Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline waterslip  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2020 03:50:25(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Hello Community,
I recently purchased a Marklin 3795.1 from a starter set 29485 and it works great it has the following specs installed from the guy before me:
Loksound V4.0 MFX (ESU 64407)
ESU 51963 Miniature rely
ESU 51950 socket

I am running on my new digital layout using a 6021 control unit. But for some reason I can’t get any smoke. The 4 functions work fine but no smoke. On his lay out the smoke comes fine I believe he’s using a mobile or central station, not sure.
So I took out the smoke tube (7226) put smoke fluid connected to wires at 16v and perfect smoke came out. So I know it works. But I can’t get it to work on the train using the 6021. Is there a specific address function or a config I need to do. Please help.
Here’s a short video demonstrating and a table of functions
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by waterslip
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2020 09:11:03(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Did the seller confirm smoke is on F1? Could be anywhere from F2 to F28.
An ECoS or Central Station will show you the smoke symbol.

The Märklin manual may have little value for a loco with a retrofit decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline waterslip  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2020 14:09:14(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

The Seller is not sure what the Function address is, he turns it on using a smoke symbol.
How can I check the remaining functions ? all I see is f1, f2, f3 and f4 buttons ? Thanks,

I have followed the instructions step by step in this manual for setting up on 6021.

http://www.esu.eu/upload...usermanual_edition_I.pdf

Still no luck and Iam not sure what is a CV and how to use it. All I know is no matter what I try all I’m getting are the same 4 functions but no smoke no sounds nothing, i’m stumped Bored

Edited by user 11 December 2020 20:22:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline waterslip  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2020 23:34:09(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Hello Team,
I have a Marklin 3795.10 with an ESU mfx decoder, I am running my layout using a 6021 and I can’t get more than 4 functions and the smoke generator is not one of them. I followed step by step guide on getting more functions as per

But no luck, I still get the same 4 functions and I know the smoke unit works cause Inpulled it out and tested and the train does generate smoke on Mobile/central station any ideas how to access the remaining functions here’s a quick video of the situation

Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2020 00:01:56(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: waterslip Go to Quoted Post
Hi!

The Seller is not sure what the Function address is, he turns it on using a smoke symbol.
How can I check the remaining functions ? all I see is f1, f2, f3 and f4 buttons ? Thanks,

hi
your smoke generator might be on f15 or f8, if it's programmed like one of these projects:http://projects.esu.eu/projectoverviews/search?cat=1&q=03.10
your 6021 can control up to 16 or 17 functions, using up to 4 addresses on a single locomotive.

you will find more information here: (your manual it's a bit old)
http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-decoders/ Instruction manual for LokSound V4.0 family
https://www.maerklin.de/fileadmin/media/service/technische_informationen/Programmieren_mit_6021.pdf

and if you search the forum :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline waterslip  
#6 Posted : 12 December 2020 02:19:45(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
Your smoke generator might be on f15 or f8....

Hello bph,
Thanks for the reply, I followed the instructions step by step from Marklin but on Step 7 it says "Enter the register Number for the Parameter to be changed (list in your locomotive instructions)" I don't know what that register number is for the smoke generator and how to find it.
And in Step 10 it says to enter the New value (List in your locomotive instructions) I don't know where to find that value.
How do I find these parameter values and if I do set them successfully how to activate/use them ?
The ESU is 64407 Loksound V4.0 MFX
And the address of the loco is "03"

I tried looking up the code for the Smoke generator in here:
http://www.esu.eu/nc/en/..._pi1%5Bsorting%5D=ltypeA

Edited by moderator 14 December 2020 21:34:50(UTC)  | Reason: Edited to not include the quoting of entire posts which we don't need to read twice.

Offline mvd71  
#7 Posted : 12 December 2020 08:16:04(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
There was a batch of decoders that Märklin and esu had that didn’t seem to have the capability to drive a smoke unit well. I have the BR56 and BR 64 that are useless in the smoke department. My cheap BR24 that had a smoke unit connected direct to the pick up shoe was fantastic until I upgraded to a lokpilot so that I could control the smoke unit. After that it became pathetic too

So what I’m saying is it may not be your smoke unit or loco, it maybe the decoder that has been fitted.
Offline bph  
#8 Posted : 12 December 2020 10:32:58(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Hello bph,
Thanks for the reply, I followed the instructions step by step from Marklin but on Step 7 it says "Enter the register Number for the Parameter to be changed (list in your locomotive instructions)" I don't know what that register number is for the smoke generator and how to find it.
And in Step 10 it says to enter the New value (List in your locomotive instructions) I don't know where to find that value.
How do I find these parameter values and if I do set them successfully how to activate/use them ?
The ESU is 64407 Loksound V4.0 MFX
And the address of the loco is "03"

I tried looking up the code for the Smoke generator in here:
http://www.esu.eu/nc/en/..._pi1%5Bsorting%5D=ltypeA

Hi
your smoke generator is soldered to a decoder output, and they are called AUX. in your case probably AUX 1 or 2. those wires can be programmed to respond on any function button eg F8
Your seller should have provided this information.

so you need to access f5-F8 first, the smoke might be on f8. which means activate/program the second address. set it to eg 04 since locomotive is 03. (try set cv 49 to 03, auto-assign)
if the smoke is not on f8 (f5-f8), try the rest.

the 6021 can be a bit quirky with cv programming, so take it slowly, and try again if it didn't work. (check that the 6021 has Dip pin 2 enabled. ref manual.)

here is how I programmed with my 6021

Setting address with the Control Unit. Only one lock to be changed can be on the track.
2. Press the “Stop” and “Go” at the same time until “99” blinks in the display.
3. Press the “Stop” button.
4. Enter the locomotive address „80“.
5. Reverse + GO Hold the control knob in the reverse direction area. While holding the control knob here, press the „Go“ button.
7. Enter the CV register number, eg 01
8. Active the change of direction.
9. The headlights will blink.
10. Entering a new value between 01 and 80. Eg 08, for new address 8.
11. Active the change of direction.
12. The light blinks rapidly 3 times.
13. End the process by pressing the „Stop“ button. Then press the „Go“ button.

some common CV Settings (cv for Marklin decoders, for use on esu double-check with esu manual)

01 Address - value 01 – 80
75 2nd Address - value 01 – 80
17 3rd Address - value 01 – 80
18 4rt Address - value 01 – 80
03 Acceleration/Braking Delay - value 01 – 31
04 Breaking delay 01-63
05 Max Speed - value 01 – 63
08 Reset - value 08
49 no 07 manual enable 3rd and 4th address, no 03 auto-assign
49 no 01 disables 3rd and 4th address
49 no 00 disables 2nd address?
63 Volume 01-63 63 is max

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bph
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 12 December 2020 15:30:25(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hello Team,
I have a Marklin 3795.10 with an ESU mfx decoder, I am running my layout using a 6021 and I can’t get more than 4 functions and the smoke generator is not one of them. I followed step by step guide on getting more functions as per

But no luck, I still get the same 4 functions and I know the smoke unit works cause Inpulled it out and tested and the train does generate smoke on Mobile/central station any ideas how to access the remaining functions here’s a quick video of the situation

have you read section 4.2.1 of that manual, and also section 5.2.1.4 that it references?

Are you attempting to use the Address+1 or is it set to a different address?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 12 December 2020 15:55:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
There was a batch of decoders that Märklin and esu had that didn’t seem to have the capability to drive a smoke unit well. I have the BR56 and BR 64 that are useless in the smoke department.

if your Br64 is of the 3964x series, these are known to have poor grounding of the smoke unit through the body because the body doesn't make good contact with the chassis.

I have a feeling that the Br56 has a similar problem.

Did you change the smoke unit in the Br24 to a lower voltage one when you changed it to decoder switched? if not then that will be part of your problem. The smoke units run off a decoder need to be lower voltage ones than run straight off the pickup shoe.

Offline waterslip  
#11 Posted : 12 December 2020 19:28:10(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Originally Posted by: bph Go to Quoted Post
here is how I programmed with my 6021...

Hello bph,
I followed your instructions step by step here’s a video of exactly how I did it, and I assigned the numbers you provided in your example. I still don’t understand accessing f5-f8, what sequence button should I input? And what is a CV address. And how do I access the remaining functions after this configuration.
Note: the Train address was set to 03 by the seller.

