Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cabinetmakerSC  
#1 Posted : 26 December 2021 02:39:27(UTC)
cabinetmakerSC

United States   
I got the opportunity to pull out my great grandfathers trainset from the 1950's this Christmas. It has been untouched for decades. We have 5 locomotives, a bunch of cars, track and accessories. All in original boxes with instructions. There are even the receipts from when the were purchased in Germany in the 1950's. It's all new to me, but I'm hooked. I set up a track with an inner and outer loop. I had two signals and 4 pieces of contact track, so I set up two locomotives running on each track with blocks. The track is functioning great and we have 3 locomotives that are running well. I am trying to sort out the issues with the other two locos. I have a CCS 800 Crocodile that is running super slow on the track and gets excessively hot. I took the bodies off, looked for obvious issues, and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Next I connected it directly to the controller and it ran like a top. But when I put it on the track it will barely get going. I have cleaned the track and the contact plates on the loco. It run smoothly with barely any wire contact when I run it on its side directly from the controller. And there are other locos that are running well on the track. So why isn't the Crocodile running on the track?
Thanks in advance!
-Michael
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 26 December 2021 03:05:19(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Try cleaning the wheels.
Offline cabinetmakerSC  
#3 Posted : 26 December 2021 12:20:39(UTC)
cabinetmakerSC

United States   
Already cleaned the wheels. I could touch the ground wire to any of the wheels and complete the circuit.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 26 December 2021 13:39:49(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Michael
Welcome to this great forum.
Difficult to provide you with a definitive answer but if the CCS800 stayed in its box since 1960 that you are probably dealing with corroded collector and frozen oil.
This means you probably need to open the loco, clean and oil it.
Here is the exploded view of it:
CCS800.png
The central body can be removed by unscrewing 2 screws underneath.
To remove the side bodies is a little more complicated as you need to remove the lamp holders on each side before removing 2 side screw from underneath each cabinet.
If the loco has not been previously tampered with, then we need to check for Zinkpest (sadly it may happen on very old ones) and for corrosion on the motor's collector.
Once the bodies have been removed, remove the motor brushes and check if the motor is rotating freely. Don't try to rotate it through the wheels as there are worm gears.
With hear buds and a small brush dipped in lighter fluid clean gently the mechanism.
With another hear bud with most of cotton removed and dipped in lighter fluid, clean the inside of the brush holders.
Then add a little oil (Märklin oil or car motor oil) on axles and worm gears.
Then put back the brushes and connect the loco to a Märklin transformer and let the loco run for some time while checking nothing gets too hot. This will clean and restore the surfaces of the loco.

This is a wonderful loco, here is mine

Cheers
Jean
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 27 December 2021 05:30:37(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
If its old enough, you could have warpage in the frame or gearbox that is causing trouble when placed under a load/aka on the track?

The old crocodiles can be a real pain, I'd try to diagnose before any chassis/motor disassembly, otherwise you might find yourself with a new problem when putting it together.

In any case, you are asking the right forum! Maybe post a few images or a video, I'm sure someone here can help. I'm glad to hear the old trains are out and running!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline analogmike  
#6 Posted : 28 December 2021 01:49:37(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Sounds to me like something changes when the lok is turned uprite vertical. You state that it runs good on it's side. Perhaps something is binding when it's on the track. The old ccs has many moving parts. If it's overheating it sounds like it wants to run but something is holding it back. Be patient. Don't start ripping it apart.
Good luck
Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .