Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PeterF7  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2020 00:26:31(UTC)
PeterF7

United States   
I purchased the Marklin UP Passenger Car set, #43617. I have thought about adding an Observation Car.
The color of the Marklin set that arrived has more of an orange color compared
to the color of other car sets including the cars on the Marklin site:
https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/43617

UPpassengerMarklinSite.JPG

Here is a picture of what arrived:

UPpassengerMarklin.JPG

Here is a picture from the Union Pacific site at:
https://www.up.com/cs/gr...vedocs/pdf_columbine.pdf

UPpassengercarUPsite.jpg

From the Marklin site picture, the car's color is a bright Canary Yellow.
What arrived was more of a brownish yellow
The picture from the UP web site is more of a bright Canary Yellow.

When I go online to look at the various UP Observation Car offereings, I see both colors.

Has anyone else under gone this experience? If so, what are your recommendations?

Peter
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PeterF7
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 07 October 2020 04:54:18(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
You are right,the color is exactly that you describe to us,it is different from the colors from F7 37629 and 37610-49610 Alco.I would like to have some more cars too but i will not buy something not marklin.If the set sales are good for marklin maybe they think to offer us an additional set.ThumpUp
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline mbarreto  
#3 Posted : 07 October 2020 18:11:06(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I have the new set too and although it is brownish yellow it looks very good close to a Big-Boy (in my case 37993).
It's a bit different from the train that ran in 2019, but it looks great nevertheless.

Regards,
Miguel
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline PeterF7  
#4 Posted : 07 October 2020 18:48:52(UTC)
PeterF7

United States   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
You are right,the color is exactly that you describe to us,it is different from the colors from F7 37629 and 37610-49610 Alco.I would like to have some more cars too but i will not buy something not marklin.If the set sales are good for marklin maybe they think to offer us an additional set.ThumpUp

I've have taken side by side pictures of several of the Marklin UP diesel engines and passenger car set. They are the 37610 (and 49610) (PA1's), 37629 (F7 AAB w/ caboose), 40631 (B-Unit #910), and 43617 (passenger set). I shrunk the pictures so as not to take up too much bandwidth. The diesels and cars are beautiful.

UPpassColors.JPG

UPpassPA1.JPG

I can see running the passenger cars with steam and the diesels with freight. I would have loved to run the diesels with the passenger cars ala this picture:

UPpassTrain.png

all one uniform color.
Offline foumaro  
#5 Posted : 08 October 2020 08:53:04(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
This is a perfect option to run with the train and the steamers like Challengers or Big Boys.I asked the manufacturer and told me that is not compatible with marklin c tracks.If i find a way to change wheels or something and make it run with my locomotives i will try to have it.
https://www.scaletrains....e-2006-water-tender-set/
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 09 October 2020 06:49:56(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: PeterF7 Go to Quoted Post
I shrunk the pictures so as not to take up too much bandwidth.

I believe this is done automagically by the forum software, unless you are talking about your own bandwidth for uploading...

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline grnwtrs  
#7 Posted : 11 October 2020 05:42:49(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   

You are absolutely correct!! I really don't like the set. Period. This is the second set I have. I had planned to run it with the Alco's . Not yet not now.

By the way. I don't remember seeing this type of car running up Weber canyon (UT) behind the Big Boy.

Regards, geneBigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline foumaro  
#8 Posted : 11 October 2020 05:51:28(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: grnwtrs Go to Quoted Post

You are absolutely correct!! I really don't like the set. Period. This is the second set I have. I had planned to run it with the Alco's . Not yet not now.

By the way. I don't remember seeing this type of car running up Weber canyon (UT) behind the Big Boy.

Regards, geneBigGrin

What it your opinion about the tank car i am writing to the post 5 above?
Offline dickinsonj  
#9 Posted : 27 March 2021 15:38:00(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I have the 43617 coaches but not any other UP streamliner coaches. I was considering getting the 37629 F7 set to run with them but I am concerned about a bad color match between those newer coaches and that older loco set. I would be ordering the locos online and I won't be able to actually see them unless I buy them.

Is that the consensus here, that the Amour Yellow is different between the two? And if so, is it slightly different or a lot different? I see pictures online where the color of the locos looks a lot like the coaches but other pictures where the locos look much more yellow and less orange.

Any and all input would be appreciated. ThumpUp

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline foumaro  
#10 Posted : 27 March 2021 16:08:48(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Who said that the color must be the same?Buy the loco,they are perfect with the F7,they are perfect with the Alco,they are perfect with the Big Boy,they are perfect with Challenger.LOL ThumpUp Love
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline PeterF7  
#11 Posted : 27 March 2021 16:27:29(UTC)
PeterF7

United States   
Who said that the color must be the same?Buy the loco,they are perfect with the F7,they are perfect with the Alco,they are perfect with the Big Boy,they are perfect with Challenger.LOL ThumpUp Love

Maybe a change in attitude **is** warranted by me but seeing pictures of an UP train with F7's and passenger cars all matching is hard to get over.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PeterF7
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 27 March 2021 17:43:24(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Who said that the color must be the same?

Excellent point. One of the main things that make our models different from the real thing is how clean and uniform the model colors are, when that was often not the case with the real trains.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline dickinsonj  
#13 Posted : 27 March 2021 17:52:21(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: PeterF7 Go to Quoted Post
Maybe a change in attitude **is** warranted by me but seeing pictures of an UP train with F7's and passenger cars all matching is hard to get over.

UP puts together beautiful business and excursion trains, there is no doubt of that. They have preserved some great vintage equipment and it is very well maintained, so when you see their F7's pulling their coaches they almost always match perfectly. But in real life the locos and the coaches would be repainted as needed and it definitely was not the case that they all matched, like the preserved UP equipment does today.

Being more accepting of natural color variations is something that I need an attitude adjustment for as well. BigGrin

Regards,
Jim

Offline Alsterstreek  
#14 Posted : 27 March 2021 22:29:30(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
UP ... so when you see their F7's pulling their coaches ...
Ahm, isn’t UP employing an E-9 set - see link?

https://www.up.com/herit...t/streamliners/index.htm

Anywho, here is a videoclip by a Stummiforum member of Märklin UP Alco PAs and EMD F7Bs hauling the new UP passenger train by Märklin, where one can study the 50 shades of armour yellow paint:

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline grnwtrs  
#15 Posted : 27 March 2021 22:46:38(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   

Regards, geneBigGrin

Not a fair question! I will buy Marklin/Union Pacific all day long. You guys know that, I'm a sucker for this rail line. I just don't think they put the quality in the latest (only, set I know of) car set. I hope they come out with another set or 2, and I plan to run them all with the Challenger (both oil and coal) I think the Big Boys' look better with the freight cars, and the same goes for the F-7(37629)

regards, gene Laugh
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by grnwtrs
Offline dickinsonj  
#16 Posted : 28 March 2021 13:23:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Ahm, isn’t UP employing an E-9 set - see link?

Yes, good point. In the real world UP's most common motive power for their City Trains were E9s. They also used some ALCO PA/PB sets and even some Fairbanks-Morse locos, but the EMD locos won out in the end. The coaches in the 43617 set are representative of their last City fleet and E-Units were almost always used to haul them. These coaches started out behind E8s and ended up behind E9s, which have almost identical bodies. UP is a traditional railroad and they hung on to the passenger specific E -Units long after most other roads used F-Units for everything.

But as far as I know Märklin has never made any EMD diesels other than F7's, which is what all of their EMD streamliners get and they appear close enough for most of us. The coaches are also a stretch from reality, but that is a story for another day. By definition, collecting US prototype Märklin models entails some compromises beyond what their European collectors would accept, me among them. BigGrin

Interesting video and it shows just how many opinions there are as to what color UP armour yellow paint actually is. The 43617 coaches are very pretty but a miss colorwise IMO and will probably not match many loco models because they are too orange and not as yellow as the prototypes. I am liking mine a lot more now that they are lighted which makes them look a lot nicer running behind my Challenger. ThumpUp

Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dickinsonj  
#17 Posted : 28 March 2021 13:43:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
I just don't think they put the quality in the latest (only, set I know of) car set.

I agree that these coaches are not ideal, although they are nicely enough made. Did yours smell really bad for a while after you got them? Mine emitted such a strong paint smell that I packed them away for a few weeks while they finished curing. They are fine now, if not quite the correct color.

The real UP coaches were almost all made by Pullman-Standard, not by Budd. They would have had smooth sides (not corrugated) and the domes were slightly different. But just like they have done with the locos Märklin has only ever modeled Budd coaches for their US streamliners. In Märklin's defense UP did buy a small number of Budd coaches, so they were not totally fictional.

I see these coaches as a sign that Märklin has lost interest in modelling US prototypes in HO scale. They are close enough to say that they did offer a 4014 train, but not a lot of effort was put into them. I found it odd that they left out the contact strips to allow lighting through CC couplers, like all of their other US streamlined coaches had. Luckily I found the parts on eBay and installed my own lighting to make up for Märklin's lack of interest. ThumpUp

My coaches look nice running behind my Challenger, which I agree is more appropriate. My 4014 is not a show pony but is pulling 31 freight cars and a caboose, just as it was built to do. If I get the 37629 set I would most likely use it for freight, so the color difference would not matter as much.

Edited by user 29 March 2021 19:35:59(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Regards,
Jim

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Online marklinist5999  
#18 Posted : 29 March 2021 17:36:22(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
Very nice looking cars indeed! Walthers has new "trainline" ones coming out of the super dome observation and vista dome lounge end car, etc. aslo. Unless I am confusing them with Haiwatha train models.
Offline dickinsonj  
#19 Posted : 04 April 2021 15:37:26(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Here is quick pic of a coach from my 43617 set behind the 37629, and the color difference is greater than I expected. The loco is a lot more like the original color, as I suspected and the new coaches are way too orange. Those coaches will stay with my Challenger and the F7s will be pulling freight, as they were designed to do.

Armour Yellow.jpeg
Regards,
Jim

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Tower  
#20 Posted : 09 April 2021 12:27:38(UTC)
Tower

This is a perfect option to run with the train and the steamers like Challengers or Big Boys.I asked the manufacturer and told me that is not compatible with marklin c tracks.If i find a way to change wheels or something and make it run with my locomotives i will try to have it.
https://www.scaletrains....e-2006-water-tender-set/

A set like this is long overdue, if you find a Marklin compatible one, please let me know.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tower
Offline Alsterstreek  
#21 Posted : 04 April 2022 15:53:56(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   

Regards, geneBigGrin

MU forum member BrandonVA just informed me:

- Märklin is offering a tank car set (article no. 47918) for refueling and expanding the operational range of American steam locomotives as add-on for oil-fired American steam locomotives such as the Big Boy and Challenger: https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/47918

- Unlike the six-axle prototype the models have only four axles.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 04 April 2022 16:50:51(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

- Märklin is offering a tank car set (article no. 47918) for refueling and expanding the operational range of American steam locomotives as add-on for oil-fired American steam locomotives such as the Big Boy and Challenger: https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/47918

Bit slow on the uptake here Alsterstreek, discussion has been going on in the 2022 new items thread stating here. (Interspersed with discussion on the Danish E series loco).

It is an "April Fools" item rather like the blue Br120 marklin did a good few years ago where Miba magazine announced it in their April issue as an April Fools joke, and then Marklin went on to manufacture it. Seems the same thing has happened this time according to the notification I received.

They are only 4 axle because they are using the European Heavy Oil tank cars.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bill L  
#23 Posted : 08 April 2022 02:14:50(UTC)
Bill L

United States   
The 2 tank car set will be a conversation piece when you ask your guests to look at the road numbers. I am definitely getting a set.
Here is the link to a YouTube video that shows a long UP train. I do notice the orange-red color on the cars, but as they get closer, the color becomes lighter in color, so I think the Marklin color for the 6-car passenger set is fine.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bill L
Offline grnwtrs  
#24 Posted : 19 April 2022 02:12:04(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   

Regards, geneBigGrin

Of course I will buy it, along with all the others that don't exist in the prototype, I am after all a Maerklin fool!!!!!
I will just add it to my collection. One of many!

Thanks gene