Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline efel  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2008 12:28:42(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,

I would appreciate if somebody could answer my questions:

1- I read that the contact track gives a "momentary" contact by means of the pick up shoe. I understand (may be I'm wrong) that the contact is momentary, even is the pick up shoe stays on the switch ?

2- In that case, what is (roughly !) the contact duration: 100ms, 500ms ???

Thanks

Fred
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2008 14:26:40(UTC)
H0

Hi!

You get a contact as long as the slider is on the switch.

Some notes:
Sometimes the switch will open while the screw hole of the slider passes (IIRC this doesn't happen with M track (K track not tested)).
Some locos (e.g. V 100) can close the switch with the powered truck (the one without slider); IIRC this doesn't happen with C track (K track not tested).

It's a mechanical switch, so be careful if you want to count the clicks or something of that kind.
I use these tracks for my speedometer and I deal all pulses within a time frame as one click.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2008 14:28:47(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
As long as the shoe remains over the actuator the circuit/switch completes the circuit. In this case it is not momentary.
Peter
Offline efel  
#4 Posted : 13 August 2008 17:57:36(UTC)
efel

France   
Thanks for that quick answers! As quick as Google and far more pertinent!
Then it's not really a momentary contact.
And I will not advise my friend, who has old magnetic articles without end shutoff contacts, to use it without precaution. They might burn if a loco stops on the actuator! May be some electronics to add, or I think Viessmann or UHL has a kind of booster with limited power duration...I'm to have a look at their sites.
Regards,
Fred
Offline mascagni  
#5 Posted : 13 August 2008 18:13:40(UTC)
mascagni

Fred: That is correct, the momentary contact tracks are the classic sensor for actuating crossing gates. The assumption is that the engine is traveling at a constant speed past them to open, and then close a solenoid. If you park on top of them they could cause unexpected results. However, occupancy tracks and and S88 will do the same thing, but depending on how you use the occupancy signal, you can avoid these unexpecteds.--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein