enough. Ones that I got from Amazon are actually former Preiser. Could a.3d printer make them better?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Zme
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 08 June 2023 12:32:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
I've painted ho figures and that is tricky enough. Ones that I got from Amazon are actually former Preiser. Could a.3d printer make them better?

Biggest problem with a 3D printer will be surface finish, these typically have a ripple surface on them from the way the model is produced as 'slices', so some polishing may be required.

But having said that there are outfits around that will have you 'sit' for a photo session, and then produce a 3D printed version of you in whatever scale you desire - so you can appear on your own layout without being Gulliver.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Purellum  
#4 Posted : 08 June 2023 17:55:28(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

"Lack of quality people" BigGrin

That's a problem in the real world too....... LOL Laugh

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Poor Skeleton  
#5 Posted : 08 June 2023 21:40:11(UTC)
Poor Skeleton

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post

I bought a pack of Preiser 160 "nude" figures for backup/if I ever get around to painting them, which has about 130 people plus animals, because there was barely any pre-painted figures available.

I also had to resort to the pack of unpainted Preiser figures. Now, I'm terrible at painting but I did find the process very therapeutic and the results are much better than I anticipated they would be. I second Toosmall's urging to invest in quality brushes. Having attempted a few budget offerings, I invested in a set
(5/0, 10/0, 15/0 and 20/0) Da Vinci "Micro-Maestro" brushes and once, I'd recovered from the shock of the price, I was really glad I did!

Cheers

Chris
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Poor Skeleton
Offline Toosmall  
#6 Posted : 09 June 2023 02:01:43(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
"The scale of the problem"

A comparison between 1:50, 1:100 & 1:220 (I don't have any HO scale figures). I have some 1:500 "nude" Preiser figures, but that is "taking a rope" territory!

Unless one has worked with Z gauge you don't realise the small scale issues. The Sable tail bristles on the Winsor Newton Series Seven 000 brush are 6mm long.

_MG_2225_095355.jpg

My painting is a bit rough in relation to the pre-painted figures, but from normal viewing distance & with my glasses, whether a bikini is worn or not is only an issue depending on desired outcome!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Carim  
#7 Posted : 09 June 2023 10:43:41(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I enjoy painting the figures. I even re-work the Preiser figures! A good reference is to watch some of the figure painters on You Tube; especially the ones doing 5mm figures - they set a benchmark. The Chinese figures need a lot of work cleaning off flash, etc, but they are cheap enough to chop up and modify - I don't want a hundred figures in exactly the same pose. Another source that we can use is 1:200 scale architectural figures; if you put them in the foreground or don't mix them with true 1:220 scale figures, I find that they work well. I am currently awaiting a few of the new Noch 3-D printed (and coloured) figures - if they turn out to be as good as the photos, they will set a new standard for Z.

Carim
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Carim
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 09 June 2023 15:59:47(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
yes Per! In the real world, it seems there are les all the time. Humanity is angry, bitter, and many are stupid.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline einotuominen  
#9 Posted : 10 June 2023 19:17:34(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Manufacturing should not be a problem. Games Workshop / Citadel Miniatures produced amazing tabletop gaming figures in 1:285 back in 1989.

The market size propably was roughly the same size as for small scale MRR?

-Eino
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by einotuominen
Offline Manga  
#10 Posted : 13 June 2023 13:25:00(UTC)
Manga

Australia   
Thanks for sharing TooSmall ThumpUp.

I have started to get some Faller figures; they look good and well proportioned.
I don't have any Preiser yet, nor Trafofuchs.
Need to get some sitting people, and various other poses like running etc...

001 Faller Figures.jpg

A bit off topic, but there is also a lack of quality animals.

I started out getting some cows for my farm scene from Noch, I was disappointed by the quality of them.
Then went about getting some from Faller, and I was impressed.

The Noch ones look more like bears than cows.
The Faller ones are more realistic with thinner legs and the legs are taller much like a real cow.

002 Noch vs Faller Animals.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Manga
Offline Toosmall  
#11 Posted : 14 June 2023 00:55:58(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

"Lack of quality people" BigGrin

That's a problem in the real world too....... LOL Laugh

Per.

Cool

The title was a double entendre, but back to the smaller problems of Z gauge!

Also items like Brawa 4823 lights or similar are impossible to get anymore. I bought one decades ago, wanted to buy some more.
Offline Toosmall  
#12 Posted : 14 June 2023 01:00:38(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Manga Go to Quoted Post
...there is also a lack of quality animals.

I started out getting some cows for my farm scene from Noch, I was disappointed by the quality of them.
Then went about getting some from Faller, and I was impressed.

The Noch ones look more like bears than cows.
The Faller ones are more realistic with thinner legs and the legs are taller much like a real cow.

I only have thinner cows, Preiser that is. Noch figures do seem to be fatter, I have a few packs of them. Probably actually more representative of modern society!
Offline Toosmall  
#13 Posted : 14 June 2023 01:12:52(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
Bought another pack of "nude" Preiser figures to torture myself for another day! When in the right mood, a bit like cleaning locos, I'll dress them.

I will try to improve on the Vinnies* look & aim for Pierre Cardin etc!

*Australia - second hand clothes charity
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 14 June 2023 23:10:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Toosmall Go to Quoted Post
aim for Pierre Cardin etc!

The only Peter Cardigan (as one of my work colleagues used to say) shirt that I ever owned was one of the most ill fitting ones I ever wore. In an attempt to style it, they made it too tight across the shoulders for its proportions.

Offline Chas  
#15 Posted : 02 August 2023 20:02:58(UTC)
Chas

United Kingdom   
Very good,
Impressed cobber, went to a micro miniature museum in Turkey last month, the guy was using hairs from dead bees, wasp stingers ( Rigid ) spider parts, the place was in Kusadasi, check out their web site, might give results.