Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rocca  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2022 17:40:59(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Dear friends, I'm so glad I'm allowed to come back to you. For some reason I can't understand, my old account has been lost in the database and I coudn't log in. Finally I 've logged on. Anyway, my question is about this marvellous old 800 Loco, I'm waiting for it being delivered from Germany through E-bay. Apparently it has no Plastic Tyres, but I've seen a lot of tutorial on YouTube, where these tyres are not replaced at all, leaving the wheels free of them. Does it make sense? My other question is about cleaning the wheels and the chassis. Is it good to use petrol for cleaning or does it sound better alchool? thanks so much!
Best regards
Stefano Rocca

Edited by user 13 December 2022 18:58:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2023 01:07:07(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Hi,

I am surprised nobody has replied yet. This is the first time I logged in years I can't believe I have managed to do it. In regard of your question. If you don't replace the rubber tyre the loco will likely have poor traction. The SK800 was produced over a very long period of time and therefore many versions were available. I am not sure as I've been a bit off model railways for a while but very early models might not have a traction tyre, in those the wheels will be completely flat and generally wider than later models. If there is a slot for them I would use them because the loco will work much better. If you are very picky most of those early Marklin used clear plastic tyres but they will be just about impossible to find and you will need to sctick to the availble rubber tyres. If things have not changed in the last 6 or 7 years Marklin makes 3 sizes of tyres for HO, you should use the largerst which will fit locos like the 3048. I hope that gets you on the right track, good luck.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2023 12:45:50(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Views messages in topic : 3,130
Originally Posted by: Rocca Go to Quoted Post
Dear friends, I'm so glad I'm allowed to come back to you. For some reason I can't understand, my old account has been lost in the database and I coudn't log in. Finally I 've logged on. Anyway, my question is about this marvellous old 800 Loco, I'm waiting for it being delivered from Germany through E-bay. Apparently it has no Plastic Tyres, but I've seen a lot of tutorial on YouTube, where these tyres are not replaced at all, leaving the wheels free of them. Does it make sense? My other question is about cleaning the wheels and the chassis. Is it good to use petrol for cleaning or does it sound better alchool? thanks so much!
Best regards
Stefano Rocca

Hi Stefano
The vast majority of SK800s have no tires. I have 2 SK 800 from 1951 without them.

On the later models (not sure about the change date 1954?) there were plastic transparent tires. They were nice but aging poorly (becoming very hard) and can be replaced (for the better) with recent Märklin traction tires. Running a loco normally equipped with tires (wheels with a grove), without them can lead to instability and poor traction.

Regarding rail cleaning, vast subject:
- alcohol, because of its water content is not recommended for M Track (rusting iron)
- many in Germany are using SR24 (both a smoke liquid and a cleaning agent)
- to clean axles and gears, before lubricating, many use lighter fluid.

Attention: alcohol may dissolve the paint on some locos
Cheers
Jean

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB