Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cintrans  
#1 Posted : 17 June 2022 01:52:12(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Hi

I recently bought a whole bunch of used older K-rails from an estate, loads of flex-rails, switches, curves, etc, etc...
I have a question however on the switches.
Most of them have a lantern, but when i opened the switches there are no lamps inside.
What lamp is supposed to be inserted into that socket?
Has anyone atempted to solder LED's inside instead?

switch1.JPGswitch2.JPG

Regards

Jean-Pierre
Offline PMPeter  
#2 Posted : 17 June 2022 16:02:48(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Is the yellow wire still connected to the curved lamp socket? If yes then you can replace the bulb with the Marklin standard bulb or an LED equivalent. I believe the old Marklin replacement bulb is part number 60000. So you can look up the LED equivalent on eBay Germany. It is a direct snap in replacement with no additional resistors, etc. required. I did that for all of my switches before I changed them out to the newer styles.
Offline Rwill  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2022 21:25:31(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
It amuses me to see the picture of an "old" k track turnout. I started Marklin just over 35 years ago and after a simple k track starter set I bought various bits of track second hand including many turnouts as shown controlled firstly through switch boxes then digitally through k83s We then moved on through K track with separate switch motors then onto c track with switch motors and decoders. Lets face it you could write a book about the issues arising from the later switch motors but no one ever moans about the switches as shown above A while ago I was envisaging a lower level to my layout to be used as holding sidings for the layout above. I decided that I would use k track for the lower level as I had plenty and the old style turnouts would be great for under floor reliability. Sorry if I have gone a bit "off track".

Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2022 22:30:05(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Jean-Pierre
Yes this first generation of K Track switches with fixed swich motors had illuminated lanterns (lamp is 60000)
I never had this type of track but M Track. Because of the absence of ventilation, the bulbs were short-lived so it makes a lot of sense to replace them with LEDs lamps
The type is MS4 socket, voltage 18 V full rectifier
On ebay.de you may find some high quality ones (full rectification, LED solidly molded on the MS4 socket.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/38424661...%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMtu_Dta5g
Yes is is a bit expensive but then you never have to replace them and current draw is negligible
Look here and pick the color you wish
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline cintrans  
#5 Posted : 20 June 2022 02:20:34(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Thanks for sharing that information.
We'll try to get our hands on some of those LED's, seems to be the way to go.

I agree, those "build in" older switch motors seem to be a lot beefier then the newer add on's.

Still in the process of sorting, cleaning and testing the switches, uncouplers, etc.... they were removed from a room-sized layout so we are all set on tracks for the foreseeable future! BigGrin

Regards
Jean-Pierre
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cintrans