Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline revmox  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2021 13:35:39(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
After having some issues with Marklin couplings being a real pain and also having some ROCO rolling stock I took the overall forum guidance and decided to go with ROCO universal couplers everywhere I could.

I then found out that Marklin startup rolling stock doesn't have NEM pockets to make the coupling changeover easy/possible. (Those Marklin starter sets - I've got some questions and I'll go there later).

It seems this is a very old topic but I went around and around in many circles on the web and in forums - the end result was that you're in Australia and in a world COVID crisis - there's no hope of a solution arriving any time soon unless you make one.

So I've made a 3D printed NEM shaft for some startup rolling stock to allow a ROCO universal coupler to be fitted to those carriages. These are prototypes, they're up and going but certainly could use refinement. I'm a novice at both 3D printing and Marklin so there is absolutely no limit to how wrong these can be. Also, if I knew what I was doing with 3D printing then the end result could be whole lot prettier.

So, here's some pictures with links to the 3D printer files to follow ...

Tech Notes - PLA 200/60 degrees, the mounting hole may need drilling out if your 3D printer isn't precise - 2.4 mm or 3/32 drill. 4 wheel rolling stock can use the basic adapter but bogie style startup rolling stock need the bogie version - the mounting post on the 4 wheel rolling stock is a 2 mm fit but bogies are a 2.15 mm fit according to the dozen or so startup bits I have on hand.

EDIT - 3D objects should now be available online via the drawing package I use called TinkerCAD, object names are Marklin Startup NEM and Marklin Startup NEM Bogie. What could be improved is the exact size and taper of the circular mounting hole and the spring loaded centering effect of the "whiskers".

Design.jpgCoupler 1.jpgCoupler 3.jpgCoupler 2.jpg

Edited by user 13 August 2021 23:09:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by revmox
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2021 14:04:38(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
great! I have been planning something similar myself!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline rhfil  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2021 15:06:39(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
That is an amazing job. I have a Rivarossi 0389 Wegmann Henschel which has a really weird coupling setup and came missing most of its couplers. Have been unable to locate anything that will work with them. What software did you use to create the couplings? I tried using a free software but it was just too inaccurate to work.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2021 16:28:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: revmox Go to Quoted Post

So, here's some pictures with links to the 3D printer files to follow ...

Excellent, I look forward to seeing the files. Would also appreciate knowing what software you use fro drawing as well.

Offline pederbc  
#5 Posted : 13 August 2021 16:49:54(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

This one from Märklin looks similar.
D9860A8D-D498-4EDB-A3E6-89C78DF2FFA7.jpeg

Märklin parts number: 323679

Peder
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pederbc
Offline revmox  
#6 Posted : 13 August 2021 23:27:07(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Originally Posted by: pederbc Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

This one from Märklin looks similar.
D9860A8D-D498-4EDB-A3E6-89C78DF2FFA7.jpeg

Märklin parts number: 323679

Peder

Thanks Peder, I found a few items on line that looked like they would work but nothing available locally.

The cost and delay to get little things to Australia, particularly during COVID, as well as not being 100% certain it is the correct item, drives me (us?) to try some weird workarounds.

Right now I want 21 C-track point motors to complete the track on my layout - it will probably be months before I have them all. Very frustrating.

Offline pederbc  
#7 Posted : 13 August 2021 23:42:09(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

They’re asking 35 SEK (about €3.50) a piece where I have purchased them a while back. I’m impressed about your 3D prints. If you make the STL file available I would like make a try. I have some more waggons to convert…

Thanks, Peder
Offline revmox  
#8 Posted : 13 August 2021 23:55:15(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Hi,

They’re asking 35 SEK (about €3.50) a piece where I have purchased them a while back. I’m impressed about your 3D prints. If you make the STL file available I would like make a try. I have some more waggons to convert…

Thanks, Peder

I don't think can I upload STL files to this forum, I don't see them in the supported file list. Happy if someone can tell how it could be done. The original 3D object can be found via the edit in my original post and TinkerCAD then allows you to export it in a couple of formats including STL.

Cheers.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 14 August 2021 00:01:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi,

Thanks, Peder

I don't think can I upload STL files to this forum, I don't see them in the supported file list. Happy if someone can tell how it could be done. The original 3D object can be found via the edit in my original post and TinkerCAD then allows you to export it in a couple of formats including STL.

Cheers.

Put the files into a ZIP file and post that.
Offline revmox  
#10 Posted : 14 August 2021 00:49:54(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Thanks kiwiAlan, hopefully these do the job.

Marklin Startup NEM Bogie.zip (7kb) downloaded 30 time(s). Marklin Startup NEM.zip (7kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by revmox
Offline DaleSchultz  
#11 Posted : 14 August 2021 03:10:00(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
TinkerCAD is amazing, but I have moved onto OpenSCAD - much more flexible and powerful.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline revmox  
#12 Posted : 14 August 2021 03:28:56(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
TinkerCAD is amazing, but I have moved onto OpenSCAD - much more flexible and powerful.

Thanks Dale. TinkerCAD is OK for simple things made of blocks but any curves or bends are a real effort. I have been thinking about moving to something more capable so I will check openSCAD out. Thanks again.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 14 August 2021 14:02:18(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks kiwiAlan, hopefully these do the job.

Marklin Startup NEM Bogie.zip (7kb) downloaded 30 time(s). Marklin Startup NEM.zip (7kb) downloaded 19 time(s).

Great, thanks for those. I'll see if one of the guys at club can print them for me.

Offline revmox  
#14 Posted : 16 August 2021 07:26:03(UTC)
revmox

Australia   
A little fine tuning after making a few. Very small adjustments to the round mounting hole and spring "whiskers". Some slots were added to the NEM socket to force the slicer software to patch across the hole during printing in a neater fashion. The slots are too thin to print correctly but it fools the slicer well enough. Also changed the 3D object to print 4 couplers at a time. Remember to finish drill the mounting hole to 2.4mm. Updated STL files hopefully attached.

Marklin Startup NEM Bogie v2.zip (30kb) downloaded 19 time(s). Marklin Startup NEM v2.zip (31kb) downloaded 19 time(s).NEM Design 2.jpg

Having done all the start up stuff that left 4 dodgy Primex coaches to do. They have been joined into a permanent consist linked by 0.8 mm brass strip painted black and sized so that buffers just touch on R1 curves. Then NEM sockets were produced for the outer ends of the consist. Hole to be finish drilled to 4mm. The support bar needs to be cut from the coach. When fitting the new coupling tighten the screw to remove as much slack as possible without stopping the new coupling moving from side to side freely.

Marklin Primex NEM v2.zip (17kb) downloaded 14 time(s).

Primex NEM 1a.jpgPrimex NEM 1.jpgPrimex NEM 2.jpgPrimex NEM 3.jpgPrimex NEM 4.jpgPrimex NEM 5.jpgPrimex NEM 6.jpg

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by revmox