Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Schnickie  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2021 12:32:58(UTC)
Schnickie

United Kingdom   
Hello,

I have a Blue 'Marklin Super 208' transformer (analogue) and it has stopped working. I was wondering if there were any more modern transformers available that work for analogue trains, track etc. ???

Also , If possible , a transformer with direction change would be ideal for getting trains into the loco shed.

Anyway, let me know if you are aware of any more modern alternatives for analogue transformer - with direction change or not!

Thanks BigGrin

Please do not use blue text for comments as moderators use blue text for important comments that need to be put in the forum

Edited by moderator 19 February 2021 21:51:29(UTC)  | Reason: Removed blue text formatting - blue text is used by moderators for moderator comments.

Offline marklin81  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2021 13:21:55(UTC)
marklin81

United States   
Marklin 6647 is the latest analog 230 Volt transformer.
Offline Schnickie  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2021 13:27:24(UTC)
Schnickie

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: marklin81 Go to Quoted Post

Thanks. Does this have direction change?
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2021 14:03:08(UTC)
H0

You missed 66470 and 66471. The latter is still available at the factory.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Michael4  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2021 14:37:47(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
No connection with vendor or anything

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i...a092a:g:-WEAAOSwMDJgKAuV
Offline rrf  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2021 15:26:10(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Originally Posted by: Schnickie Go to Quoted Post

Thanks. Does this have direction change?

Yes, all Märklin transformers for HO support traditional direction change by turning the velocity knob to the left, passed zero.

Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rrf
Offline Schnickie  
#7 Posted : 18 February 2021 10:59:59(UTC)
Schnickie

United Kingdom   
Hello, I have a Märklin HO train set (analogue) and the three transformers have stopped working. Does anyone know any universal transformers that are compatible that are cheaper to an the more modern märklin transformer which is £110 ?!?!?!

Thanks
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 18 February 2021 13:25:48(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hello, I have a Märklin HO train set (analogue) and the three transformers have stopped working. Does anyone know any universal transformers that are compatible that are cheaper to an the more modern märklin transformer which is £110 ?!?!?!

Thanks

In this case keep it away from children and don't use them or try to fix them, look on ebay.de and see if you find any more recent transformers, it is against the law to sell old Märklin transformers in Germany because of their safety risks

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 18 February 2021 13:32:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
[...] it is against the law to sell old Märklin transformers in Germany because of their safety risks
Which law?
I never heard that before.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 18 February 2021 17:10:56(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

the three transformers have stopped working

All three at the same time???

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#11 Posted : 18 February 2021 17:17:20(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

Per.

TS mean 3 rail transformer.
The Three transformer is a nickname for the transformer for the three rail.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 18 February 2021 17:19:44(UTC)
Goofy

Thanks

I recommended you stay with Märklin transformer if you drive Märklin analog locomotives.
If not less you decides to digital which are more fun to play.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Michael4  
#13 Posted : 18 February 2021 17:31:00(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
I think this is your second post on this topic?

Currently ten quid, OK so not guaranteed...
Offline Purellum  
#14 Posted : 18 February 2021 18:53:12(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

That's new to me, and Schnickie wrote "the three transformers" which suggests more than one........... BigGrin

Per.

Cool

/* Okay children, settle down. We can agree that there is at least one analogue transformer that has failed. Let's help this guy to find at least one transformer at a reasonable price.. */

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Purellum  
#15 Posted : 18 February 2021 23:28:37(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Okay children, settle down. We can agree that there is at least one analogue transformer that has failed. Let's help this guy to find at least one transformer at a reasonable price..

Well, I honestly thought we were talking about three transformers, apparently failing at the same time, hence my question.

If that was the case, I suspected something else to be the problem, and thus not needing a new transformer.

I have several 6647s; but shipping to UK after Brexit involves custom charges etc.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 18 February 2021 23:47:10(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Well, I honestly thought we were talking about three transformers, apparently failing at the same time, hence my question.

As did I when I read this thread. Goofy's 'T3' comment was confusing (never heard that particular term in this part of the world before) and didn't really add anything to the answer to the OP's question.

As has been mentioned, a 6647 transformer is probably your best bet for a replacement. eBay may be a source or perhaps any local Marklin Clubs (if they exist in the UK) or second hand source.

As a point of interest, what type were the transformers that failed? They could be repairable but this needs to be done by a registered electrician who knows how to properly service them.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
H0
Offline Martti Mäntylä  
#17 Posted : 19 February 2021 00:00:04(UTC)
Martti Mäntylä

Finland   
I see often offers on 6647 transformers in Catawiki, for instance this is a currently ongoing auction of two units. If you need several, this may be a good option, provided that Brexit is not a showstopper.
- Martti M.
Era III analog & digital (Rocrail, CAN Digital Bahn, Gleisbox/MS2, K83/K84), C & M tracks, some Spur 1
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martti Mäntylä
Offline cookee_nz  
#18 Posted : 19 February 2021 01:41:13(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
I think this is your second post on this topic?

Currently ten quid, OK so not guaranteed...

Yes, the previous posting was much more specific...

"I have a Blue 'Marklin Super 208' transformer (analogue) and it has stopped working. I was wondering if there were any more modern transformers available that work for analogue trains, track etc. ???"

But he's a new member probably still finding his way around the forum and we're a helpful gracious lot here BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 19 February 2021 02:49:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I shall merge both threads then!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Schnickie  
#20 Posted : 19 February 2021 08:19:25(UTC)
Schnickie

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Martti Mäntylä Go to Quoted Post
I see often offers on 6647 transformers in Catawiki, for instance this is a currently ongoing auction of two units. If you need several, this may be a good option, provided that Brexit is not a showstopper.

Thanks I’ll have a look
Offline Schnickie  
#21 Posted : 19 February 2021 09:25:39(UTC)
Schnickie

United Kingdom   
Cool

Okay children, settle down. We can agree that there is at least one analogue transformer that has failed. Let's help this guy to find at least one transformer at a reasonable price..

If that was the case, I suspected something else to be the problem, and thus not needing a new transformer.

I have several 6647s; but shipping to UK after Brexit involves custom charges etc.

Per.

Cool

How much do you charge for 1 white trabsformer - including postage to the uk?? Also where would pickup be ??

Offline Rwill  
#22 Posted : 19 February 2021 10:22:01(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I am totally perplexed at the myths that are developing about post Brexit Marklin.

Firstly agreed the transformer 66471 falls into the yellow dot category with both Gaugemaster and MSL. Its out of stock at both!

So you can preorder from GM at £105 plus £2.5 delivery. If it fails like the last three GM will suggest you sent it back to Germany to repair under warranty at your cost. They have never heard of the Sale of Goods Act 1896 and the only electronics they understand is the cash register.

So hook onto the likes of MSL or others A 66471 is showing (with the easy to join customer club) at 89 Euros. MSL will take of the German Vat and charge your PayPal 86 Euros including DHL delivery which equate to about £77. DElivery is pretty good and so far for small amounts English Vat is not being added but that could change. If you do have problems MSL are brilliant and their English is as good as mine
Offline Purellum  
#23 Posted : 19 February 2021 14:10:20(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

How much do you charge for 1 white trabsformer - including postage to the uk??

The trafo would be 30£ and the postage the same, so we are talking 60£ without import charges................. Crying

You should bid 40 - 50 £ on this one instead, that would be much cheaper - you might get it for 20 or 30£:

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Michael4  
#24 Posted : 19 February 2021 15:54:29(UTC)
Michael4

United Kingdom   
...which is the same one that I've mentioned before.

They seem to sell for around £25 in the UK, some as new in boxes.
Offline Purellum  
#25 Posted : 19 February 2021 18:28:29(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Michael4 Go to Quoted Post
...which is the same one that I've mentioned before.

Yes, I can see that on the last letters in your link; but for some strange reason I get to an Ebay error page when I try to click on it Cool

I tested and tried several times before I posted my link to the same transformer, and I don't know why; but my link works Blink

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Mr. Ron  
#26 Posted : 19 February 2021 19:52:33(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
It would seem to me that any transformer that can provide 0-18V, can be used. Why does it have to be Marklin? You could use a Lionel, LGB, etc transformer.
Offline Schnickie  
#27 Posted : 19 February 2021 20:32:02(UTC)
Schnickie

United Kingdom   
Cool

Per.

Cool

Yes that’s what happened . One started smoking then a few days later the other 2 totally conked out !!!

Offline rbw993  
#28 Posted : 19 February 2021 20:47:14(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Mr Ron. Those other transformers won't trigger the reversing switch. The lok will only got in one direction.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#29 Posted : 19 February 2021 21:31:52(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
There is this transformer on eBay.uk at the moment that would be entirely suitable for what you want. Price is currently sensible and not too far from you so you probably pick it up.

Offline Schnickie  
#30 Posted : 20 February 2021 08:47:49(UTC)
Schnickie

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
There is this transformer on eBay.uk at the moment that would be entirely suitable for what you want. Price is currently sensible and not too far from you so you probably pick it up.

Thanks and I’ll take a look at that !

There's that blue text you're using again (which I've removed from the above quote)! Once again please do not use it ever - it is reserved for moderator use only and last time I looked you aint a moderator! Sorry to be so blunt, but you ignored my previous comment about this!
Offline Mr. Ron  
#31 Posted : 20 February 2021 20:45:26(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Mr Ron. Those other transformers won't trigger the reversing switch. The lok will only got in one direction.
Yes, I'm aware of the reversing issue. I have in the past wired up a momentary contact switch which enables reversing.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron
Offline BrodVictor  
#32 Posted : 26 April 2021 10:16:27(UTC)
BrodVictor

United States   
Hi.... As I review, Marklin utilizes a higher voltage beat (around 20v?) to enact the converse unit. Lionel utilizes power interference to actuate the E-units. So Marklin trains will not have the option to adjust course utilizing a Lionel transformer.

pcb fabrication and assembly

Edited by user 28 May 2021 23:46:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline H0  
#33 Posted : 26 April 2021 10:40:40(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted by: BrodVictor Go to Quoted Post
As I review, Marklin utilizes a higher voltage beat (around 20v?) to enact the converse unit.
The nominal reversing voltage is 24 V on many transformers, 23 V on some.

With a bridge rectifier and a buffering capacitor you can get 22 V DC from 16 V AC. So maybe reversing the direction is possible with just a few extra components. AFAIK the Märklin 6600 uses the same trick.
So reversing cannot be done with a Lionel transformer "out of the box", but this can be added. This may not work with some digital locomotives.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Schnickie  
#34 Posted : 26 April 2021 20:45:58(UTC)
Schnickie

United Kingdom   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

That's new to me, and Schnickie wrote "the three transformers" which suggests more than one........... BigGrin

Per.

Cool

/* Okay children, settle down. We can agree that there is at least one analogue transformer that has failed. Let's help this guy to find at least one transformer at a reasonable price.. */

Please stop treating others like children. (Whoever added that blue bit at the bottom I’m talking to!Stop it please

Offline H0  
#35 Posted : 26 April 2021 23:18:44(UTC)
H0

Whoever added that blue bit at the bottom I’m talking to!
The blue text is from a moderator.
Is Goofy on the right track or on the wrong track?
Early feedback would have prevented the discussing from derailing. (Puns intended.)
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#36 Posted : 27 April 2021 03:55:20(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Please stop treating others like children. (Whoever added that blue bit at the bottom I’m talking to!

As H0 points out, that's a Moderator talking issuing an instruction into a thread for everyone else including you to take notice of, something Moderators of this forum have every right to do. I think we've had this discussion before with regards to the blue text

Stop it please

I don't think you've have the right to tell a forum Moderator what to do especially when they are doing their job...... When you joined this forum you agreed to the terms and conditions set by the Owner of this forum one of which was to abide by all Moderator decisions, and that Moderators have the right to delete and or edit posts as they see fit.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline David Dewar  
#37 Posted : 27 April 2021 11:31:54(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Model rail is not a cheap hobby. While it is important to not overspend I would suggest that cash should be spent on a new transformer which will last for years and is safe to use.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline marklinist5999  
#38 Posted : 27 April 2021 20:41:34(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Does a Marklin black on white trafo to match the 6021 control have an internal fuse? It wasn't cheap, and somehow I burned it out.
It's a USA for 110-120 volts. I had it connected a while with red c track insulators between it and a Delta control box as a booster with a big blue trafo from starter set 2916.
I wired it per the Insider issue instructions back when my 37780 ICE 3 5 car unit train was new. It is long, and may have double connected power between the two trafos. as a result of a front and rear slider. A recipe for disaster, no? I've read that the red c track insulators are not always fail safe. The train is fine.
Offline Mr. Ron  
#39 Posted : 30 April 2021 02:35:29(UTC)
Mr. Ron

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrodVictor Go to Quoted Post
Hi.... As I review, Marklin utilizes a higher voltage beat (around 20v?) to enact the converse unit. Lionel utilizes power interference to actuate the E-units. So Marklin trains will not have the option to adjust course utilizing a Lionel transformer.

As I recall, (it has been 20+ years since I did this) I used a Bachman transformer from a G scale set and wired it with a wall light dimmer switch. This provided me with a higher voltage for reversing. To do the same today, I would have to do some fiddling around to duplicate the outcome.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mr. Ron