Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Eddie7979  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2023 17:25:21(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Hi all,

I have the Marklin 37689 DB Shunter and having some issues with one of the functions.

Basically, the F5 function or the ABV Off feature doesn’t seem to work. What happens instead, I get a variety sounds all in one hit (like the locomotive is having a seizure or something).

So the question is, how do rectify this?

I’m using the CS3 Plus.

Unfortunately I’ve had 2 other locomotoves do the same thing except they went a bit crazy. I’ve just sent them back to Marklin repairer who originally converted them these analog locomotoves to digital.

Does anyway have any ideas on how to fix this problem or know what causes it?
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline rhfil  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2023 20:04:42(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Most of the sound functions can be changed and merged - like the running sound. It appears that somehow happened and replaced the ABV off. I would place the loco on a programming track and do a reset of it.
Out of curiosity do you know what the "Sound-/Decoderproject" is?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2023 23:28:58(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Tried a factory reset?
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by applor
Offline Eddie7979  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2023 01:06:44(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
Most of the sound functions can be changed and merged - like the running sound. It appears that somehow happened and replaced the ABV off. I would place the loco on a programming track and do a reset of it.
Out of curiosity do you know what the "Sound-/Decoderproject" is?

I’m not too sure sorry, I’m not able to download the Marklin software because I have a Mac at home. I need to ask some friends who have a PC so download and then access the sound project files.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Eddie7979  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2023 01:13:01(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Tried a factory reset?

I was contemplating doing a factory reset but wasn’t too sure. I give that a try once I get home from work.

I hope this will fix it.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2023 01:55:14(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
You do not need a pc to change sounds. Can do it with loco edit. The ABV off would not be a sound so not sure how you change or create it. Marklin Dudes showed how to do it in a webinar. I will try to find it.
Offline Eddie7979  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2023 02:32:42(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
You do not need a pc to change sounds. Can do it with loco edit. The ABV off would not be a sound so not sure how you change or create it. Marklin Dudes showed how to do it in a webinar. I will try to find it.

Actually I started watching this last night but didn’t finish it. I misunderstood, I thought you meant sound library on the Marklin website, you need a PC to download the software and access the sounds.

I have gone into those settings but as a novice, didn’t want to start playing around with things I have no idea about.

I’m hoping the factory reset will put the settings back to default, just like it was when I bought it. Just a bit confused about how it happen in the first place.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2023 02:40:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Would it be that it has anything to do with your Märklin repairer ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Eddie7979  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2023 02:49:23(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Would it be that it has anything to do with your Märklin repairer ?

John

Hi John,

Not in this case, this locomotive was never repaired - i bought it brand new.

The other 2 were converted and worked really well for a long time when I used the Mobile Station.

Something seemed to have caused them to go a little crazy. The other 3 locomotives that were converted work totally fine (actually the repairer is super experienced and does a great job cleaning the parts). I think I’ll be recording the setting for those in case they also somehow go a bit funny.
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline rhfil  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2023 16:14:30(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I too am reluctant to play with the sound modification feature but the video shows two relevant features. 1. That the locomotive sound function is a compilation of individual sounds. 2. That the functions are not locked and can be moved or replaced. So somehow that happened with your loco. I once, very long ago, registered a new mfx loco on my CS3+ and it somehow changed the address of two other locos on the layout at the time. So I now am more careful when I do that. Note it only happened once and I had registered many other mfx locos on the layout with other locos on it. So not sure what happened. And a friend, new to Marklin, registered his first loco with a MS2 and it for some weird reason gave it a DCC address and a mfx address.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2023 23:18:46(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Eddie7979 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I have the Marklin 37689 DB Shunter and having some issues with one of the functions.

Basically, the F5 function or the ABV Off feature doesn’t seem to work. What happens instead, I get a variety sounds all in one hit (like the locomotive is having a seizure or something).

I’m using the CS3 Plus.

Unfortunately I’ve had 2 other locomotoves do the same thing except they went a bit crazy. I’ve just sent them back to Marklin repairer who originally converted them these analog locomotoves to digital.

