Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2023 07:40:50(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I have a small layout with a loop and 2 stop locations - a home stop and a midway stop. the train starts at the home stop goes around to the midway stop (stays there for 10 seconds) and then moves back to the home stop (stays there for 10 seconds) and the loop continues until the "Home Stop" button is pressed on the CS3 screen.

I have managed to write the event that does this, however, when the "Home Stop" button is pressed the train stops at the correct location however the event doesn't terminate. I tried using "stop event" which does stop the event but the event is still active.

Does anyone know how I can terminate the event with an event ?

Regards
Greg

Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline LSQ  
#2 Posted : 27 April 2023 14:50:28(UTC)
LSQ

China   
Originally Posted by: Drongo Go to Quoted Post
I have a small layout with a loop and 2 stop locations - a home stop and a midway stop. the train starts at the home stop goes around to the midway stop (stays there for 10 seconds) and then moves back to the home stop (stays there for 10 seconds) and the loop continues until the "Home Stop" button is pressed on the CS3 screen.

I have managed to write the event that does this, however, when the "Home Stop" button is pressed the train stops at the correct location however the event doesn't terminate. I tried using "stop event" which does stop the event but the event is still active.

Does anyone know how I can terminate the event with an event ?

Regards
Greg

Hi Greg,

Assume there are Contact Track K1 at midway stop and Contact Track K2 at home stop. Also create virtual Article "Home Stop Button".

Create event "K1": when train arrive K1, its speed changes to 0 and delay 10 seconds, then resume speed 30 to move.

Create event "K2": when train arrive K2, its speed changes to 0 and delay 10 seconds, on condition that "Home Stop Button" is green, train will resume its speed 30 to move; if before train arrive K2, "Home Stop Button" pressed and changed to red, train will not resume moving and stay at home stop.

Create event "Home Button": when "Home Stop Button" pressed and changed to green, train will resume its speed at 30 and departure from home stop.

Above are simple events to achieve your work, you may enrich and make them much better.
Offline rhfil  
#3 Posted : 27 April 2023 20:13:49(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I am not sure exactly where you find the above home stop feature nor what it does. Have to play around a bit. But one possible option is the CS3 Halt which can be added with the + button. That stops all action without turning off the CS3. It also returns the event to the start location.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline LSQ  
#4 Posted : 28 April 2023 02:55:43(UTC)
LSQ

China   
As explained "Home Stop Button" is only a virtual Article created, it could be a light, signal, turnout, etc., which have 2 options, then Events could decide what to do according to different situation of this virtual Article.

It is same as use real Article as a conditon in Events, train moves when a real light is on, and will stop when this light is off. Virtual Article is costless and will not influece other Events.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LSQ
Offline Drongo  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2023 14:17:21(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks fellas for the information. I can successfully pause the event, however, the event is still active and when I turn off the "Home" button the event starts up again. Interestingly, if I shut down the CS3 the event is terminated. This is what I want to do i.e. terminate the event without shutting down the CS3. In the "controls" there is a "Stop Event" but not a "terminate Event".
Offline LSQ  
#6 Posted : 28 April 2023 14:29:54(UTC)
LSQ

China   
Thanks fellas for the information. I can successfully pause the event, however, the event is still active and when I turn off the "Home" button the event starts up again. Interestingly, if I shut down the CS3 the event is terminated. This is what I want to do i.e. terminate the event without shutting down the CS3. In the "controls" there is a "Stop Event" but not a "terminate Event".

Does "terminate the event" mean after terminate event, when train arrive K1 or K2, nothing will happen?
Offline rhfil  
#7 Posted : 28 April 2023 17:00:03(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
"Terminate Event" is just a term and could describe a number of different states. You need to describe exactly what you need to occur when you "Terminate Event". As an example, "Stop Event" precludes the event from moving on to the next action but does not remove the results of previous events such as engine speed setting. "Terminate Event" prevents any future events from occurring and resets the event to the start location but again does not undo any event settings such as engine speed setting. Admittedly the "Terminate Event" can not be entered as an event but why would you want it? What feature of it do you want?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Tie  
#8 Posted : 28 April 2023 18:14:55(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
I make all my events without these contact icons. Use the train I want to run as icon in event. Meaning when you manually trigger the event it is valid for train in icon. Event for the whole loop: train located on home station
In event: set correct way of travel. Set speed. Insert contact for mid stop. Set it to wait to be occupied(event will wait til train hits this contact. Then next symbol in event is stop train and set this symbol to wait 10 sec. Next symbol set speed… then as above insert contact for home staition. When train hits this contact nex icon is stop train…
Event is now complete.
You may create a new event with same train as icon and drag first event you made into this. Say 3 times. The inserted events must be said to run after each other. Do not know if this is what you want….
Have never tried the if function… but should be possible to use if a virtual contact is on: run event above(endlessly) if off nothing or if a command is required: blow horn or whatever. Anybody tried somthing like that.
Regards
Thor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
Offline David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 28 April 2023 21:32:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I presume that the event mentioned is continuous but at some point the event has to stop and not continue. I really dont know the best way to do this other than just turn down the speed control to off if the loco starts up again. I run two events and they just keep going while I run the other locos manually and when finishing the seeion just hit the mstop button and switch off the CS3.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline rhfil  
#10 Posted : 28 April 2023 22:12:10(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
If you have a sensor - circuit track, contact track, or reed circuit - that is not activated during your layout operation you can use it to accomplish the same thing. It can shut the CS3 off or bring everything to a halt. You can do it with a different event or insert it anyplace in existing events. Then just by clicking on the sensor you can shut everything down. If you insert it one of the continuous running events it will not happen until the cycle reaches it.
Offline LSQ  
#11 Posted : 29 April 2023 03:03:40(UTC)
LSQ

China   

May create another virtual Article "Event" and add it to all previous events as a condition, only when "Event" is green, these events work, otherwise, all these events will be terminated.

Now when "Event" is green:
1. "Home Button" is green, train will move after a 10 seconds stop at midstop, then move again after a 10 seconds stop at home stop;
2. "Home Button" is red, train will move after a 10 seconds stop at midstop, then remain at home stop, when change "Home Button" to green, train will move to midstop again, resume all process as 1;

When "Event" is red, train will move in the loop without any stops, no event will happen.
Offline Drongo  
#12 Posted : 29 April 2023 05:12:38(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: LSQ Go to Quoted Post

Does "terminate the event" mean after terminate event, when train arrive K1 or K2, nothing will happen?

In the "Control" icon there are 3 options - <Block Event> ; <Terminate Event> ; <Stop Event>

I can use <Stop Event> in an event, however I cannot use <Terminate Event> in an event. And this is what I want to do.

Any suggestions ?
Offline LSQ  
#13 Posted : 29 April 2023 07:39:19(UTC)
LSQ

China   
Originally Posted by: LSQ Go to Quoted Post

In the "Control" icon there are 3 options - <Block Event> ; <Terminate Event> ; <Stop Event>

I can use <Stop Event> in an event, however I cannot use <Terminate Event> in an event. And this is what I want to do.

Any suggestions ?

Block events, Terminate events, Stop events are 3 options to control running events, they are not actions we add in a event to control train, turnout, signal and other articles on the layout, may get more information from help of CS3. So we will not use Block, Terminate or Stop events when create or edit content of event.

We could Block events at any time.

We could only Stop or Terminate event when it is still running, when event is finished, we could not Stop or Terminate it anymore, because nothing to be Stopped or Terminated. If we start run previous event K1, red pointer will stop before Speed 30, because we set a 10 seconds delay after Speed 0, now we can click Control then select Stop events or Terminate events. If a event is short or no delay after actions, it will finish soon, red pointer will move from left to right then back to the far left fast, no time for us to click Control and select Stop Events or Terminate Events.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LSQ
Offline Tie  
#14 Posted : 29 April 2023 09:12:30(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
Now this was interesting. I run 10-15 events simultanously to control 5 trains. During testing seeing something did not work as expected I were never able to terminate events. Assume this should terminate all events. Now I got the Idea that i can select one by one and terminate. If so I can make/record an event to do this for each… and include setting speed to zero. Must test after weekend. Not at home now.
Anybody have info of this?
Regards
Thor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tie
Offline Pasquiles  
#15 Posted : 29 April 2023 11:25:12(UTC)
Pasquiles

Luxembourg   
Hi,

I learned a lot about the usage of CS3 from Model Train Fun.

He explains quite nicely how to do automatisations.

I used “his” method and manage the run of 5 trains automatically.

I use an umbrella macro that contains the 10 events for the trains (1 for each direction), the trigger of the umbrella macro is a light with a virtual address. When I turn on the “light”, the umbrella event goes on and when it finish turn off the light, as this is the last action of the event. Then the event will run again but only the moment I turn on the light which of course is the visible in the control desk along with the track plan.

Hope it helps!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Pasquiles
Offline Drongo  
#16 Posted : 30 April 2023 07:48:16(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Pasquiles Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

I learned a lot about the usage of CS3 from Model Train Fun.

He explains quite nicely how to do automatisations.

I used “his” method and manage the run of 5 trains automatically.

I use an umbrella macro that contains the 10 events for the trains (1 for each direction), the trigger of the umbrella macro is a light with a virtual address. When I turn on the “light”, the umbrella event goes on and when it finish turn off the light, as this is the last action of the event. Then the event will run again but only the moment I turn on the light which of course is the visible in the control desk along with the track plan.

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the information. I have watched these tutorials several times and I just can't seem to get it right. I've managed (some how) to start the event and to stop the event by pressing a "stop button" on the screen. I use Traincontroller for my layout (this layout is for a friend who insists on using the "virtues of the CS3+", which I find to be extremely difficult. I remember doing computer programming using Fortran 4 in the very early '70's but this Marklin system is a lot more difficult. Maybe, I'm just too old and forgotten my programming skills - Traincontroller is more complex but for a simple operation like this, it is very easy - you just fill in the variables. Anyway, I'll keep trying.

Regards
Greg
Offline johnmccauley  
#17 Posted : 30 April 2023 11:34:37(UTC)
johnmccauley

United States   
I have been setting up block sections so I can run multiple trains on the same line. Stop at the stations etc… Using the CS3+

Each block has a contact track at the start and end with a signal also at the end.

Then I add a virtual switch that the contacts sets to red when a train is between them on the block. Green when not present.

Then I have an event that is triggered when the switch turns red. The signal on the previous block turns red. When turns green, previous turns green.

This way I can run one train per block.

I try and avoid referencing trains directly. Also find it helpful to write out in pseudocode first.

I do have an extra signal for the station, where I want the train to stop for a set amount of time. A contract track sets this one to red and then sets to green after a delay.

I have not had the issue with events not terminating. I do find the UI really difficult to use once you have more than a couple of events. Which is why I write out the logic first.

One other trick I have used is to have one train somewhere then have a macro that plays a sound. Then I add the macro to an event for debugging purposes. Really need a logging ability.

Some suggestions.
Offline Pasquiles  
#18 Posted : 01 May 2023 16:47:43(UTC)
Pasquiles

Luxembourg   
Hi again,92BF2AC3-1299-4E65-8CBA-77408065BDC4.jpeg78662A4C-EFC5-4661-AA3B-5FD1828BDCF4.jpegCAE26053-6ECE-4A07-9149-C02A640DE381.jpeg

Just in case… to provide some more of detail:

In settings I have this set:

So events will run only once if trigger.

Here also an example of one of small umbrella event, with the light (virtual direction) as trigger. And to finish the view of the track plan, where you can see the ‘lights’ as well.

Regards,
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Pasquiles