Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklinist5999  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2021 18:50:38(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
The Digital webinar Wednesday covered how to do this when there is no current paint scheme in the icon dtatbase for a certain model i.e., the 37473 SBB 421.
I am not good at this, but they explained how. You take a photo with your phone or tablet, etc. You can crop and trim it to within a less than 400 megapixel file. Depends on the software on your device. With most you can roate, center, set all axles onto the rails, or with some show a canted side and front view.
A larger file uses too much menmory in the CS3. I think they said optimal is 376 in length by 147 in heigth.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2021 21:16:44(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
The Digital webinar Wednesday covered how to do this when there is no current paint scheme in the icon dtatbase for a certain model i.e., the 37473 SBB 421.
I am not good at this, but they explained how. You take a photo with your phone or tablet, etc. You can crop and trim it to within a less than 400 megapixel file. Depends on the software on your device. With most you can roate, center, set all axles onto the rails, or with some show a canted side and front view.
A larger file uses too much menmory in the CS3. I think they said optimal is 376 in length by 147 in heigth.

What webinar\/ do you have a link?
Offline MarcelV  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2021 21:45:30(UTC)
MarcelV

United States   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

Marklin US has a monthly webinar about all facets of the CS3. Here is the link to this particular one:

Offline marklinist5999  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2021 22:01:53(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
ThumpUp
Originally Posted by: MarcelV Go to Quoted Post

Marklin US has a monthly webinar about all facets of the CS3. Here is the link to this particular one:

That's it! I never use a link. Just use a Google youtube search. The recent one comes right up. They have them second Wednesday of the month.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2021 22:03:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Ah, thanks guys. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline JohnjeanB  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2021 23:24:52(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: marklinist5999 Go to Quoted Post
A larger file uses too much memory in the CS3. I think they said optimal is 376 in length by 147 in height.

There is a simple way to process loco pictures (side view) and transform them into icons.
I suggest to use a freeware called paint.net and a photo of the loco wuth a solid colour back ground
You frame the picture to contain only the loco itself (top left symbol) then CTRL/c to copy the image inside the frame
Then CTRL/n to start a new empty picture and CTRL/v to copy the loco image
Paint2.png (1,129kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
The Magic wand allows to select the background and erase it
Then image / resize allows to create a suitable icon (height to 32 to 49 for a CS2 and 100 for a CS3

Note: when uploading a picture from your PC, your web browser and the IP address of your CS3, before the transfer to be finalized you may down size the picture so that no CS3 memory is wasted. You may store your pictures on a SD memory card (32GB) plugged into the CS3
Cheers
Jean

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline rhfil  
#7 Posted : 13 March 2021 16:21:09(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I discovered the image downloading and editing feature when I had some non-Marklin locos without the proper pictures that I wanted to add to my CS3+ and a Marklin loco whose picture was not in the library. After being directed and downloading the software I played around with it and found it to be very user friendly and functional. I was online for the Markin US zoom presentation as they often add hints and secrets I missed. It was a great presentation as most of theirs are.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Ausipeet  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2021 05:10:10(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
If you would like then go to ESU website and join up for free and then look at their data base of loco images.they are ready to download and then upload to your CS3 or eCoS in the right format and the right size. their data base for these images grows every day as ppl add their images for sharing with other users.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ausipeet
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 14 March 2021 12:04:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   

Since I'm publishing the links for all the webinars in our Club magazine this month I thought I'd also post them here. Note that there is no webinar #1.

Märklin Digital Club Webinar 2020 #2, Adding Locomotives into your Central Station 3/3+.

Märklin Digital Club Webinar #3, Adding Articles to the Central Station 3

Märklin Digital Club Webinar #4 - S88s & Feedback Sensors

Märklin Digital Club Webinar #5 - M83 & M84

Märklin Digital Club Webinar #6 - Building track diagram control boards in the CS3

Märklin Digital Club Webinar #7 - How to do Basic Events in the CS3

Märklin Digital Club Webinar #8 - Advanced Events in the Central Station 3

Märklin Digital Club Webinar #9 - Märklin's mDecoder Programming Tool

Märklin Digital Club Webinar #10 - Importing custom icons into the Central Station3/3+

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline bph  
#10 Posted : 14 March 2021 12:49:01(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post

Note: when uploading a picture from your PC, your web browser and the IP address of your CS3, before the transfer to be finalized you may down size the picture so that no CS3 memory is wasted.
Cheers
Jean

As you say the Paint.NET software is an excellent program, and my favorite for years, for simple tasks.
With the "magic wand" tool it's very easy to make a transparent background, if an image has a white background.
The tip here is to save the image as a *.PNG file for transparent background.

When transferred to the CS3 with the browser, there is really no need to downsize in advance. The CS3 will downsize and crop it correctly. (it will convert JPG to PNG also)
doing it that way will create files in approx size of 60-80KB, and manny mäklin original files is 20-30KB. But note that if the file is a 8 bit PNG the cs3 converts it to 32bit again and the size increases.

Here are two examples where the CS3 has done the cropping and downsizing. the images are downloaded from the CS3 to the pc again. (background made transparent in Paint.net in under 10 seconds) The 39480 file was originally 1500x1069 and 769KB, when transferred, and the CS3 reduced it to 384x143 and 60KB
39480_t_cs3.png
SBB_421_cs3.png
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by bph
Offline owidgie  
#11 Posted : 16 March 2021 23:39:14(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
Image size for the CS3 icons is 384 x 144 pixels.

Rick
Offline bph  
#12 Posted : 17 March 2021 12:09:11(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: owidgie Go to Quoted Post
Image size for the CS3 icons is 384 x 144 pixels.

Rick

The CS3 makes 384x143 when it's transferred through the web browser as described above. And that was my point.

You're right that the cs3 supports 384x144. But the height can also be lower, in fact, several original Marklin icons are lower. eg the BadStB IVh 1010 is "only" 384x84
And you can also have more narrow ones at 144 high. eg some originals are around 300x144.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline marklinist5999  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2021 13:06:07(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
I created an ESU account. It was approved and finallized. I tried to log in last night at 6 p.m. EDT USA and it said my password was incorrect. I wrote it down so it wasn't.