Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Which digital protocol do you use with digital locomotives?
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 22 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2022 19:54:27(UTC)
Goofy

Has anyone tried to test Märklin digital locomotives with DCC protocol?
Or you prefer mfx protocol for comfort sake?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2022 20:26:16(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
At home I disable mfx in the controller - for comfort's sake.
At club meetings mfx sometimes has advantages. But with the CS3 it seems very buggy and sometimes we waste a lot of time trying to get Märklin locos to register.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline pederbc  
#3 Posted : 07 July 2022 20:36:26(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hmm, I use all three protocols…..but can only vote on one?

Peder
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 07 July 2022 20:41:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Yep. This reduces the usefulness of the outcome of this poll to some extent.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 07 July 2022 21:34:34(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
I have used DCC on Märklin locos just for evaluation but using a CS3 now (and a CS2 since 2010) changing parameters using CVs is a pain somewhere.
Maybe editing DCC locos is much easier with an ECOS I don't know.

So the huge majority of my locos are using MFX even the one with an ESU decoder (alas on this one I MUST use CVs for any editing).
I discount the historic locos with older decoders using MM2
The only drawback I find using MFX is sometimes, after an update I must quick-register each MFX loco. The loco won't start unless being called individually for editing.

On the CS3, MFX and MM2 protocols are enabled. DCC is disabled.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
bph
Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 08 July 2022 00:29:22(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I have a CS3+ with two simple layouts at home and our club has a CS3+ with a very complicated layout. Neither one has had issues registering mfx locomotives. Occasional problems with both on older locomotives. The one concern I have heard of though not observed is that if you take a mfx locomotive registered on one controller and then register it on another controller you supposedly have to register it again. Also the club controller has so many locomotives registered on it that I think it is beginning to repeat addresses and this seems to be causing locomotives to repeatedly register. Though I am not certain that is what is causing it. Need to do a listing of addresses to see.
Offline mrmarklin  
#7 Posted : 08 July 2022 00:29:50(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Has anyone tried to test Märklin digital locomotives with DCC protocol?

Our module group uses the Intellibox II which is DCC protocol for all new Marklin Loks built in the last several years. So I have experience. Since DCC protocol Lok address is 03, I have had to change the DCC address on
every Lok that runs on the modular layout to avoid duplication.

Much prefer MFX.Love
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
bph
Offline amartinezv  
#8 Posted : 08 July 2022 12:05:51(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello, good morning,
I, whenever I can I use DCC, but I have many locomotives with decoders that only understand MM, that is, delta decoders, 6080, 6090, 6090x, etc, therefore I use DCC and MM, this option is not present in the survey, which I think is wrongly posed.
Greetings to all
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 09 July 2022 11:28:03(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Yep. This reduces the usefulness of the outcome of this poll to some extent.

No the poll to vote is about tho choice a protocol to control digital locomotive.
It is useful information.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#10 Posted : 09 July 2022 11:33:32(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post
Hello, good morning,
I, whenever I can I use DCC, but I have many locomotives with decoders that only understand MM, that is, delta decoders, 6080, 6090, 6090x, etc, therefore I use DCC and MM, this option is not present in the survey, which I think is wrongly posed.
Greetings to all

Mostley of the model railway change out old decoder to better.
A lot of people choice a protocol after changed out decoder to newer.
My poll vote question are clear about what protocol do you use with digital locomotives.
In this case you can only use one protocol to control your locomotive in digital.

H0
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 09 July 2022 23:27:22(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Register a Marklin mfx loco on the program track and never had any bother. Had a Viessman light bar with a decoder which took ages to get to register.
Piko locos are also OK on the CS3 program track.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline amartinezv  
#12 Posted : 11 July 2022 09:48:21(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   

My poll vote question are clear about what protocol do you use with digital locomotives.
In this case you can only use one protocol to control your locomotive in digital.

Dear Goofy, I'm not sure I understand you correctly.

Just because there are a majority of hobbyists who swap out old decoders for new ones, doesn't imply that everyone does or should do that. In my case, there have been times when I have bought a delta locomotive and I have indeed changed the motor and decoder to a higher level, but it is an isolated event, fortunately I have enough locomotives and I can not consider upgrading them all to the latest level of decoders, besides that "The latest is not always the best".

[A lot of people choice a protocol after changed out decoder to newer.]

Yes, of course, the example of the delta locomotive with MM decoder and that when upgrading it to a 5* engine and Lokpilot decoder, I manage it in DCC, my control panel an IntelliBox of 1st generation, is multiprotocol and I can manage a MM locomotive and another DCC, simultaneously, there is no problem.

[My poll vote question are clear about what protocol do you use with digital locomotives.]

The question of your survey is clear, but the possible answers are not, because you should have enabled the option to choose several answers, I, as I have already told you, I can handle and manage, simultaneously, in several protocols, which are DCC and MM, and I preferably choose DCC and when the decoder does not have that possibility MM. This answer DCC and MM is not in your survey or poll and I am sure it is the case for many marklin-users.

[In this case you can only use one protocol to control your locomotive in digital.]

Yes, you only use one protocol to drive a locomotive, but in my layout, I drive several locomotives, each one with its own protocol, simultaneously, in my layout are running, let's say, 11 trains, and some go in DCC and others in MM, simultaneously, each one receives its orders in the protocol that corresponds to it.

Best regards

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 11 July 2022 09:58:06(UTC)
H0

Who says so? Are there statistics? Who defines "better"?
I do not replace 6090x decoders because they have the smoothest acceleration and braking delay I have ever seen.
It is difficult to replace the 6090x decoders in C Sine locos.

Who says so? Are there statistics?
Maybe many two-rail users can live with DCC only because it has been around for a long time.
Three-rail users usually have a mix of MM and mfx or MM and DCC or even use all three.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 12 July 2022 09:17:36(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Who says so? Are there statistics? Who defines "better"?
I do not replace 6090x decoders because they have the smoothest acceleration and braking delay I have ever seen.
It is difficult to replace the 6090x decoders in C Sine locos.

Who says so? Are there statistics?
Maybe many two-rail users can live with DCC only because it has been around for a long time.
Three-rail users usually have a mix of MM and mfx or MM and DCC or even use all three.

Märklin is one of the speech that tells to customer use only one protocol to avoid digital interference by use too many protocols on the same track.
That´s way to changed value before start use trains.
I see lot of videos in the Youtube how big difference it shows and works with severals locomotive decoders in function that are better than Märklins.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 12 July 2022 09:22:47(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: amartinezv Go to Quoted Post

Dear Goofy, I'm not sure I understand you correctly.

[My poll vote question are clear about what protocol do you use with digital locomotives.]

The question of your survey is clear, but the possible answers are not, because you should have enabled the option to choose several answers,

No you have possible by answer or not.

H0
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 12 July 2022 10:14:27(UTC)
H0

Märklin is one of the speech that tells to customer use only one protocol to avoid digital interference by use too many protocols on the same track.
Märklin recommend disabling unused protocol.
AFAIK they do not recommend replacing old decoders.
AFAIK they do not recommend using a single protocol only.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Copenhagen  
#17 Posted : 12 July 2022 11:27:48(UTC)
Copenhagen

That´s way to changed value before start use trains.
I see lot of videos in the Youtube how big difference it shows and works with severals locomotive decoders in function that are better than Märklins.

That is blatantly wrong! Just like some of the things you said in this thread:
https://www.marklin-user...s/t48304-All-loks-moving
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline g-gekko  
#18 Posted : 12 July 2022 12:46:43(UTC)
g-gekko

Norway   
I prefer MFX, but if I need funtionality that is not supported by the MFX protocol, I disable the MFX and MM protocol on the decoder. Usualy this is due to the need for controlling an entire train by consist address or the need to control a separate SUSI decoder that requires DCC commands. The consist address is usually needed to control interior lighting and automatic switchover of the red marker lights on the first and last wagon since they follow the direction of the locomotive.
Offline PMPeter  
#19 Posted : 12 July 2022 15:59:28(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
The whole idea of only having one protocol running on one track system is absurd and would be very limiting. I have new Maerklin locos running on MFX, old Maerklin locos running on MM, and Brawa, Fleischmann and Roco locos running on DCC all at the same time with my CS2 and have no problems.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PMPeter