Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bgemski  
#1 Posted : 01 March 2022 16:00:15(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Kinda of curious since I know I will be upgrading shortly or maybe waiting a bit. With that in mind I would like to pose a question. Not taking into account the chip shortage and logistical issues we all face today; do you think there will be a newer model of the control station coming out? Has there been any rumors or mention of a upgraded control station? I ask because it got me thinking that the system has been out for a few years now. Should I hold off?
Curious on the thoughts of everyone. Thank you for your time and replies in advance.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bgemski
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2022 17:24:55(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
In the last digital webinar, both Curtis and Rick said they weren't aware of any plans from Marklin to replace the CS3's. They did mention that support from Marklin of updates for the CS2 may soon end, as it is rather long in the tooth.
The CS3 is very versatile, and up to par with controllers from competitors. The only thing I would like is a larger screen, however with a web interface and app., you can use a larger tablet, or phone, or even laptop or a pc and monitor.
Some have additional route control software in those other devices, which negate having to hardly use their CS3. Rocrail, etc. for example. The other computers run the layout automating. and the Cs3.
The next advance in layout and train automation might even be virtual, but I don't think I'd like that much. Tangible models, structures, scenery, vehicles, etc. are just more, well, real.
Offline bgemski  
#3 Posted : 01 March 2022 17:37:07(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
marklinist5999
Makes sense and I agree with what you are saying. I just wasn't so sure overall all since I had been out of the hobby so long. I figured if anyone would know it's this forum. When I do pull the trigger on this control station one thing, I was planning on was integrating a pc into the system. In the long run I figured it will make the overall layout more versatile.
Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2022 23:16:35(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
That it will do Brian! The CS3 is also memory expandable with it's integral slot. I got an MS2 first, but the screen is tiny. I don't keep my CS3 connected to the wyfi yet.
It serves my needs, in fact surpasses them. Only 7 turnouts, 2 signals, one simple event thus far.
I chose many structures and roads with vehicles over a large staging yard, so the route is a 4x8 ft. double oval with a station siding track, old German village with gate, court yard, fountain, Swiss village mountain with tunnel, and a 4 ft. double track bridge connecting the second 6-1/2x4 ft. section with a small branch line oval through town and an intermodal yard and steel mill each with a long spur yard track with end bumbers, and a short rolling road siding ramp.
A train traveling at moderate speed takes a minute to travel the route. No digital booster. 2 M83 decoders and one S88 feedback module. I run 3 trains, and a ski lift on the CS3+ with no current or signal fade. It has a built in booster.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2022 01:01:05(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
When I first started to consider upgrading from a CS2 to a CS3 I wondered when a newer version of the CS3 might appear. Over the years there were three different hardware versions of the CS2 after all. But Märklin made significant upgrades to the hardware when the CS3 was introduced and it probably won't be upgraded again for some time. All of the enhancements are currently being done in software and the CS3 has gained a lot of new functionality in the two years that I have owned mine.

The CS2 certainly has been around for a long time and I applaud Märklin for continuing to update its software. At some point Märklin will stop supporting the CS2 but their history with that device makes me think that they are not done with it yet. I guess only time will tell.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline bgemski  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2022 01:17:58(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
That it will do Brian! The CS3 is also memory expandable with it's integral slot. I got an MS2 first, but the screen is tiny. I don't keep my CS3 connected to the wyfi yet.
It serves my needs, in fact surpasses them. Only 7 turnouts, 2 signals, one simple event thus far.
I chose many structures and roads with vehicles over a large staging yard, so the route is a 4x8 ft. double oval with a station siding track, old German village with gate, court yard, fountain, Swiss village mountain with tunnel, and a 4 ft. double track bridge connecting the second 6-1/2x4 ft. section with a small branch line oval through town and an intermodal yard and steel mill each with a long spur yard track with end bumbers, and a short rolling road siding ramp.
A train traveling at moderate speed takes a minute to travel the route. No digital booster. 2 M83 decoders and one S88 feedback module. I run 3 trains, and a ski lift on the CS3+ with no current or signal fade. It has a built in booster.

I like the sound of your lay out! I am currently in the first stage of planning, but I am fortunate that I have a room that's 12 x 13 maybe 14 if I push it. I know that my want is a turn table at the minimum, with a small staging yard. I am figuring a small-town area, but I really need a mid-size station for passenger travel. I won't go to a cs 2 but definitely a cs3 or 3 plus. The cs2 i feel is probably more than capable I would rather invest into more recent technology.
Offline bgemski  
#7 Posted : 02 March 2022 01:22:28(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
When I first started to consider upgrading from a CS2 to a CS3 I wondered when a newer version of the CS3 might appear. Over the years there were three different hardware versions of the CS2 after all. But Märklin made significant upgrades to the hardware when the CS3 was introduced and it probably won't be upgraded again for some time. All of the enhancements are currently being done in software and the CS3 has gained a lot of new functionality in the two years that I have owned mine.

The CS2 certainly has been around for a long time and I applaud Märklin for continuing to update its software. At some point Märklin will stop supporting the CS2 but their history with that device makes me think that they are not done with it yet. I guess only time will tell.

That is also how I was looking at this situation as well. I feel it would be stepping back a little too far. Plus, I am really intrigued with integrating a PC into the layout. Truly the color screen with touch capabilities on the CS3/ 3+ is a huge step forward.

Thanks guys you have put my mind at ease with purchasing the CS3! Now back to the track plan!

Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 02 March 2022 13:44:41(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Thank you Brian! There are some pics and a video reel on I.G. under Marklin 35489 I have difficulty uploading on here. I have one of the bridge before the valley was done.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 02 March 2022 13:55:29(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi BGEMSKI (funny first name!)
Märklin history
CU 6020 introduced in 1985 - MM (Motorola 1) protocol
CU 6021 introduced in 1995 (not sure here)- new MM2 protocol
CS1 (60212) introduced in 2004. MFX protocol, The design made by ESU was terminated early because of a contract dispute with Märklin
CS2 (60213 - 60215) introduced in 2008, until 2016
CS3 (60216 , 60226) introduced in 2016. Replacement caused by unavailability of some components on the CS2 and lack of processing power

So unless there is a big issue, replacement should come around 2024. Märklin are still developing the present CS3 software and probably starting to work on the new CS replacement.
Just my opinion
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline rhfil  
#10 Posted : 02 March 2022 17:12:14(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I think/hope that the architecture of the CS3/+ was created with enough flexibility to allow updates and expansions which will preclude the need to replace it with an entirely new controller.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 02 March 2022 18:16:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
I think/hope that the architecture of the CS3/+ was created with enough flexibility to allow updates and expansions which will preclude the need to replace it with an entirely new controller.

it was designed with a multicore processor (where the cs2 has a single core processor) which is part of the reason it is so much faster than the cs2.

But what will eventually nobble it (and will happen to the cs2 as well) is the amount of 'disk space' it has for software upgrades. I don't know how much free space is available, but that will likely be the archilles heel as more features are programmed into it.

So when they do get to replace the cs3 I would expect a larger 'disk space' using a larger or multiple memory chips as the primary upgrade, a faster multicore processor, and probably a larger screen to allow larger layout diagrams. From this point of view it may also have an HDMI port to attach an external monitor.

I use the term 'disk space' advisedly, as all the cs units (including the cs1) have Linux as an embedded operating system, using semiconductor memory as disk space, in a similar manner to SSD drives on PCs. This will become the major limiting factor in causing the decision to design new hardware.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#12 Posted : 02 March 2022 22:50:07(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I'll probably never have a layout large enough to justify the expense of a CS3/3+, as my MS2 serves my needs just fine. What concerns me is will there ever come a time when previous generations of decoders are no longer recognized, forcing operators to upgrade or simply buy newer loks?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline JohnjeanB  
#13 Posted : 03 March 2022 00:43:18(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: Eurobahnfan Go to Quoted Post
I'll probably never have a layout large enough to justify the expense of a CS3/3+, as my MS2 serves my needs just fine. What concerns me is will there ever come a time when previous generations of decoders are no longer recognized, forcing operators to upgrade or simply buy newer loks?

Hi
This would be totally against Märklin's way of delivering upwards compatibility. I have got all decoder and Central Units, Central Station (6020, 6021, 60212, 60213, 60215, 60226) and no decoder was made incompatible.
There are 2 exceptions I know:
- when Märklin launched a digital version for 2 rails around 1986. This Central Unit was a flop and was abandoned
- when Märklin asked ESU to develop its new CS1 (60212) that ended up in a commercial dispute and a stop in developments (around 2005 I think).

So in short, I don't have any example of a Märklin product being abandoned and made incompatible with future developments:
I can still drive my very first digital locos and accessories from 1985. Same for feed-back modules S88 still connectable to the CS3 using the Link88
Cheers
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline bgemski  
#14 Posted : 03 March 2022 00:53:46(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
I thought I read or heard that the system is Linux based which really makes sense, it’s really built in longevity. Especially as compared to windows based machines. I knew exactly how the term disc spaced was being implied here. I do enjoy the “compatibility with the digital protocols in all the locomotives that is made by Marklin. I did forget about the sd slot to expand the memory on the control station.
This system actually reminds me of the Nikon F mount or bayonet mount system on their cameras. I hadn’t realized the cs3 had been released in 2016, heck when I unpacked all my Marklin my 6021 was still working ok which really surprised me to be honest.
Thank you all for taking the time and not only easing my overthinking mind on this next purchase but educating me some stuff I truly had not known.
Hats off and thank you all for bringing me up to speed.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by bgemski
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#15 Posted : 03 March 2022 05:12:28(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
I'm still able to operate all of my 34XX and 37XX locos as well, so for now, I'm happy. (I've got a separate loop just for my old-school analog loks as well.) I trust Maerklin to look at forward and backward compatibility when it comes to newer control systems (unlike another manufacturer of another scale I'm no longer interested in). I've still got a 6021 just in case ;)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline bgemski  
#16 Posted : 03 March 2022 06:00:22(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
I'm still able to operate all of my 34XX and 37XX locos as well, so for now, I'm happy. (I've got a separate loop just for my old-school analog loks as well.) I trust Maerklin to look at forward and backward compatibility when it comes to newer control systems (unlike another manufacturer of another scale I'm no longer interested in). I've still got a 6021 just in case ;)

We think alike I plan on putting in a small loop for my analog locomotives. Yes I could make them digital however I like to keep things as I have bought them, stock. There maybe one or possible two I may switch over. One other addition I was planning was doing a separate dc loop for a logging loop, small one loco and a few cars. I always liked the Heisler locomotives, plus I have one my father gave me years ago that I would like to see run again in his memory.
Offline Goofy  
#17 Posted : 03 March 2022 06:19:59(UTC)
Goofy

There is pro and con with the CS3. I believe the system are override and are expensive too. The CS3 are more comfort to use for large layout. It depends if you feel good to start use CS3 and to expand your layout the CS3 are good idea to use it.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline marklinist5999  
#18 Posted : 03 March 2022 14:39:19(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
BigGrin BigGrin
Originally Posted by: bgemski Go to Quoted Post

We think alike I plan on putting in a small loop for my analog locomotives. Yes I could make them digital however I like to keep things as I have bought them, stock. There maybe one or possible two I may switch over. One other addition I was planning was doing a separate dc loop for a logging loop, small one loco and a few cars. I always liked the Heisler locomotives, plus I have one my father gave me years ago that I would like to see run again in his memory.

Yes, I have an outside DC analog oval on the 4x8. I bought a few Hammo Locos. and some Roco, wtc. DC models first. I still have an older Marklin transformer in case I want to use it alone, or with my 6021 controller for re-programming or changing the address on Locos. without dip switches that are the older Motorola format decoders
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline bgemski  
#19 Posted : 03 March 2022 15:26:21(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
BigGrin BigGrin

Yes, I have an outside DC analog oval on the 4x8. I bought a few Hammo Locos. and some Roco, wtc. DC models first. I still have an older Marklin transformer in case I want to use it alone, or with my 6021 controller for re-programming or changing the address on Locos. without dip switches that are the older Motorola format decoders

I really liked you Instagram feed and the layout looks great! I am amazed that we are all thinking alike this is so cool! The dc loop/side line came to me as I found my old Heisler 3 truck logging loco mixed in with all my Marklin.
I will most likely keep the 6021 set I have for testing and messing around with later on after I have the main layout set up.
At first, I was going to just go with the CS3 but the more I research and watch youtube videos I have come to the conclusion that the CS3 + is the better way to go. Now I really can't wait to get the ball rolling and finalize my track plan.

Thank you guys!
Offline bgemski  
#20 Posted : 03 March 2022 15:32:15(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi BGEMSKI (funny first name!)
Märklin history
CU 6020 introduced in 1985 - MM (Motorola 1) protocol
CU 6021 introduced in 1995 (not sure here)- new MM2 protocol
CS1 (60212) introduced in 2004. MFX protocol, The design made by ESU was terminated early because of a contract dispute with Märklin
CS2 (60213 - 60215) introduced in 2008, until 2016
CS3 (60216 , 60226) introduced in 2016. Replacement caused by unavailability of some components on the CS2 and lack of processing power

So unless there is a big issue, replacement should come around 2024. Märklin are still developing the present CS3 software and probably starting to work on the new CS replacement.
Just my opinion
Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean,

Thank you for the timeline, I wasn't aware of how everything fell into place. I believe right before the CS 2 came out is when I had to pack everything up do to moving and a huge job change. I always found information like this really interesting and useful to be honest.

Yeah my first name is actually Brian but everyone for some reason over the years shortened it to simply B so it kinda stuck LOL. The last place where I worked at there were 4 Brians! All on one shift and things would get really confusing!
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 03 March 2022 16:22:42(UTC)
H0

So unless there is a big issue, replacement should come around 2024.
Maybe give or take a year or two.
A change may come when Märklin can no longer acquire essential components of the CS3 and have to move on to a different processor type or display type.
Or when Märklin want to implement new features that require more processor power, more memory, or more of other hardware resources.

I think the availability of hardware will make a new generation necessary one day. I don't have a guess of my own, but 2024 sounds reasonable.

Usually Goofy is the first to say that a new Central Station is coming soon. Cool
So it seems the CS3 will remain in the catalogue for a considerable amount of time. Wink
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline petestra  
#22 Posted : 03 March 2022 17:50:39(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hello. I just received and watched the youtube video Re; the new CS3 update 2.4.0. I plugged it all up and no red

check mark to see. Anyone else have this happen too? Peter. Confused
Offline roberts  
#23 Posted : 03 March 2022 18:19:02(UTC)
roberts

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Hello. I just received and watched the youtube video Re; the new CS3 update 2.4.0. I plugged it all up and no red

It says in the comments that only the website download is active at the moment. I guess the direct update from the CS3 will be activated soon.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by roberts
Offline petestra  
#24 Posted : 03 March 2022 18:41:47(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: roberts Go to Quoted Post

It says in the comments that only the website download is active at the moment. I guess the direct update from the CS3 will be activated soon.

Thanks for that news. Cheers! Peter.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#25 Posted : 03 March 2022 19:47:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I thought I read or heard that the system is Linux based

Well, I said it about three posts before yours.

You can open an update file from a Linux machine and probe around the files in it. I forget which file system it is, but I have definitely opened the download for a USB stick.

But the other thing to remember is that the embedded Linux system is just the overall controller and providing the display smarts. It is the conductor keeping all the other bits in line. There is code for other portions of hardware, such as the GFP (Gleis Format Processor, i.e. the booster portion of the cs3 as) and the handler for the s88 system. There are download files for a significant number of peripherals, to update them as needed to correct bugs and add new features.

And as to someones query about getting a the file system, no you cannot, that is well locked down, unless you have a means of cracking the passwords. All the FTP and other network methods of accessing the file system is turned off. All the update operations are initiated by the cs3, you cannot initiate an update over the network connection. If you cannot get at it through the cs3 internal web server it is locked down.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline bgemski  
#26 Posted : 03 March 2022 20:23:04(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I thought I read or heard that the system is Linux based

Well, I said it about three posts before yours.

You can open an update file from a Linux machine and probe around the files in it. I forget which file system it is, but I have definitely opened the download for a USB stick.

But the other thing to remember is that the embedded Linux system is just the overall controller and providing the display smarts. It is the conductor keeping all the other bits in line. There is code for other portions of hardware, such as the GFP (Gleis Format Processor, i.e. the booster portion of the cs3 as) and the handler for the s88 system. There are download files for a significant number of peripherals, to update them as needed to correct bugs and add new features.

And as to someones query about getting a the file system, no you cannot, that is well locked down, unless you have a means of cracking the passwords. All the FTP and other network methods of accessing the file system is turned off. All the update operations are initiated by the cs3, you cannot initiate an update over the network connection. If you cannot get at it through the cs3 internal web server it is locked down.

Yes, sorry I should have noted that you posted that. What I did mean in my statement was I had heard of the cs3 being Linux based beforte I started the conversation
However, I was not 100% sure that my memory was correct.
So, there is no way at all to "hack" the core software system at all? Kinda makes sense in the long run actually.
Offline roberts  
#27 Posted : 03 March 2022 22:06:17(UTC)
roberts

Sweden   

Looks like it’s working now.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by roberts
Offline petestra  
#28 Posted : 03 March 2022 22:09:24(UTC)
petestra

United States   

Looks like it’s working now.

Thanks a lot, Robert. Peter. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Copenhagen  
#29 Posted : 04 March 2022 00:07:05(UTC)
Copenhagen

There is a German speaking video on the update. Some nice, new features.
https://m.youtube.com/wa...amp;feature=emb_imp_woyt
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline bgemski  
#30 Posted : 04 March 2022 01:15:12(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
I will check out the video, gotta love YouTube
Offline bgemski  
#31 Posted : 16 March 2022 02:09:04(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Today I ordered the CS3 Plus from AJCKIDS! I really can’t wait for it to land on my doorstep!
Thank you all for the information. I had better get some finalized track plans down!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bgemski
Offline kiwiAlan  
#32 Posted : 16 March 2022 13:11:40(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Today I ordered the CS3 Plus from AJCKIDS! I really can’t wait for it to land on my doorstep!
Thank you all for the information. I had better get some finalized track plans down!

Unless they have stock be aware that it is likely to take quite some time to arrive due to worldwide component shortages.
Offline petestra  
#33 Posted : 16 March 2022 13:15:06(UTC)
petestra

United States   

Unless they have stock be aware that it is likely to take quite some time to arrive due to worldwide component shortages.

I have been using these great folks for a few years now. Their website shows both CS3s in stock. Enjoy it. Peter. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

PS - when you get it, don't forget to check for updates on it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline bgemski  
#34 Posted : 16 March 2022 14:21:45(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
petestra

Good Morning yes I agree 100 % I have bought from AJC in the past and they are simply the best. No issues ever. Matter of fact I already have the shipped email stating that it should be on my doorstep this Friday. The first thing I will be doing is the updates. I have been reading up on the manual online and watching YouTube videos already to get acquainted beforehand.
Offline marklinist5999  
#35 Posted : 16 March 2022 14:47:30(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Yes, I got my CS3+ from them as well!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline bgemski  
#36 Posted : 17 March 2022 01:37:20(UTC)
bgemski

United States   

Yes they do have stock, that is why I pulled the trigger as soon as I saw that they did. My profession computer integration has taught me that this market for the past two years and into the foreseeable future is restrained. And that is being conservative. See we build custom systems for specific clients, in quantities of hundreds but this market has made it very difficult. At one point we sourced specific ic chips that are in the shortage. Needless to say we got very lucky, yes we paid more however it was worth it in the overall picture. Right now any custom motherboard builds are minimum 6 months to our facility. Some specific models a year wait. Where as before maybe a month at the longest.

Honestly I was very surprised to see that they had stock and the price was very fair considering the situation we are in. That was also the driving force, seeing it, heck buy it, no waiting to decide, in case its missed opportunity. Friday is what the tracking from UPS is saying to my door.
Offline Goofy  
#37 Posted : 17 March 2022 06:30:42(UTC)
Goofy

Both CS3/CS3+ shows in yellow dot and are not in stock.
H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#38 Posted : 17 March 2022 09:37:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

What you talking about, Willis??

The CS3/CS3+ plus may be out of stock at Marklin but we are not talking about Marklin.....

We are talking about AJCKids, a US Marklin dealer....
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline dickinsonj  
#39 Posted : 17 March 2022 13:34:03(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
AJCKids shows both the 60216 and 60226 in stock, regardless of the status in the Märklin store.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline bgemski  
#40 Posted : 17 March 2022 14:30:15(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Yes AJC does have stock still most other online stores don't or listed as backorder. Unfortunately I feel that the current surge of Covid in Asia things will be getting dicey again. Some of the suppliers we deal with are reporting longer and longer wait times for motherboards. In our case, its the TPM chips that's holding up our production of computer motherboards. Of course stoppages and shortages will have a ripple effect across the all industries related to electronics as a whole.
Offline bgemski  
#41 Posted : 18 March 2022 14:19:46(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
One thing that has popped up in watching YouTube videos and reading this thread and others is two more things.

1. Has anyone used the SD slot for memory expansion?
I do have a 32 gb card I will dedicate for use in my unit if needed.

2. Mouse? Keyboard? Stylus Pen, or just plain old human fingers?
I have heard all kinds of varying thoughts on this, what are you guys using? I am currently taking the wait and see approach.
Offline Copenhagen  
#42 Posted : 18 March 2022 14:38:46(UTC)
Copenhagen

I think the CS3 has enough memory to store lots of locomotives and other stuff before needing more memory. But others will probably chime in with more info on this.

Using a USB thumb drive to backup data is a good idea (like when you have created an elaborate track plan).

I use both fingers and a USB mouse. It works great. Some computer mice may not work with the unit and depending on the way you shut down and turn on the CS3 you may have to unplug and replug the mouse to get it to work.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline marklinist5999  
#43 Posted : 18 March 2022 15:06:00(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
It does indeed, with an additional memory card slot as well!
Offline JohnjeanB  
#44 Posted : 18 March 2022 17:01:20(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
One thing that has popped up in watching YouTube videos and reading this thread and others is two more things.

I have heard all kinds of varying thoughts on this, what are you guys using? I am currently taking the wait and see approach.

Hi Brian
I am using a 32 gByte memory with my CS3 and its working fine.
Serves to store previous configurations ("Backups") and also local sound that I can play with events (Church bells, sound of loading coal in tenders, etc).
I prefer the combination 60226+Link86 (60883) as it allows to develop the sensor cables in 3 directions: Bus 1 & 2 with shielded Ethernet cables and Bus 3 with the old flat cable 6088 and 60880
Mouse connection works fine
Keyboard connection not really great as it knows only a German keyboard so the keys are not where you think they are. Besides it is of little use.
Cheers
Jean
Offline Goofy  
#45 Posted : 18 March 2022 18:53:31(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

What you talking about, Willis??

The CS3/CS3+ plus may be out of stock at Marklin but we are not talking about Marklin.....

We are talking about AJCKids, a US Marklin dealer....

Relax Jolie!
I know that.
I am just telling that in the hobby store Märklin CS3 empty fast.
If i think right it will take months before customer can get a new CS3/CS3+.

H0
Offline Copenhagen  
#46 Posted : 18 March 2022 21:18:32(UTC)
Copenhagen

By the way, I hope bgemski also ordered the power supply needed for the CS3, as it's not included in the package.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline bgemski  
#47 Posted : 18 March 2022 22:02:20(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: Copenhagen Go to Quoted Post
By the way, I hope bgemski also ordered the power supply needed for the CS3, as it's not included in the package.

The power supply is orded as well I made sure of that BigGrin
Offline dickinsonj  
#48 Posted : 19 March 2022 00:22:45(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
The power supply is ordered as well I made sure of that BigGrin

And if you hadn't, I bet Guy would have sorted it out.

As he said to me once, I am actually your dealer, not just some eBay seller.

He has proven that every time that I've had a problem. with quality service and very fair shipping prices.
Regards,
Jim

Offline bgemski  
#49 Posted : 19 March 2022 00:27:58(UTC)
bgemski

United States   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
The power supply is ordered as well I made sure of that BigGrin

And if you hadn't, I bet Guy would have sorted it out.

As he said to me once, I am actually your dealer, not just some eBay seller.

He has proven that every time that I've had a problem. with quality service and very fair shipping prices.

That is why I always go back to him, it is always a pleasure to do business with them. I truly enjoy the personal handwritten notes on the receipts. Truly great place to shop!
Offline bgemski  
#50 Posted : 19 March 2022 00:31:18(UTC)
bgemski

United States   

Hi Brian
I am using a 32 gByte memory with my CS3 and its working fine.
Serves to store previous configurations ("Backups") and also local sound that I can play with events (Church bells, sound of loading coal in tenders, etc).
I prefer the combination 60226+Link86 (60883) as it allows to develop the sensor cables in 3 directions: Bus 1 & 2 with shielded Ethernet cables and Bus 3 with the old flat cable 6088 and 60880
Mouse connection works fine
Keyboard connection not really great as it knows only a German keyboard so the keys are not where you think they are. Besides it is of little use.
Cheers
Jean

Excellent information, I thank you Sir. I had heard that about the keyboard. At most I'll use the mouse if needed. The little I used it just now I don't think the mouse may be needed, yet. I did hear that it may actually be easier to use a mouse when doing the track diagram.