Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Makistrain  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2022 00:18:50(UTC)
Makistrain

United States   

I am hoping to find out if what I am doing can be made to work.
I have an M-Track layout with four blocks. The feeds come to my analog transformer. What I want to know is can I pull those feeds from the analog transformer and then connect them to the Moble /Station interface?

So far when running digital I set the locomotive down and I get a very erratic response. When I release the stop button, the locos take off like a shot. Other posts have suggested that is a short, but I have no short when I run analog.

Any ideas as to what is going on here? Many thanks for whatever you can share.

PS. Tried to search other posts that might have answers to these questions, but unsuccessful.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Makistrain
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2022 01:06:45(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Do not connect a conventional transformrt to a mobil station. The MS1 needs it's own track connection box. It is not like the MS2 box. The MS2 must use a switched mode power supply. Which Mobil station do you have? You must connect it's box per the instructions only. No double power feed.
Normally, it is an analog Loco. that runs at full speed with no control on a digital layout. You should have no respone at all until releasing the stop button on a digital Loc.
It could be decoder trouble.
Offline Makistrain  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2022 04:38:53(UTC)
Makistrain

United States   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
Do not connect a conventional transformrt to a mobil station. The MS1 needs it's own track connection box. It is not like the MS2 box. The MS2 must use a switched mode power supply. Which Mobil station do you have? You must connect it's box per the instructions only. No double power feed.
Normally, it is an analog Loco. that runs at full speed with no control on a digital layout. You should have no respone at all until releasing the stop button on a digital Loc.
It could be decoder trouble.

Many thanks for your response.
I wasn't clear. I connected the MS1 track connection box to the tracks. No double power feed. The hope is to run analog locos with the conventional transformer, and then take those feeds out of the analog transformer and connect them to the MS box taking the analog transformer totally offline.

I bought a new digital loco 3373. Since it was digital, I thought it might have a decoder. Is that an erroneous assumption?
It runs on analog just fine. tomorrow, I will open it up and take a look.

thanks for your reply
Offline DB Fan  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2022 06:18:33(UTC)
DB Fan

United States   
Hello
It looks like this engine has a delta decoder and is set for analog use. What I know is that delta decoders have dip switches and need to be set in specific positions for a specific digital address(had to do that myself one time).For that you would have to remove the shell and look at the manual that hopefully came with it and set the dip switches for the digital address you would like. Hope this helps and there are a lot of members here that are very helpful if you need more specifics since I’m still somewhat a beginner myself.

Robert
Offline hvc  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2022 11:19:25(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Makistrain Go to Quoted Post

I bought a new digital loco 3373. Since it was digital, I thought it might have a decoder. Is that an erroneous assumption?
It runs on analog just fine. tomorrow, I will open it up and take a look.

Digital means it has a decoder, so you are correct there.

This is a loco from the 90s, and unless it has been upgraded it will indeed have an old-style decoder with DIP switches. These switches allow it to be set either for analogue operation, or to set the digital address of the loco. You pick an address, set the dip switches, and then you have to enter the address into the mobile station in order to control the loco.

Because digital has the track voltage set to maximum at all times, if you place a loco in analogue mode on the track it will just take off at full speed.

For Delta dip switch settings see:

https://www.marklin-user...digital/DIdeltaaddr.html

- Herman

- Herman
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by hvc