This is the video:

And here are the only functions I have available:

And here is the ESU manual (which I read a million times but still clueless Confused )
http://www.esu.eu/en/dow...c126d11fcc27bd68c94d5a3b

Edited by moderator 14 December 2020 21:31:44(UTC)  | Reason: Edited to not include the quoting of entire posts which we don't need to read twice.

Offline waterslip  
#12 Posted : 12 December 2020 20:34:53(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
have you read section 4.2.1 of that manual, and also section 5.2.1.4 that it references?

Are you attempting to use the Address+1 or is it set to a different address?

Yes I have read the section 4.2.1 and 5.2.1.4 and followed the instructions step-by-step as per 5.2.2 but still no luck, not sure how to unlock use remaining functions, here’s my video:

Edited by moderator 14 December 2020 21:30:37(UTC)  | Reason: Edited to not include the quoting of entire posts which we don't need to read twice.

Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 13 December 2020 05:33:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Just for your information: ESU decoders V4.0 and upwards are able to register 4 additional addresses which means you can have 16 Aux functions (not including the light function) with a Märklin 6021 , you can do this easily with an ESU lokprogrammer whereas you register the loco address for instance as 1 and your Aux functions as 2, 3 and 4, I have done this for a client on all of his locos,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 13 December 2020 15:10:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Just for your information: ESU decoders V4.0 and upwards are able to register 4 additional addresses which means you can have 16 Aux functions (not including the light function) with a Märklin 6021 , you can do this easily with an ESU lokprogrammer whereas you register the loco address for instance as 1 and your Aux functions as 2, 3 and 4, I have done this for a client on all of his locos,

John

Yes, but judging by the manual he posted it appears this is the original v3.0 mfx decoder (note the manual does not describe it as an M4 decoder, which I think came in with the v4.0).
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 13 December 2020 17:05:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Yes, but judging by the manual he posted it appears this is the original v3.0 mfx decoder (note the manual does not describe it as an M4 decoder, which I think came in with the v4.0).
In the other thread they write it is an ESU V4 decoder. Here they link the V3 manual.
Trying to program a V4 decoder with a V3 manual can lead to unexpected results.
Discussing one problem in multiple threads can increase the confusion.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline bph  
#16 Posted : 13 December 2020 23:43:11(UTC)
bph

Norway   

Hello bph,
I followed your instructions step by step here’s a video of exactly how I did it, and I assigned the numbers you provided in your example.

it seems that you successfully changed the locomotive main address from 03 to 08.
CV is just decoder settings and the cv number just tells the decoder wast setting to change. FOR Eg CV 63 is speaker volume and giving CV 63 a value of 63 is setting the volume to max.
When you enable 2nd, 3rd, and 4th addresses to a decoder, that just to control more of the F functions. in a single decoder.
So your locomotive is now 08 has f0+ f1-f4. when 2nd address activated and given eg address 09. an then addresses 09 entered into the 6021, and it will operate the decoder F buttons, F1 will be F5, f2 will be f6, F3 will be F7, and F4 will be F8. this is similar for more following addresses

It's also worth mentioning that a 60657 Mobile Station, can handle this with more ease( it's more modern). new mfx locomotives will register automatically. Another worth considering is also Marklin Central station 3 or ECoS command station. they can all handle old digital and delta, but new mfx locomotives will autoregister with all functions.

Edited by moderator 14 December 2020 21:35:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline waterslip  
#17 Posted : 14 December 2020 12:26:15(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

John

Ok what exact Hardware and software would I need t do so, and what are the instructions? This is what I would like to do.
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 14 December 2020 13:07:00(UTC)
H0

Ok what exact Hardware and software would I need t do so, and what are the instructions?
Theoretically all you need is the CU 6021 and the ESU decoder manual with the instructions.
Any DCC controller will make programming much easier.
A sophisticated mfx controller (ESU ECoS, Märklin Central Station) can make some steps still easier.
An ESU LokProgrammer for use with a Windows PC will also make things easy.

Four options - and each option requires some reading to learn how to do it.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#19 Posted : 14 December 2020 21:29:13(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I've moved some posts and replies to those posts into this thread that were posted into an 8 year old thread, because they were discussing the same issue that this thread is about. Best to keep everything in one place.

