Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Zme  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2022 17:44:34(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello everyone. Hope all is well.

Since many of the new locomotives are being produced with the new Bell Armature motor.

What is the break in process for these new locomotives?

I know, with the 3 and 5 poles motors there was a locomotive break in process which was a lengthy run in each direction. I believe this was primarily to shape the brushes. The new locomotives don't have brushes, so what should we be doing when we get our new item?

Take good care

Dwight
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2022 19:06:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
The new locomotives don't have brushes,

Are you sure about that? All the bell armature locos I have come across have a drum commutator with sealed in brushes.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Zme
Offline Zme  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2022 20:06:30(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, thank you for your comments. I thought the advantage of the new motor, is smooth, quiet, and no brushes to replace. Perhaps the brushes advantage is just that you cannot replace them but would need a new motor as they are sealed inside.

Have the break-in procedures been impacted by this new motor or would the same procedures be followed with a new locomotive? I have received a few and just run it for a short time to set the gears and lubricate everything.

I am sure this would not cause concerns, but would I be surprised if I followed the often described break-in process.

Thanks again, take good care.

Dwight
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2022 20:14:12(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Dwight
Definitely, bell-shaped armature motors have a collector. Their rotor includes no iron so smaller inertia and much bigger sensibility to stalling (rotor cooling is not too great). Overall these motors are excellent (but fragile)
Definitely, the collector is not the only part that needs break in process.

Here Märklin HO fan and I have observed on almost any type of motor / loco that the operation is much improved after a little number of hours of use.
- much smoother operation because of the gear train and motor working surfaces are improving
- much better contact with contact tongues (surface treatment is "machined") for a much improved working.

Does this means I break-in locos like in the old days? No, I use them normally but with a reduced last and at medium speeds.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline georgi UK  
#5 Posted : 18 August 2022 00:00:09(UTC)
georgi UK

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Zme Go to Quoted Post
Hello, thank you for your comments. I thought the advantage of the new motor, is smooth, quiet, and no brushes to replace. Perhaps the brushes advantage is just that you cannot replace them but would need a new motor as they are sealed inside.

Have the break-in procedures been impacted by this new motor or would the same procedures be followed with a new locomotive? I have received a few and just run it for a short time to set the gears and lubricate everything.

I am sure this would not cause concerns, but would I be surprised if I followed the often described break-in process.

Thanks again, take good care.

Dwight

Hi, I also fly drones which can be upgraded with brushless motors when the factory (brushed) ones expire, externally these sealed motors conceal their inner identity, I have seen the Marklin new gen motors described as brushless and guess until we ‘open this can) there is no way of knowing how many worms actually reside there.?! Confused

I have 4 new locos with these motors and will use them without any breaking in process as such, just running the loco only at different speeds to evaluate its performance compared to older gen stock, can only be improved I’m sure?! Please report back on your methods, thanks,,,
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by georgi UK
Zme