Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline einotuominen  
#1 Posted : 09 May 2023 10:54:10(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Hi,

I got this old K83 second hand and I've been driving my decouplers with it. However there was the fourth port available and I hooked a turnout to it.

Seems that it outputs constant current (or ground), like the x84 decoders do. The other ports work just as you'd expect for a turnout decoder.

So my question is, are these configurable with CV and if so, how can I reset the port 4 to work as a normal turnout decoder? If not, I guess the port is broken.

Thanks!

-Eino
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2023 12:13:06(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Eino
If we are talking about 6083, no there are no CVs and the circuit is very simple.
The first generation of these 6083 are using conventional electronic components that you may replace rather easily.
I once repaired one because ofter the transistors are the faulty units
Here is how the PCB looks like
K83.png
Looking at the transistor you will find the marking and be able to reorder on Internet

The second generation uses SMDs (Surface-mounted components) and I never had to repair one.

Now I phased out those modules because they wait for the Central Unit to indicate when you stop pressing on the keyboard's button. If this order is missed, then the solenoid bruns.
Newer modules 60832 will shut off no matter what

Cheers
Jean
Offline einotuominen  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2023 12:45:32(UTC)
einotuominen

Finland   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Eino
If we are talking about 6083, no there are no CVs and the circuit is very simple.

Now I phased out those modules because they wait for the Central Unit to indicate when you stop pressing on the keyboard's button. If this order is missed, then the solenoid bruns.

Cheers
Jean

Hi,

yes exactly 6083. I've paid 10 € for this unit, so I think fixing is it is not really worth it.

I did not know that they don't have auto shut off. All solenoids that I have attached to it have end switches intact (I believe the uncoupler tracks has them too, right?). This was sort of precaution just in case something like this happens. And it did. I would have burned turnout point motor, but luckily I had kept the end switch. (it's in a hidden area, so easy to replace, since no scenery)...

Looks like it would be wise to just buy a 60832 or 60831 (do they actually have anything else different than 60832 does MFX?)

-Eino

Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2023 21:13:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

Originally Posted by: einotuominen Go to Quoted Post
Looks like it would be wise to just buy a 60832 or 60831 (do they actually have anything else different than 60832 does MFX?)

Yes the 60831 and 60832 are identical except, the last is also MFX capable. MFX capability is not a great asset as a stable setting by switches is way better, I think.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2023 10:00:04(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
... the 60831 and 60832 are identical except, the last is also MFX capable.

The 60832 may be configured to operate in 8 address mode (as compared to 4 pairs/toggles)
And it is black instead of white
Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 10 May 2023 10:09:59(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
If this order is missed, then the solenoid bruns.

OR your PC (software) does not send the appropriate command according to protocol

Quote:

In 4-address "pair" mode you may define whether or not to sense end point cutoff and also the max duration (up to about 10 seconds)

You may also specify the power (PWM) applied (e.g. C-track points need less power than M-Track points)

Individual ports may be configured to stay on, (or continuously perform a pattern - e.g. blinking)

Edited by user 10 May 2023 13:44:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by clapcott