Posts were moved from https://www.marklin-user...2-Access-f5-f8-from-6021

Can we please also not quote entire posts in your replies, as we've already read the post and don't need to wade through it again. Doing so clutters up the thread. Please edit your quotes to include the relevant bits you are responding to, not the entire post and certainly don't quote posts within a post (nested quote).
Offline waterslip  
#20 Posted : 17 December 2020 08:09:51(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Hello friends,

So I finally figured it out, I managed to remap the functions of my MFX ESU Decoder using a Control Unit 6021 without the need for the Lokprogrammer Hardware or a Mobile/Central Station.
Specs:
- Locomotive Marklin 3795.10
- Decoder installed ESU Loksound V4 MFX 64407
- Control Unit 6021

You will have to get the new CV code value mappings and reprogram them into your decoder, it was no simple task, here is how I did it :
1. First download and Install the latest LokProgrammer PC Software from here. I chose the latest version to download Date: 27.10.20, Version: 5.1.0.

2. Once installed (it's free but works only on PC). download your file file for your ESU Loksound from here . In my case it's "LokSound V4.0 Family, LokSound Select " and then I did a search for "64407" and downloaded the corresponding sound file (see screenshot)

64407.png

3. Next launch the software LokProgrammer select "Open an Existing Decoder Project" and open the sound file you downloaded in Step 2, see screenshot:

Lokprogrammer Launch.png

4. Once you open it go to "Function Mapping" notice you will see the functions mapped by default on your loco, when you press a function button you get the sound/function corresponding to what is shown in the table (see screen shot)

Lokprogrammer Function Mapping.png

5. Remap the functions buttons to your choosing. For more on how to remap/use function mappings here's a good video. In my case example I wanted the loco to make steam on F3 instead of the announcement #2 sound (see screenshot)

Lokprogrammer customized Function Mapping.png

6. You can also modify any other function mapping of your choice; i.e. dimmable headlights, sound on reverse, max speed...etc. Once you are satisfied with your customizations. go to the the Tools Menu > select Show Changed CV's (see screenshot)

Lokprogrammer Show Changed CVs.png

7. Once you click on that you will get the code of CV's that need to be changed to new Values (see screenshot)

List of Changed CVs.png

8. Now using your 6021 you will need to input these CV values into your decoder. This is the tricky part.
a. Remove any loco from the tracks and place only the loco you wish to reprogram
b. On the 6021 Control press GO + STOP at the same time until 99 comes up
c. Press STOP
d. Enter your loco digital address in my case it's 03 (default is 80 if you're not sure) Turn the knob to the REVERSE position while holding press GO
e. You will now notice the headlights of your train are flashing meaning it's ready to program
f. Enter "08" Press REVERSE Enter "08" again and press REVERSE; this will make sure you reset the decoder to the original default settings (see screen shot from step#4 for what those settings are)
g. Your train is now set to the default decoder settings.
h. Turn OFF the 6021, unplug power wait for 10 seconds and replug
i. press GO + STOP at the same time until 99 comes up
j. Press STOP
k. Enter your loco digital address ("03" if not "80" or whatever your address is set to)
l. While holding in REVERSE position press GO, train headlights will begin to flash, now you are ready to input the CV addresses
m. So there are 2 mode of entering CV addresses the Short Mode and the Long Mode see the Loksound Manual here in my case it's the Loksound V4.0. It explains entering the Short Mode in sections 8.2.3.2 and Long mode in section 8.2.3.3
n. So if you look at CV list we generated (see step#7) it's made of short mode CV (index CV's) and Long mode and I am going to explain how to input them using your 6021. See screen shot

ENtering List of Changed CVs.png
o. Remember from step "L" your Headlights are still flashing waiting for CV to be entered: so here we need to set CV 31 = 16, so on your 6021 enter "31", click REVERSE and then enter "16" click REVERSE the headlight will turn solid light for a sec and then flash again. Next we need to enter the second Index CV32 = 2. on your 6021 enter "32" click REVERSE and then "02" click REVERSE your headlights will turn solid light and then will flash again.

p. Now you need to enter the Long Mode CV's we have a a total of 8 to enter. These are made of 3 digits but your 6021 can only accept 2. so Lets starts with the first one this is how you do it

q. Enter "07" click REVERSE enter "07" again click REVERSE notice how your headlights will begin to flash faster, they are now in long entering Mode.