Hi Eddie
When in doubt on a Märklin loco then perform a factory reset (CV8=8)
ATTENTION: to perform the reset, the loco must be powered by the program track AND must be alone on this track
On the CS3 it gets even simpler
1 - edit locos
cs3_Loco_Edit.png
2 - Select the loco
3 - on the middle tab, select the Init (or Reset) button while the power is on (the STOP bar is off)
Init Loco.png
4 - wait until finished

Indeed using the mapping fonction on a MFX loco, you may assign to one key (F5?) a lot of function together and a Reset clears this
What is the risk of reseting an MFX loco? None really but:
- the sound may come back in full force as per the factory adjustment
- the speed curve and maximum curve may be changed as per the factory adjustment
- fonctions may be changed to the factory status

One thing you write bothers me is "Unfortunately I’ve had 2 other locomotoves do the same thing except they went a bit crazy".

One possibility is one piece of track in your layout is causing problems (e.g.: an RF noise suppressor module like the 74046) that may distort the digital signal.
In this case take a couple of tracks connected directly to the CS3+ while the layout is not powered and see if the same happens

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
bph
Offline Eddie7979  
#12 Posted : 05 April 2023 02:53:36(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Eddie7979 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

I’m using the CS3 Plus.

Hi Eddie
When in doubt on a Märklin loco then perform a factory reset (CV8=8)
ATTENTION: to perform the reset, the loco must be powered by the program track AND must be alone on this track
On the CS3 it gets even simpler
1 - edit locos
cs3_Loco_Edit.png
2 - Select the loco
3 - on the middle tab, select the Init (or Reset) button while the power is on (the STOP bar is off)
Init Loco.png
4 - wait until finished

Indeed using the mapping fonction on a MFX loco, you may assign to one key (F5?) a lot of function together and a Reset clears this
What is the risk of reseting an MFX loco? None really but:
- the sound may come back in full force as per the factory adjustment
- the speed curve and maximum curve may be changed as per the factory adjustment
- fonctions may be changed to the factory status

One thing you write bothers me is "Unfortunately I’ve had 2 other locomotoves do the same thing except they went a bit crazy".

One possibility is one piece of track in your layout is causing problems (e.g.: an RF noise suppressor module like the 74046) that may distort the digital signal.
In this case take a couple of tracks connected directly to the CS3+ while the layout is not powered and see if the same happens

Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean,

Thanks for the information, this is very helpful.

Last night I did a reset on the problematic locomotive and it worked! I also figured out that the locomotives that were converted to digital worked perfectly after doing a reset as well.

So the problem, that’s is all on me and my bad habit of fiddling around with things I don’t understand! The related to the changes I mean when I rectified the function icons, I decided to make some of the sounds ‘momentary’ or ‘duration’. For example, the whistle - I changed to run for a second.

The trouble came when I started to doing that for the fan and compressor sounds (some others too). I didn’t realise it would interfere with the running sounds. I’m going to do a reset on all the locomotives I have to avoid further issues, a couple of others I did seem to run so much better.

Thanks for your help everyone, it was so helpful!
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Bryan  
#13 Posted : 05 April 2023 03:48:01(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear Jean and Eddie

Good to see the problems resolved with your decoders, we all learn from gentlemen like Jean.
I would just like point out two things with the generic mSD/3 decoders you are using, and not the factory supplied originals.

The sound files with a CV8 reset will restore the original sound files, however you will loose any downloaded ones.
The downloads would then have to be redone.

Also on a mSD/3, if you change the motor CV's at CV level, these will not be restored with a CV8 reset. This maybe different with initial downloaded file motor parameters, via Marklin.

I did this a while ago and resorted to hand typing in the motor CV's according to the instruction manual defined defaults, which fixed a problem.

regards
David
Offline Eddie7979  
#14 Posted : 05 April 2023 05:04:31(UTC)
Eddie7979

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
Dear Jean and Eddie

Good to see the problems resolved with your decoders, we all learn from gentlemen like Jean.
I would just like point out two things with the generic mSD/3 decoders you are using, and not the factory supplied originals.

The sound files with a CV8 reset will restore the original sound files, however you will loose any downloaded ones.
The downloads would then have to be redone.

Also on a mSD/3, if you change the motor CV's at CV level, these will not be restored with a CV8 reset. This maybe different with initial downloaded file motor parameters, via Marklin.

I did this a while ago and resorted to hand typing in the motor CV's according to the instruction manual defined defaults, which fixed a problem.

regards
David

Hi David,

Actually, when I did a reset on a locomotive that was converted to digital by a local repairer I was worried that all the custom settings would be lost.

Since I was going to send the locomotive back anyway, I thought I could just try it and see what happens. To my surprise, it’s was reset to the specifications that was programmed by the repairer. The sounds files and outputs were unique to the type locomotive.

Also, I have 2 locomotives that have custom station announcements (ie NMBS train from Oostende has an announcement in Flemish, the SNCF train has an announcement to passengers of cancelled services due to strike action - in French).

After the reset, both of the announcements were still there. I think it might be because they were programmed as the default setting perhaps?
Eddie
Perth 🇦🇺
Marklin | Roco | Piko
CS3+ & Rocrail
Offline Bryan  
#15 Posted : 05 April 2023 08:38:52(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi Eddie

It is a mystery that the sound files were not over written with defaults on the mSD/3.
I thought the defaults in the firmware was what would be used, however not here.
Maybe it is just function key timing and sound levels restored to default, as in your case.

So the question is, what is actually set to default with a CV8 reset.
Does anyone know?

I am glad the NMBS station announcements were not overwritten, as these are special WAV files.

best regards
David
Offline JohnjeanB  
#16 Posted : 05 April 2023 12:03:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi David
Not sure here but it seems to me that:
- the sound files are really huge (xGbytes) so the mSD3 cannot store both the "new sound" and the "old sound" so Märklin probably chosed not the erase sound and replace them with nothing.
- definitely the usual parameters (sound level, accel. delay, brake delay, curve, etc) are reset to factory levels.
- about the addresses, I don't know as I use MFX (addresses are imposed by the system) but the master is my CS2 or my CS3, the addresses are left unchanged most of the time;
- the fonction mapping is reset to factory values.

All the above are assumptions on my part and some are what I observed on my MFX locos
All around a nice system.
I have noticed that when I do an update (or ask for one) my locos cannot be driven by Rocrail just like that.
In this case I must - while in edit locos mode - must call each loco and they start working after that. Is this just me?
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bph  
#17 Posted : 05 April 2023 14:58:50(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Does anyone know?

I am glad the NMBS station announcements were not overwritten, as these are special WAV files.

best regards
David

I belove JohnjeanB is right.

the reset probably resets the decoder back to the last programming. and a full programming writes over everything. (if i remember correctly)

However, when a decoder is programmed from a PC through a cs3, it seems like a temporary copy of the project is stored in the cs3. and if something fails during the transfer/programming the "original" project is restored.
this happened to me when I did a reprogramming of a factory decoder. checked the decoder and it was ok with the original sounds and settings etc. and the next attempt was successful.
Offline rhfil  
#18 Posted : 05 April 2023 14:59:15(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I change the long whistle on all my mfx locos to a short whistle that is longer than the short whistle. And I change most of the sounds that are off/on to similarly timed durations. So that should not have caused your problem.
I think your custom sounds are great.
I have been interested in computers since 1960 and firmly believe that if you are faced with a dire situation just reboot the computer. That has solved my problems many times as I love to poke and occasionally have poked a bear. Glad to see that it still works.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#19 Posted : 05 April 2023 14:59:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi Eddie

It is a mystery that the sound files were not over written with defaults on the mSD/3.
I thought the defaults in the firmware was what would be used, however not here.
Maybe it is just function key timing and sound levels restored to default, as in your case.

Does anyone know?

best regards
David

I would be extremely surprised to find a sound file replaced by a CV8 reset. For one, the downloaded sound file REPLACES whatever sound file is already in the decoder. It then proceeds to set up a dose of CVs related to the sound file, and I would expect, like the current default action for Loksound decoders, that these CV values would become the defaults for those CVs.

It sounds to me like you had a decoder which had motor CVs changed after a sound file was loaded, perhaps by doing an autotune (which would be how I would attempt to reinstate them if this happened to me).
Offline Goofy  
#20 Posted : 13 April 2023 19:32:39(UTC)
Goofy

I did too had problem with the V60 37689 and it was lighting function in the loco that didn´t work by change direction until the loco did start move at first speed step with the CS3.
Did tested with Lenz system and the V60 did worked normal with the lighting direction.
So i tried to reset loco with the CS3 but it didn´t worked.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control