Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nyimpe  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2022 20:36:19(UTC)
nyimpe

United States   
Hi everyone. I am new to Märklin and to digital, so please bear with me if I seem completely lost.

I picked up a used 3075 locomotive at a train show. On the box it says "Decoder #74" but I don't think that is possible because the decoder only has four switches. I tried getting my mobile station to locate it using the "manual" function, entering the correct address as I see it on the pins. Yet, the mobile station says "no loco." Just for fun, I also tried the 74 address but that didn't work either.

I'm either doing something wrong or there is a connection problem between the decoder and the track, I assume.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.
Offline ktsolias  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2022 23:05:50(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Hi
Please post a photo of the decoder

Costas
Offline marklinist5999  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2022 15:01:43(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Hello nympie! I am in southeastern Michigan, yourself if I may ask?
Yes, a Kstolias said, a pic will help. If it has dip switches, their on and off settings will tell you the address according to the user manual, or Marklin decoder address chart.
A basic older Delta decoder won't have any, and those were factory set @ address 78. Later delta decoders have 4 dip switches. Marklin digital decoders had 8 up until MFX decoders. Thses are auto-recognition without dip switches.
ESU early Locpilot or Locksound basic decoders, or Uhlenbrock brands were small, direct wired and also no dip switches. Marklin did use these on some models. The previous owner may have installed one.
The address must be changed using a Marklin 6021 controller, ESU controller, or Uhlenbrock Intellibox.
Offline Crazy Harry  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2022 15:47:48(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
The address table for 4 switch decoders can be found at the top of page 2 of this document (it's in German, but should be self explanatory):

Code Tables

For example: To get address 74 only switch 2 should be on. Some others have noted that you may have to move the switches back a forth a few times to clean the contacts before setting the desired address.

Hope this helps. Cheers,

Harold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Crazy Harry
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2022 16:48:24(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by: nyimpe Go to Quoted Post
On the box it says "Decoder #74" but I don't think that is possible because the decoder only has four switches.
Address 74 can be set on decoders with just four switches.

For older decoders it is important to connect "red" to the centre-rail (marked "B" on C track) and "brown" to the outer rail (marked "0" on C track), otherwise older decoders will not function properly.

Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
A basic older Delta decoder won't have any, and those were factory set @ address 78. Later delta decoders have 4 dip switches.
And latest Delta decoder have 8 switches.

Marklin digital decoders had 8 up until MFX decoders.
No, there were programmable fx decoders without DIP switches before mfx came out. Some non-programmable Digital decoders had no DIP switches and address could only be set with a soldering iron.

The address must be changed using a Marklin 6021 controller, ESU controller, or Uhlenbrock Intellibox.
Or with an MS1 or MS2 or Central Station or other compatible controllers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline nyimpe  
#6 Posted : 04 March 2022 23:41:12(UTC)
nyimpe

United States   
Thanks for your replies, everyone. Here is the photo. Switch 2 is on, which I guess is 74. Perhaps I am not programming the Mobile Station properly?

@marklinist5999: yes, I am in Washtenaw Co.

IMG_1363.jpeg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nyimpe
Offline marklinist5999  
#7 Posted : 05 March 2022 16:21:47(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
That's a Delta decoder. I'd try a different address, see if the MS will find it by the dtatbase. If not, try manually changing it to the new one in the MS.
Offline nyimpe  
#8 Posted : 08 March 2022 00:50:57(UTC)
nyimpe

United States   
I tried a couple of other addresses, no luck. Is there a way to tell if the pickup shoe is functioning?
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 08 March 2022 08:05:36(UTC)
H0

Is there a way to tell if the pickup shoe is functioning?
Did you try analogue operation with 16 V AC?
Sometimes decoders are partially defective, only supporting either analogue or digital. Sometimes they are totally defective.
You may have to set all switches to off for an analogue test.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline BenP  
#10 Posted : 08 March 2022 13:55:21(UTC)
BenP

United States   
Thanks for your replies, everyone. Here is the photo. Switch 2 is on, which I guess is 74. Perhaps I am not programming the Mobile Station properly?

@marklinist5999: yes, I am in Washtenaw Co.

IMG_1363.jpeg

Me too in Washtenaw. Not many Marklin people in Michigan.

Check voltage in on decoder (red and brown wires) while train on powered track. Set dips off and on again, as age affects contacts. Set all 4 switches on, which is default address 80 for Delta (all off is analog mode).
Digital M (+ some K) track layout with mostly vintage rolling stock and accessories, and small Z scale layout.
https://youtube.com/play...0kgVYbh0CeDTF-bYXoD_2-V9
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by BenP
Offline marklinist5999  
#11 Posted : 08 March 2022 16:31:02(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Besides the ETE group who had their layout in Plymouth chaired by the Dutch translator guy, I know of Carsten Ramke, I think, whom I recall from the seminar back in 2005 that DR. Tom Catheral did on the Central station one. He poked fun at me, and one other, or unless it was meant as dorogatory.
Also one in Grosee Pointe, myself, and an older guy from the Macomb Gratiot Valley train shows.
I think maybe a man from Cheterfield twp. who used to go to my former dealer's shop, and a former Southfield High school principle, and one other Mike Labakie from Southfield, and an accountant, Ted.
One from Waterford is now deceased, one from out near Port Huron who bought his collection, one named Mark Miller moved to Florida, and one who was a Ryder truck manager I remember, but not his name.
Even former General Motors executive Robert Stempel, who bought Marklin for his son, who became an architect. The shop was close to Lawrence Tech. university.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by marklinist5999
Offline nyimpe  
#12 Posted : 09 March 2022 00:47:35(UTC)
nyimpe

United States   
If I set all dip switches to off, it works as analog. But if I set them all to on, it also works as analog. Do you think I just need a new decoder?
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 09 March 2022 09:54:10(UTC)
H0

If I set all dip switches to off, it works as analog. But if I set them all to on, it also works as analog. Do you think I just need a new decoder?
May yes, maybe no.
The decoder should work in analogue mode with any address setting, assuming it has "automatic system detection", which not all Delta decoders have.
Maybe there is something wrong with one or more of the DIP switches, maybe the decoder no longer works in digital mode.
Difficult to tell from a distance.

Are you able to install a new decoder by yourself?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline nyimpe  
#14 Posted : 11 March 2022 01:42:20(UTC)
nyimpe

United States   
I've never done it but will give it a try.
Offline nyimpe  
#15 Posted : 21 May 2022 21:37:52(UTC)
nyimpe

United States   
It took me a while to get back to this, but I bought and successfully installed a 60906 mfx decoder. Thank you all for your help!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by nyimpe