Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline chiemgau  
#1 Posted : 11 October 2020 20:46:40(UTC)
chiemgau

United States   
I ran into an article and saw they had used a connector for their portable z layout. I thought what a great idea it is, makes it more simple to connect instead of feeding those 4 wires one by one into the Marklin controller. I don't run my z-scale trains often and most of the time it's behind Plexiglass. But when I do run it, I want to have a simple connection.

What type of connector is that (looks like these can be found in tower computers?), any other connectors that would work and be easy to find? Any help/suggestions appreciate, thanks.

connector.jpg

Edited by user 12 October 2020 01:16:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Br502362  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2020 09:03:02(UTC)
Br502362

Finland   
Hi,

Automotive industry uses similar looking connectors which can be found in general auto parts shops.
This 12-pin connector in the photo is from the expensive side.

DT 12napa.jpg

Cheers

Åke
Offline JohnjeanB  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2020 12:21:02(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Chiemgau
The connector you show is a Molex
You may find them in computer parts store or at Farnell http://www.farnell.com/datashee...daLE94XTA6xoCUxMQAvD_BwE
They require a cramping tool and may require an extractor
Cheers
Jean
Offline chiemgau  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2020 17:45:29(UTC)
chiemgau

United States   
Thank you for all the info. For the Molex Mini-Fit Jr, the specs says it'll take 18-24 AWG size wires. I have the lights hooked up on Brawa 26 AWG wires and Marklin feeder wires. Will it work if I solder the 26 AWG to a larger gauge wire so it'll fit in those connectors? Or is that not recommended?
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 13 October 2020 00:58:10(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: chiemgau Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for all the info. For the Molex Mini-Fit Jr, the specs says it'll take 18-24 AWG size wires. I have the lights hooked up on Brawa 26 AWG wires and Marklin feeder wires. Will it work if I solder the 26 AWG to a larger gauge wire so it'll fit in those connectors? Or is that not recommended?

personally rather than use the Molex connectors I would use standard D type connectors as used for serial ports on computers. A 9 pin connector would do what that Molex one does, and they are more compact. If you need more pins then go to a 15 or 25 pin version.

The Molex ones do have one problem I have come across is that it is very easy to bend the retaining lugs on the pins that stop them from pushing out the back of the connector. The connector body design is such that the pins do not stay central in their hole, especially if the wire is being pushed to one side, and then when attempting to mate a connector pair the pin gets pushed back. The bit that sticks out from the side of the pin then bends and curls over, leaving the pin pushed back, and it is awkward to get out because of the bent latch piece. They are really not designed for repeated mates and demates.