Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Puttputtmaru  
#1 Posted : 18 March 2021 20:42:14(UTC)
Puttputtmaru

Canada   
Planning ahead for my new layout.

I am not sure how big it will end up being since I have a big room but starting small and planning to add.

1) If I go with 22 AWG for feeder wires and 12 AWG for wire bus am I ok for a while?

2) What king of scotchlok connectors, or alike, that will fit my wire choice are you using?

3) Any other advice on wiring is welcome too.

Thanks
Offline marklinist5999  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2021 20:53:04(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I am using 18 or 20 gauge silicone wire mostly. It is most flexible. You can use 16 for the main power supply to the layout from the transformers or swirched mode power supplies.
I think thats what comes withh the Marklin CS3 pigtail track connectors. Decoders, lights, and solenoid accessories do not need that thickness. Rule of thumb: The longer the wire length, the thicker the wire needed.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 18 March 2021 23:47:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Puttputtmaru Go to Quoted Post
Planning ahead for my new layout.

I am not sure how big it will end up being since I have a big room but starting small and planning to add.

1) If I go with 22 AWG for feeder wires and 12 AWG for wire bus am I ok for a while?

2) What king of scotchlok connectors, or alike, that will fit my wire choice are you using?

3) Any other advice on wiring is welcome too.

Thanks

That will be more than adequate you will find, unless you have extremely heavy current loads.

In fact I would work on 16AWG for the bus wire, as being plenty heavy enough.

Offline perz  
#4 Posted : 18 March 2021 23:56:10(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
1. Yes. AWG 22 is rated for 5 A. AWG 12 is rated for 34 A. That is a lot of current. The voltage drop due to wire resistance will also be negligible with those wire gauges. If you were to use AWG 22 throughout, you would perhaps notice some voltage drop due to the resistance, but with AWG 12 as a bus wire there is no risk at all.

Don't know answers for 2. and 3.

Regards
Per
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2021 02:31:00(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
For bus wires: let the availability of the wire on rolls at your local building supply store determine the precise gauge you use for bus wires.
Copper wire is expensive and you probably need at least three colors. So look at what rolls bigger than 20 AWG are available in the overestimated length you need. You may find house wiring the most economical. 12AWG turnout to be most economical for me.

Similarly, look at the Skotchlock connecters that are available in bulk and buy wires that are within the range of sizes they can handle.

I use 3M Scotchlock Self-Stripping Electrical Tap Connectors 905

Then the hookup wires, again look at what you can get locally and also online. For every meter of K-track I lay, I use at least 50cm of brown, 25cm red and 25cm of some other color for s88 sensors.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DaleSchultz