r. We begin with the first one CV362 = 4. Remember the 6021 does not accept more than 2 digits and no 00 and no 99. so you have to enter it in double digits this is how. To set CV 362 = 4. You enter "36" click REVERSE (here you will get long headlight flash-short) "02" click REVERSE (long Headlight flash -short-short) "80" click REVERSE (long Headlight flash -short-short-short) "04" click REVERSE Solid headlight Flash it is now registered.

s. So in simple terms the long mode always has 4 inputs of double digits: "XX" REVERSE "XX" REVERSE "XX" REVERSE "XX" REVERSE
So when you want to set 362 to 4 meaning "36-02" to "00-04" and to do that enter"36" REVERSE "02" REVERSE "80" REVERSE "04" REVERSE. NOTICE instead of 00 we entered 80 remember because the 6021 does not accept 00. And for the second line CV363 = 64, it would be "36" REVERSE "03" REVERSE "06" REVERSE "04" and so on. More Details in manual on page 33 in section 8.2.3.1 "Please bear in mind that the 6020/6021 only permits you to enter values from 1 to 80. The value 0 is missing. Always enter „80“ instead of „0”"

t. and then you go through the remaining list of CV codes and there you have it! your customized functions are mapped and programmed into your loco using a good old school 6021 unit.

That should Save you some money on buying a Central/Mobile station and time on figuring it out, and you get to keep using your 6021 if you have one. I personally love it.
I hope you find this beneficial and helpful, of you have any questions or comments please feel free to ask. Thank you all again for your help.

AH,
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by waterslip
Offline waterslip  
#21 Posted : 26 December 2020 14:46:51(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
Hi again,
I read in many posts that you can use up to 16 functions on your 6021. And I am still trying to figure it out. Does any one know how to access more than 4 functions on your 6021 and jow do you do it? Thx,
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 26 December 2020 15:01:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hi again,
I read in many posts that you can use up to 16 functions on your 6021. And I am still trying to figure it out. Does any one know how to access more than 4 functions on your 6021 and jow do you do it? Thx,

What decoder have you used for the conversion?

The normal way accessing the extra functions is done on a 6021 is to use consecutive addresses for the extra functions. so say the loco address is 10, then F5 to F8 will be on address 11, F9 to F12 will be on address 12 and F13 to F16 will be on address 13.

Now by a clever trick on the 6021 controller you can have up to 8 functions instantly available. Using the two buttons either side of the '0' button you can switch between a loco controller and a function controller. The loco controller will always be at the base address of the loco (IIRC this is the button to the left of the '0') and the other button can be set to the address of one of the other addresses you wish to access the functions on.

You also need to be sure that this additional sequential address functionality is turned on in the decoder. But it is worth just trying the additional addresses first before we chase down that rabbit hole.
Offline waterslip  
#23 Posted : 26 December 2020 16:04:51(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   
My decoder is an ESU Loksound V4 MFX 64407.
The loco address is 03.
I tried the functions on address “04” it didn’t work that’s why I remapped the functions between f0-f4.
I don’t understand it; according to this blog I should be able to access them on address 17,18 or 75.
So I think that this sequential address functionality is NOT turned on. How do I check and how do I turn it on ?
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 27 December 2020 18:40:09(UTC)
H0

I don’t understand it; according to this blog I should be able to access them on address 17,18 or 75.
The blog refers to factory-installed decoders in Märklin locos - non-ESU decoders.

With ESU decoders you set one address, configure how many addresses shall be active, and the decoder will use consecutive addresses. IIRC it is CV 29 or CV 49.
Set the address, e.g. 3, activate four addresses, and switch the functions using addresses 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline waterslip  
#25 Posted : 28 December 2020 01:37:12(UTC)
waterslip

Canada   

With ESU decoders you set one address, configure how many addresses shall be active, and the decoder will use consecutive addresses. IIRC it is CV 29 or CV 49.
Set the address, e.g. 3, activate four addresses, and switch the functions using addresses 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Ok my loco address is 03, so how do I configure how many addresses shall be active ?
What are the steps I have to follow ?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#26 Posted : 28 December 2020 19:48:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Read the Loksound manual, the process is described there on page 38.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz