Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Pronto5  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2023 17:56:23(UTC)
Pronto5

Canada   
Hello,

I am quite appalled at what I've read regarding software updates for the mobile station 2 (60657). I have older software on this unit and realized that there seems to be absolutely no way to update it without a command Station CS2 or CS3. If someone can confirm this on this forum, just to be certain, that would be good.

Second, I read in this forum that Marklin was planning a WLAN module for the MS2 but I do not see it on their website anywhere. I emailed Marklin USA to get info about this WLAN module and asked about updating the MS2.

If anyone knows a way to update without buying a $1000Cdn CS3, please let me know.

Regards,

Can
Montreal, Canada
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pronto5
Offline rhfil  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2023 21:27:11(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Find a dealer. Phone a friend. Join a club.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2023 21:49:07(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Pronto5 Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I am quite appalled at what I've read regarding software updates for the mobile station 2 (60657). I have older software on this unit and realized that there seems to be absolutely no way to update it without a command Station CS2 or CS3. If someone can confirm this on this forum, just to be certain, that would be good.

That is definitely the only way to update an ms2. There is a Marklin dealer in Quebec and they should be able to do it for you. Worst case you could post it to them and they would then post it back to you. If you have more than one ms2 you only need to send one as any others will then update to the same revision when next used with an updated one. The track box will update from the ms2 the first time you use the combination.

IIRC the dealer in Quebec is Mikes Trains - can someone from the area confirm this and give any further information.

Second, I read in this forum that Marklin was planning a WLAN module for the MS2 but I do not see it on their website anywhere. I emailed Marklin USA to get info about this WLAN module and asked about updating the MS2.

There is a WLAN version of the ms2 planned for use with a cs2 or cs3. My understanding is that it will work with a standard wireless router attached to a cs2 or cs3. There has only been a preliminary announcement about this so far, and we await a formal announcement, possibly in the New Items announcement due next week.

I have not heard of any plans to make an adapter that could be used with an ms2 track box to allow use of a WLAN device with an ms2 setup.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 15 January 2023 10:12:50(UTC)
Goofy

Possible it may happens with WLAN.
Or USB stick to the PC by upgrade MS2 will be fine too.
If this happens i also believe Märklin will present a new era digital system that allows with RailCom too.
A black digital box with mfx/mfx+, DCC and with RailCom are welcome so customer can use devices like mobil phones, tablets or PC as cab control.
Rocos Z21( black digital box for DCC and MM) are more popular now than Märklins CS3.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2023 10:19:57(UTC)
Goofy

Hello,

If anyone knows a way to update without buying a $1000Cdn CS3, please let me know.

Regards,

Can
Montreal, Canada

Hello!
Yes...you need a CS3 to upgrade MS2.
You have to visit dealer and ask if they can upgrade yours MS2 but it cost some few dollars.
Depends if you did not bought MS2 at the dealers shop.
Don´t forget to upgrade the box too that MS2 needs to work to control yours locomotives.

H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2023 12:10:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Possible it may happens with WLAN.
Or USB stick to the PC by upgrade MS2 will be fine too.
If this happens i also believe Märklin will present a new era digital system that allows with RailCom too.
A black digital box with mfx/mfx+, DCC and with RailCom are welcome so customer can use devices like mobil phones, tablets or PC as cab control.

You have gone rambling off topic again Goofy. Most of this is irrelevant to the questions asked.

Rocos Z21( black digital box for DCC and MM) are more popular now than Märklins CS3.

A claim based on what information? another ramble in the forest?
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2023 12:38:54(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

A claim based on what information? another ramble in the forest?

Exactly, what information do you have that backs that up?

A little birdie told you so it must me true....

Maybe a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend works at the Department of Controller sales and has the actual sales figures.

Sounds more like fake news to me, even though the Z21 is quite good (Yes, I added to my controller collection by buying one, so speaking from experience.).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2023 13:31:22(UTC)
Goofy

People buys devices like mobil phone or tablets which also can been use for the railway layout as cab control.
Märklin knows how it works and in fact does Rocos Z21 are popular as digital system.
Märklin will too change by follow more easier way by offer customer better solution about new digital system.
TS did also write by not waste about $1000 for an CS3 just to upgrade MS2.
MS3 with WLAN or USB will change customer ideas to buy it rather than expensive CS3.
H0
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 15 January 2023 17:57:37(UTC)
H0

The update can be transferred from MS2 to MS2.
So if you buy a new MS2, you can update your old MS2 to the same level.
Maybe you can mail your MS2 to a forum member in Canada to get the update.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Mark5  
#10 Posted : 16 January 2023 03:58:46(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hello Can aka Pronto,

We are not far from each other. I have a CS3. Perhaps we can work out a time to get things in order. I am still learning about my CS3 but have started to find my way around the menus; added about 10 locos. Got decoders in switches functioning. But little more.

Hopefully we will be able to meet with a few Marklinists in Montreal in February or the end of the month. Yet to be planned and waiting on others. Are you around town at that time?

Cheers,
Mark

PS Feel free to PM

Can
Montreal, Canada

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline Mark5  
#11 Posted : 16 January 2023 04:14:46(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

That is definitely the only way to update an ms2. There is a Marklin dealer in Quebec ....

IIRC the dealer in Quebec is Mikes Trains - can someone from the area confirm this and give any further information.

No dealer in Quebec, only in Ontario. Yes the dealer's name in Toronto, Ontario is Mike and the shop is called Westend Trains. Very capable dealer who responds quickly by email. Also takes calls but runs two businesses (full-sized real not model boat repair) in one location so I try not to use up too much of his time. Worth a visit to the shop when passing through the city.

Quebec lost two Marklin dealers in the past 15 years.
Along with two model shops that I know of, maybe more.
Two other model MMR shops (not euro or marklin) Udisco and Hobby Jonction (yes spelt with an O as in the french version with an English work "Hobby" brought of English. Complicated language issues in Quebec. Crying Laugh )

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark5
Offline rhfil  
#12 Posted : 16 January 2023 15:27:50(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
There are a number of Marklin users south of you if you are interested. ETE-ENE https://www.ete-ene.org models European trains but most of us use Markin nearly everything. We have meetings in Massachusetts and occasionally in New Hampshire if you are mobile enough and interested. One thing you need to know is that to upgrade your CS3 and any attached mobile units a connection to the internet is required. That can be easily by Ethernet cable or by wifi with a modem attached to the CS3. The CS3 does not have wifi. You need not have the CS3 attached to the layout.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 16 January 2023 15:40:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
One thing you need to know is that to upgrade your CS3 and any attached mobile units a connection to the internet is required.
Internet connection is required to update the CS3.
An updated CS3 can update Mobile Stations without Internet connection and without connection to the layout.
No Internet connection required to update Mobile Stations at club meetings.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline rhfil  
#14 Posted : 16 January 2023 16:28:31(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
When I update my CS3 and have a mobile station attached to it there is a separate step required for each. If I do not have a mobile station does one even show up on the screen? And if I do not have a mobile station connected to the CS3 will it still update the mobile station software?
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 16 January 2023 16:57:13(UTC)
H0

And if I do not have a mobile station connected to the CS3 will it still update the mobile station software?
The CS 3 will download the components for the MS2 even if no MS2 is connected.

If I do not have a mobile station does one even show up on the screen?
When you plug an MS2 into the CS3, the CS3 will detect that there is older software and will allow you to start the update. Some files will be transferred automatically without even asking, bringing the MS2 to an inconsistent software configuration. Great job, Märklin.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline FrankF  
#16 Posted : 10 March 2023 11:22:53(UTC)
FrankF

Denmark   
Some Information regarding the Marklin 60653 / 60657 and Trix 66950 / 66955 - Mobilstation 2 and Marklin 60667 MS2 WLAN + 60117 MS2 WLAN Box

LINK : Marklin 60667 - MS2 WLAN

LINK : Marklin 60117 - MS2 WLAN Box

LINK : https://www.maerklin.de/...loads/System_Rettung.pdf
- Read the Section about MS2 Bootloader ( german langauge ! - translate it with Google )

CS 3 (60226 ) / 3+ ( 60226 ) with newest Software 2.4.0 installed includes MS2 - Update V 3.148 and
GFP V1.47 for the Marklin 60116/60114/60113/60112 - Track-boxes which solves some problems with some newer "sensitive" Marklin Decoders.

CS 2 ( 60215 / 60214 / 60214 ) with Software 4.2.13 or Software 4.3.0 installed includes MS 2 - Update V 3.148 and
GFP V1.47 for the Marklin 60116/60114/60113/60112 - Track-boxes which solves some problems with some newer "sensitive" Marklin Decoders.

An Update for the Marklin and Trix Mobilstation 2 will be supplied and to a MS2 - Unit when the MS2 unit is connected to the CS 3 / 3+ or CS 2 if it needs it.

When connecting the MS2-Unit to CS 3 / 3+ or CS 2 let it be connected through the whole MS2 Update-proces which can take up to 5 - 10 Minuttes.
When CS 3 / 3+ or CS 2 has finished transferring the MS2 - Update to the MS2 - Unit - wait up to 60 Seconds - then the MS2 - Unit will begin to Install the MS2-Updates
which include the new Software-files, Langauage-files and other Stuff.

Dont pull out the MS2 - Cable from CS 3 / 3+ or CS 2 until its finished and shows the Marklin-Logo on the MS2 - Unit again.

If your MS2 - Unit is showing strange Characters in the MS2 - Display or appear not to be working correct you can try to Update the MS2-Unit in Bootloader-Mode.
This can sometimes help you get a non-working MS2 to work again.

Connect the MS2-Unit to CS 3 / 3+ or CS 2 while you press down the Red Button on MS2 ( Green Button on Trix Mobilstation 2 ) when inserting the MS2 Cable into
CS 3 / 3+ or CS 2 - Unit and then release the "press" on the Red Button again .
This will "force" the MS2-Unit to be Updated again - Wait until the Marklin Logo is shown om MS2 again and then see it it works correct again.

An Updated MS2 with Software-Version 3.148 can supply another MS2 with new Software using the Marklin 60116 / 60114 / 60113 / 60112 - Track-boxes.

The first time you connect a Marklin 60116 / 60114 / 60113 / 60112 Track-Box to a "standalone" MS2 - Unit it offers a GFP-Update to V 1.47 for those Boxes,
if it "detects" a lower version on the Track-box.
CS3+ 60216 ( SW:2.5.2 ) - MASTER / CS2 60215 ( SW:4.3.0 ) - SLAVE
MS2 60653/57 ( SW:4.13 ) / MS1 60652 ( SW:1.8AP ) / 60883 S88 LINK ( SW:1.1 )
MDT 3 (SW 3.6.0) - HW: 60970 / 60971 / 60801
ESU LOKPROGRAMMER ( SW 5.2.6 ) / ESU HW: 53451 / 53900 / 53901
Offline vnangli  
#17 Posted : 12 September 2023 19:40:56(UTC)
vnangli

United States   
Hello,

I am quite appalled at what I've read regarding software updates for the mobile station 2 (60657). I have older software on this unit and realized that there …

Don´t forget to upgrade the box too that MS2 needs to work to control yours locomotives.

Are you referring to the Digital Control box which has the wires connected to the track?

I have been trying hard to get my MS2 updated. I don’t have any Marklin CS3 owner near me..
Offline Goofy  
#18 Posted : 13 September 2023 13:23:13(UTC)
Goofy

Hello! I did found that WLAN box 60117 support device like mobilphone and if you use MS WLAN you can upgrade MS2 to latest version.
H0
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 13 September 2023 13:45:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: vnangli Go to Quoted Post
I have been trying hard to get my MS2 updated. I don’t have any Marklin CS3 owner near me..
A CS2 or MS2 can also transfer the update.
If you cannot meet in person, maybe send the MS2 by snailmail to get it updated, e.g. by a fellow forum member.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage