Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 10 January 2021 19:04:38(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hi everyone,

I'm working on a project which uses the old metal marklin bridges for an analogue "high line," subway style. This will live above a C track layout/landscape, the trackage for which is already operational (albeit in need of track screws, for those who saw my topic the other month)

My challenge is that I don't have any marklin piers, nor do I want to use them anyhow. The bigger challenge is the fact there is C track directly underneath, so I need to devise an elevated subway-style system for this.

Have you guys seen anything like this before? I'm trying to ideate something, and the key headaches seem to be as follows:

1- The tabs and center rail joiners that get in the way of mounting any solutions (see image)
2- The solution for mounting at ground level, although that I suspect won't be the hard part.

My Plan B is doing 1/8" spacers to clear the tabs and tongues, then mounting the whole thing on a ~1/8 x 3" hobby board, but this leaves a spacing between the bridges and the board I don't like. I could maybe do it in Styrene and "skirt" the gap, but then it all starts becoming a bigger project than I want for something that won't be around forever.

I think the ideal solution is a simple and graceful form of a U bracket, like my terrible drawing below, but the execution is the question mark.

Anyone have ideas, or seen a similar solution?

IMG_3788.jpgIMG_3785.jpg
FS + SBB Era 2-5 and Vintage Marklin
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 11 January 2021 01:58:43(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
willing to bend the tabs flat?
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2021 17:38:24(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
That was the easy plan. I went to go do it and realized the center rail pickup tongue is almost the same height, despite not looking like it in the image.
FS + SBB Era 2-5 and Vintage Marklin
Offline rbw993  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2021 18:36:01(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Lionel made a set back in the sixties that include two trains, one in O the other HO. The O gauge train ran on top of the Lionel no. 111 trestle set, probably two sets actually. Both the Super O track and HO track had the the same 18" radius so the HO train could run through the trestles. Don't have a clue how many they sold! Where do you go from there? But maybe they would work for you. They are available on e-bay and not rare.

Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993