Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Trainmang23  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2022 07:33:55(UTC)
Trainmang23

United States   
Hello, I have been running a set I inherited ( I believe it is a BR 86 loco, from the 29535 starter set.) It's been running great for a year or two on a pretty simple oval track, but now struggles to make it around the track.

I am using the 32VA transformer (not the Delta unit).. the couplers click, train lights up, and will move in either direction, but only when I have the dial between 100 and 150.... Otherwise nothing.

20220918_171943.jpeg
20220918_171849.jpeg
20220918_171654.jpeg

I tried cleaning and lubricating according to the manual, and also installed new motor brushes, but only a minor improvement. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2022 07:41:15(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
I have to ask, when did you last oil it? The brushes look to be ok so that would be my immediate thought re the Loco itself.

But... it could also be the controller. It's possible the wiper has worked loose and is only making contact internally at the higher ranges.

A quick check you could do for that would be a lamp on the controller output but no loco on the track. The lamp should glow even at a very low setting and get brighter as you increase it.

If the lamp does not come on at all until you have the knob set high then that's likely the issue.

However if the lamp glows across the full range, I'd be suspecting the Loco

Hope this helps

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2022 10:07:49(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Try cleaning the rails, they get dirty over time and can get a build up of oil and residue
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2022 14:01:20(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, those items, plus clean the armature and copper commutator brush plate. Some older Locs., like my br 89 hardly move until the speed dial is above at least 50 or 60. The old field coils, 3 pole vs. 5 pole permanent field magnet motors.
Offline DTaylor91  
#5 Posted : 20 September 2022 05:36:53(UTC)
DTaylor91

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, those items, plus clean the armature and copper commutator brush plate. Some older Locs., like my br 89 hardly move until the speed dial is above at least 50 or 60. The old field coils, 3 pole vs. 5 pole permanent field magnet motors.

To add: clean the carbon residue from between the contacts on the commutator as well.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DTaylor91
Offline Trainmang23  
#6 Posted : 21 September 2022 07:16:24(UTC)
Trainmang23

United States   
Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions.... greatly appreciated!

I oiled the wheels and gears etc per the Marklin instructions, and replaced the motor brushes.. this provided minimal improvement (but still glad I did it, I really learned to appreciate the engineering, after taking it apart).

I then did a pretty thorough track cleaning (first with a clean paint brush, then a yellow rubber track cleaner), including the middle track studs. This helped pretty significantly.. I can now get the loco to go around the track several times again, without stopping, which is great.

However, if I turn the transformer past 150, the loco will immediately stall. I'm considering taking the transformer apart to try to inspect/repair in myself....

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Trainmang23
Offline Trainmang23  
#7 Posted : 10 October 2022 04:15:33(UTC)
Trainmang23

United States   
ok update here... after some more experimenting and research, I realized that at least part of the issue was a dead spot on my 6646 32VA transformer.. I read a bunch of posts on this forum, and took apart the transformer (which took more effort than I expected, drilling and pulling the plastic pegs). I did not have to replace anything (yet), I only bent down the copper arm at the base of the red dial..maybe it had bent over time, or worn down, but was not making sufficient contact. I gently bent the arm down a bit and then tested the train. It works beautifully now, flying around the track effortlessly and smoothly. Thanks to everyone for the help!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Trainmang23