Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 11 March 2023 17:19:52(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I got this locomotive as I was going to just do some basic maintenance to it. Everything else is now fixed except it doesn’t run in the forward direction. Reversing unit pulls when I try to change direction but when it should go forwards it just has that electrical ”bzzzzzttttzzzttt” sound LOL . Another direction change and it runs again backwards.

I have changed new traction tyres, new brushes to the motor, cleaned the motor etc. It didn’t change the issue when I soldered those two reversing unit wires to the other contact points. Reversing unit seems to work ok as when I ”cross soldered” those two wires it still runs backwards.

What could cause this? Is the problem in the motors coil winding or where could it be?

Thanks in advance for any help! Cool

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 11 March 2023 20:39:08(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Janne
There are 2 points where the trouble can be:
- the direction change relay (bad contact) but you checked it so this is not it.
- the 2 thin enameled wires between the induction coil and the brush holder close to the coil. Typically, while cleaning the motor, one of the wires breaks which prevents the loco to work in one direction. This is most probably what you have and the buzzing sound comes from the relay and this is normal.

So it is about using a thin tip soldering iron and adding a little length of another solenoid and a bit of heatshrink tube (1 mm diameter or less). Alternately, a Liquid Tape insulator (in the USAs) to isolate connections in boats also available on Internet. This is like a plastic coating paint.

Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB