Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LA2019  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2020 00:10:58(UTC)
LA2019

United States   
I was running my 37015 (S2/6) and at one point it came to a stop. Motor sounded like it was bound up. Started tearing it down and noticed that part of the running gear on the left side was hanging loose. I circled the two plastic parts in the picture that were loose. When they came loose the metal part (that looks like a banana) below the circled part on the right did a 180 degree flip and was binding up against the other rod! I pulled the rivet on the smaller connecting rod and got the ‘banana’ part re-orientated. It’s running and all seems well.

My question is this; the two plastic parts in the red circles are just pressure fitted. I’m concerned that they may dislodge themselves again over time. Would I be foolish to add a drop of plastic cement to hold those parts?

Any ideas or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

UserPostedImage
Ken
USofA
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by LA2019
Offline dickinsonj  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2020 02:03:49(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Thanks for the tip! I will need to check those points on my 37015, which don't seem to have been very well designed. I will have it on the bench soon anyway because the motor failed and I finally have the replacement on hand.

Pretty model and it seems mechanically simple, but you have uncovered another failure area to keep a watch on. Cool

Maybe outsourcing the production of these limited run locos wasn't such a great idea after all. BigGrin

Oh well. Live and learn. ThumpUp

It really is pretty.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline dickinsonj  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2020 03:40:35(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
As to your question about gluing the pressure fitted pieces, I glue them if they come loose and they do not need removed for any future reason.

I find that Märklin pressure fitted pieces don't always stay in place well and over the years I have glued many of them in place for good and all.

That may be the best solution in the long run.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
Offline Johnvr  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2020 07:49:17(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello Jim

Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the tip! I will need to check those points on my 37015, which don't seem to have been very well designed. I will have it on the bench soon anyway because the motor failed and I finally have the replacement on hand.

Please can you elaborate further on your comment above.

1) Can you describe what happened to your motor, and give some indication of what you observed when it failed ?
2) Please can you let me know where you managed to source a replacement motor ?
3) Did you successfully replace the motor, and is the loco running well again ?

A friend of mine has a 37015 where the motor has failed and seems to have destroyed the motor circuit in the decoder.
The sound functions still all work, but the motor fails to work.
I need to perhaps consider a replacement motor for the 37015 to get it back to running again.

RegardsBigGrin
John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 23 September 2020 18:48:56(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Please can you elaborate further on your comment above.
I need to perhaps consider a replacement motor for the 37015 to get it back to running again.

RegardsBigGrin
John

Hi John,

The motor in my 37015 was fine for a year or two, but two years ago it started making a distinct hum when it was running, although it still performed well. Then last year the noise became louder and when running in reverse it sometimes made a loud squeal, like metal rubbing on metal. I removed it from the loco chassis and ran it while holding it in my hand and it had a very bad vibration, so I assume one of the bearings has failed.

I bought the Märklin replacement motor, which is the same cheap, disposable motor that it came with so it will most likely die after a few years also. I could not find a better motor online, so at least for now I will just go with that. They are in and out of stock at Märklin and it took me over 6 months to get mine from a US dealer. I have not had time to install it yet but hopefully that will get it back into working order again.

I also plan to disassemble the motor and try to determine why it failed. It does have the gearbox very near to the motor and I wonder if grease has backed up into the motor, which some people believe is a cause of these can motors failing. They only cost 25€, so that is probably about a 10€ motor wholesale, which does not give me a lot of confidence that it will last.
Regards,
Jim

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Joe Meiring  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2020 19:42:10(UTC)
Joe Meiring

South Africa   
My 37015 started giving trouble shortly after purchase from Lippe...lRan erratically and finally stopped. Decoder packed up. Back to M for repairs. They fitted new decoder.....but not long after same jerky running as before. M sent a replacement decoder and...yup....you guessed it....burnt out decoder AGAIN..after not much running...!
John VR kindly stepped in and after careful probing found that the motor has been faulty all along..as per Jim above...seems as if the bearinng/s had failedd?!?!?....which caused overheating resulting in the decoders packing up....
A VERY sad state of affairs....to say the least......and this from a rather expensive model too....😡😕
John is now trying to source a replacement motor...??
thanks John for all your input....much appreciated....!
Joe M
Cape Town
Medium digital C track layout with MS2: When I grow up I want to be a steam engine driver....
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Joe Meiring
Offline dickinsonj  
#7 Posted : 26 September 2020 01:06:23(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
This is the part listed in the diagram on their website: Replacement Motor E189104

I ordered that part through the nice folks at AJCKids and parts always take forever here in the US no matter who you buy from. When I received my new motor Belle noted that they were out of stock for dealers again, which is common online. Of course parts will just be even slower now with the COVID related shipping mess and they often took 6-12 months before!

I have not had time to fit it and I don't currently have any running track so I am not in a hurry. It does look like an exact copy of what came in it - motor and gearbox -and lists for 25€ on their website, although they do sell out quickly, for some reason. BigGrin

I believe that my decoder is fine, maybe because I did not run it to the bitter end. When it became noisy and jerky I just took it off my track and tore it apart, so maybe I won't have to replace that too. ThumpUp

Time will tell.
Regards,
Jim