Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline daveoZ  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2022 19:24:27(UTC)
daveoZ

United States   
Being new to Marklin Z, I am enjoying this scale very much, except for the track. My question is for those who use Marklin's track, is there an easier way to join the track together. I find that I can join several pieces together, but then have a piece of track that defies my attempts. Can anyone help me out? I am new to the forum and this is my first post.
Offline Mman  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2022 20:13:57(UTC)
Mman

United Kingdom   
If the track has been used before the fishplates may have become distorted or simply bent. They are rather delicate and it is useful to have a packet of spares handy. Once distorted they are not easy to restore.
Assuming the track is new and undamaged then pushing pieces together should obviously be done on a flat surface in a straight line, the rails should then easily engage with with the fishplates on the opposite sides and finally the plastic projections underneath should mate with the opposite receptacles to give some mechanical strength.

If I have a piece of track with damaged fish plates I first try joining it to another rail whilst holding both up and ‘jiggling’ until rail enters fishplate. Then, usually with a pair of small flat nosed pliers, try to mould the fishplate snugly around the rail, if too damaged replace with another fishplate.

I have some Rokuhan track which is more robust but for my purposes doesn’t completely replace the Märklin range - they replicate most special pieces but not the ‘switching’ tracks, which is a deal breaker for me. Rokuhan does, however, include some features and configurations that Märklin doesn’t have, eg being able to connect feeds into any straight piece and the beautiful scissors crossings.

There are some challenges to succesfully running Z gauge more than compensated for by the satisfaction gained when these beautiful pieces are behaving well.

Good luck with your Zs
ChrisG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mman
Offline Toosmall  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2022 21:43:57(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The fish plates are surprisingly durable up to a point considering their size. Then simply replace them. I have spare packets on hand even though I have set up my layout permanently.

The other option is to silver solder the joints to in effect remove any joints, but not really a good idea for points, even though I have never had to replace any points.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Toosmall
Offline Zme  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2022 18:07:11(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello, hope all is well. Happy New Year.

Even when the track is pushed together on a flat surface, I suggest running your finger on the top of the joined track to make certain the two are connected properly. If this is not done as you work thru your layout, you may find out there are some serious “bumps” in your track.

I never fail to get things exactly correct and find out later, one of the rails did not go into the connector and has actually been pushed above it. Maybe the thinner z track twists slightly because everything is smaller.

Take good care

Dwight
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Zme
Offline Toosmall  
#5 Posted : 04 January 2022 03:29:12(UTC)
Toosmall

Australia   
The finger test will highlight future issues.