Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Timnomads  
#1 Posted : 10 November 2020 12:33:35(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Hi All

1.jpg

I was looking through the german detailed catalogue, which includes all the track pieces and came across this circuit track. Please can somebody tell me what it does and how it can be used with my CS3.

Thanks

Tim
Offline rhfil  
#2 Posted : 10 November 2020 13:22:48(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
It needs to be used in conjunction with one of the S88's and will tell the CS3 when a slider crosses it and which direction the car is going. Helps in the creation of events and track automation.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline Timnomads  
#3 Posted : 10 November 2020 13:27:02(UTC)
Timnomads

Switzerland   
Thanks is there any wiring examples and instructions for the CS3?
Offline PeFu  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2020 15:25:24(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
I see no reason for using this circuit track instead of applying the standard contact track method. You can create your own contact tracks, like this:

In addition, circuit tracks could be unreliable according to some forum members...
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 10 November 2020 16:46:33(UTC)
bph

Norway   
It's explained quite well in this video. German audio with English subtitles (not auto-translated)

Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 10 November 2020 16:54:30(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I created a test layout to learn exactly how circuit tracks and contact tracks worked and how to use them with "events". Both of then worked well with the advantage of the circuit tracks identifying which direction the slider was going. Of course if your layout is such that all travel on a line is only in one direction that advantage is moot. The advantage of the contact track is that it works with any car not just those with sliders and reports as long as there is a car on it.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 10 November 2020 18:34:07(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

There are 3 levels of train operation:
  1. analog
  2. Digital
  3. Computer controlled (Rocrail or equivalent)

In analog operation, those slider-activated contact rails are great for controlling directly solenoid items with a direction-specific operation. The contact tracks are less of an interest as the risk of burning a solenoid is much higher and they offer no direction-specific operation

In digital with a central station, these slider-operated contact rails allow a simplified automatic operation through routes and activation by a S88 system. Also in this operation, long sections of contact rails can offer a full occupation protection with a signal being turned red at occupation and green at liberation.

In computer-controlled operation, the software knows everything (which train and which direction) so in this case the long sections of contact rails offer a full security of operation while the sequencing software can send specific trains to specific areas (e.g.: don't send electric locos to the steam depot). Because of all this the slider-activated contact rails are of little use.
Here is an example of operation though contact rails (not slider-operated):

All the above is only my experience.
When using M track in analog mode I liked a lot these slider-operated tracks allowing wonderful automatic operation.
Now with C track and computer control, I find these slider-operated tracks to cause sometimes cause a loss of contact (slider takes off).
Cheers
Jean
Offline rhfil  
#8 Posted : 10 November 2020 20:33:52(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Great example of the use of Rocrail to automate a layout but his question was what the circuit track did and how he could use it with his CS3.