Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JTaylo93  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2023 16:57:27(UTC)
JTaylo93

United States   
Hello all,

Not necessarily new to the hobby as I have done HO stuff with my father for years, but new to 1 Guage and new to Marklin as a whole. I am trying to replace the smoke generator in my father-in-law's locomotive from a Marklin 5441 starter kit he has had for 20+ years.

Removing the smoke unit went fine, but finding a replacement part seems to be my current challenge. I found a post stating that the "standard" for Marklins is a Seuthe smoke generator, but the unit I took out doesn't seem to match anything in their current catalog. It is a standard cylinder with no taper and with the plastic cover over the copper measures 9mm and is approximately 33mm long.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction for this? Thank you in advance.

PXL_20230108_025947507.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JTaylo93
Online marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2023 17:29:03(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Welcome Jay! Pa. born here, but from Pittsburgh originally. I'm an ho scaler.
It's a "Maxi"Loco. so all metal yes? I dpn't see a differnet smoke unit online anywhere for Marklin 1. I don't know if it has the HO one, or larger. If it's HO, you can use the standard 7226 unit, or the ppastic square chmney one from Suethe rated for 16 to 24 volts. Have you tried making it smoke out of the Locomotive with track power? Sometimes they work that way, and it's a contact problem in the Loc. I'm sure a 1 gague expert will tell you.
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2023 19:53:24(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

The correct Märklin item number is E662680; but sold out, and most likely impossible to find.

According to Stummi's et.al. you can use a Seuthe no. 7, however it doesn't fit without modifications.

You either have to drill the hole in the chimney bigger, or remove the taper ring on the Seuthe - or a bit of both Blink

I have not tried this conversion myself; but I think Xxup did it a long time ago: https://www.marklin-user.../t2082-Busted-Smoke-Unit

A lot of German talk on the same subject: https://www.stummiforum....M-rklin-Maxi-Spur-I.html

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline JTaylo93  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2023 15:55:13(UTC)
JTaylo93

United States   
Thanks for all the great information! I know the stack is totally dead because when I check the resistance it shows as a short, so I did not try anything else in terms of powering it.

Looking at the Seuthe 7, it is also longer that what I need, I am curious if I would be able to take a Dremel and trim off the excess ~5mm. I will make sure I do some more digging into the links provided! I will make sure to update this with what I did to try to help the next poor sucker BigGrin
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2023 16:48:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: JTaylo93 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for all the great information! I know the stack is totally dead because when I check the resistance it shows as a short, so I did not try anything else in terms of powering it.

Looking at the Seuthe 7, it is also longer that what I need, I am curious if I would be able to take a Dremel and trim off the excess ~5mm. I will make sure I do some more digging into the links provided! I will make sure to update this with what I did to try to help the next poor sucker BigGrin

One trick might be to fit a Loksound 5L decoder, (might also require a magnet change) and fit a synchronised smoke unit from ESU. BigGrin BigGrin

i have a G1 Br89 I'm looking into doing this conversion on. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2023 18:22:07(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
might also require a magnet change

All MAXI models have DC motors Cool

Your BR89 can be AC or DC Cool

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2023 18:57:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

might also require a magnet change

All MAXI models have DC motors Cool

Your BR89 can be AC or DC Cool

Per.

Cool

I know my Br89 is AC, I wasn't sure if Maxi locos had an AC or DC motor, that is why I said 'might require a magnet change'. I knew they had Delta decoders.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2023 20:10:24(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I know my Br89 is AC, I wasn't sure if Maxi locos had an AC or DC motor, that is why I said 'might require a magnet change'. I knew they had Delta decoders.

I'm not mocking you, just trying to help both of you.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage