Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Alex H  
#1 Posted : 10 January 2023 12:53:44(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Just finished designing the second iteration of my new HO layout.
Welcome any thoughts, suggestions or ideas.

I have two loops (blue and Green), a station, fiddle yard (yellow), and the light blue line climbs up into the hills, past the helicopter landing pad and ski lift; then either looping back down to the main station, or onto the small ski station

Thanks

Alex

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 11.45.13.png (1,549kb) downloaded 40 time(s).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alex H
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2023 15:11:43(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Alex
Here are my thoughts on your draft layout (I am not crticizing it in any way):
- the turntable has very little space for exit tracks and round house
- there is little space for houses and landscapen (one way to solve this is to use multi-levels, I use 3 levels)
- see comments on your layout drawing
plan.png
The switches circled in Blue: are they really needed? or is this for uncoupling locos to send to the depot?

Question : Is this M Track?
Note: Either you have access to all sides of the layout or you should include a "man-hole" near where you cable car is.

In French we say "la critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile" Criticize is easy but creating is difficult.
A turntable and depot are so much fun that I think you should give it more space
Here are my turntable operations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6WnhXPcRqI
Plenty of things to criticize too but just to show how automatic operation and a steam depot can be fun
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Alex H  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2023 18:39:34(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
Hi Jean, and thanks for your comments - no offence taken in any way, its the sort of feedback I was hoping for.

Yes the switches on the right on the sidings are to allow the loco to escape.

I am intending to use C track

I am able to get access (just) all round the layout, so should be OK on this. I cannot go wider but possibly longer.

I loved your video and the turntable. I just like playing with them (like you I suspect!). I did try to incorporate the turntable into the sidings on the right, but it wouldn't work. I am hoping that I can negotiate with "ma femme" some addition space at the bottom of the layout, in which case I can extend the turntable activity to below its current position. I might not install the turntable in the first instance because, as you say, it's not doing a lot.

Take care

Alex
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 10 January 2023 19:40:16(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   

Hi Alex
Yes videos are fun.
Originally Posted by: Alex H Go to Quoted Post
I just like playing with them (like you I suspect!). I did try to incorporate the turntable into the sidings on the right, but it wouldn't work. I am hoping that I can negotiate with "ma femme" some addition space at the bottom of the layout, in which case I can extend the turntable activity to below its current position.I might not install the turntable in the first instance because, as you say, it's not doing a lot.

I don't know your first lady but based on my experience, they tend to be very understanding (mine is BigGrin . She even went to a flea market very early for herself but came back with a Märklin collection dating 1950 - 1952).

Another solution is to think about a layout extension you plug on the permanent part of the layout (e.g. the yard for steamers w. turntable).

The only pain in the neck is to have to remove all rolling stock prior to any removal of the module mais "quand on aime, on ne compte pas". (This should not deter a rail fan).
Cheers
Jean

Offline Alex H  
#5 Posted : 10 January 2023 20:02:47(UTC)
Alex H

United Kingdom   
I have managed to sneak a little space and have managed to change the layout slightly to make the turntable more effective. However, any more space and I start to run into problems with a door !!

Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 18.51.42.png (1,798kb) downloaded 22 time(s).
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2023 23:03:56(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Alex
Here are more comments on your revised plan
reponse 2.png
The top right pair of turn-outs are almost useless (too little space for any loco to escape to the adjacent track.

Typically, behind a station you have a zone for cars and buses but here we have the track to the reversing loop.
You could solve this by embedding the track nearby the station into a cobble stone or tar zone.
Take care
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB