Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timnomads  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2021 10:07:53(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

After taking advice from the group I have now bought a SBB 421 CARGO 37340 BigGrin , I decided to use it in a combination with my SBB 620 CARGO 37327 to make A 10/10 . So I created the MU on my CS3. Chaos, the locomotives did not go the same direction or one did not go and the other did.

maerklin-sbb-cargo-re-421-378.O4W_eXzJNt7F23_xE5kdHw.AIK.B.jpgmaerklin-sbb-re-620-011-7-cargo-rueti-neuheit.hWmTVbSZM-LN_JGK0mI-1g.AIK.B.jpg

I have a linked CS2. The MU was passed to the CS2 on setup, and I tried using the MU on that. Worked perfectly.

I have done something wrong on the CS3? Does anybody have an explanation ? Is this a general problem ?

Confused

Tim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 10 May 2021 12:27:33(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
This is tricky. Even the Marklin dudes had a tough time setting up a n mu on one CS3. I'd try it again. Can you save your setting on your CS2? Can you send it back to the CS3?
Did you enter one loco. With both on the track? Are you supposed to? I watched the webinar, but don't recall.
They did match speed settings for both, and it worked.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 10 May 2021 15:17:22(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Of course I may be wrong but I think the key is to adjust both locos with same speed acceleration and braking.

This must be done on a loop, using the traction commands , having both locos at a distance and checking if both speeds and acceleration are similar.
Adjusting on one of the locos for a good result then it is finished.

You may couple both locos.

Avoid using stop sections (one loco is still powered when the other is not. Better use a manual control of traction or use Rocrail or similar PC control for block systems
Cheers
Jean
Offline Timnomads  
#4 Posted : 10 May 2021 15:55:13(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi
Of course I may be wrong but I think the key is to adjust both locos with same speed acceleration and braking.

This must be done on a loop, using the traction commands , having both locos at a distance and checking if both speeds and acceleration are similar.
Adjusting on one of the locos for a good result then it is finished.

You may couple both locos.

Avoid using stop sections (one loco is still powered when the other is not. Better use a manual control of traction or use Rocrail or similar PC control for block systems
Cheers
Jean

Hi Jean

Speed and acceleration is not the problem, This was done, but when the MU was assembled and the command to move was given to the MU, directions were different, or one loco trys to go while the other stays still etc.

Tim
Offline rbw993  
#5 Posted : 10 May 2021 16:07:01(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Tim,
I have lots of MU's set up on my CS2 and CS3and they all run fine. I do have one set in which I had to manually lift the loco off the track and turn it around. It has been working fine ever since. Maybe try that. There is also a way to change default start direction in the loco's CV's but I never bothered.

Regards,
Roger
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2021 03:54:05(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
ASSUMPTIONS:
a) The decoder is direction aware (e.g. not a c80)
b) The motor direction matches the direction as seen on the controller (i.e. green and blue wires round the correct way)

There are two aspects to the wrong direction scenario

1)
the MU, records the direction of a locomotive AT THE TIME IT IS ADDED.
So you must be aware of this for EACH loco as you add it

This is a feature (to permit locos to operate in different directions) that was NOT originally available with the MU'ing on the CS2 or CS3
It now allows you , for example, set up 2 F7's back to back.

Ref CS3 release notes for v2.1.0
Extension of traction by the direction of the locomotive
The direction of travel of a locomotive is taken into account when assembling a traction and sent accordingly when controlling. It is now possible to have locomotives with forward and backward direction of travel in a traction.

2)
At "start of day" if you had been driving one loco manually - e.g. backing it into position "yesterday".
The CS MU may not wake up until
a) each loco has been recognised as on the track (mFX)
b) a MU direction change sent.
Peter
Offline Timnomads  
#7 Posted : 12 May 2021 10:18:07(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

Yesterday I had the time to put into actions your recommendations.

I carefully set up my MU as per the recommendations, being conscious of directions etc .

ON the CS3 I started the MU and all was well. I then changed direction and only one loco changed direction, changed direction a second time and both moved in the same direction.
needless to say the MU on the CS2 worked perfectly.

TimConfused
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads
Offline marklinist5999  
#8 Posted : 12 May 2021 12:27:40(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Strange, almost as if CS3 1 is slave after CS2.
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 13 May 2021 00:34:23(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Can you state for the record the version of the CS3
And maybe you need to confirm in more detail which buttons you are pressing.

Are you using the CS3 itself, or the CS2/MS as a throttle?

I have noticed that the CS3Remote fails to change the direction of any "reversed" loco in a MU.
To me this indicates that a Slave throttle needs to understand the MU setup and issue commands to the GFP for each loko in the MU. i.e. it does not send a command for the MU itself to the CS3 expecting the CS3 to do the legwork.
Peter
Offline Timnomads  
#10 Posted : 17 May 2021 11:09:24(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

Over the weekend I upgraded the software on my CS2 and CS3 to Marklins latest effort - problem resolved BigGrin , I just have to adjust the speed/acceleration of the locos so they are identical Confused .

Tim
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Timnomads