Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ocram63_uk  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2020 16:11:20(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Good day,
As I'm still trying to salvage this loco form the scrap yard I have asked Marklin support if I can replace the ESU 21 pin decoder with one of theirs, specifically I asked about 60972 DCC

Marklin replied that I can use it but, there are a few things to keep in mind:
1) you have to define this motor type in the programing of the motor.
2) that aux 3 and aux 4 has to be defined as a logical function.
3) that for Aux 3 you need a steady function for the direction forward and for Aux 4 a steady function for the direction backward.

The first request seems easy, find the correct CV and set the parameter for SDS. You have to do the same on ESU's
2) and 3) are weird. How can I define the AUX as logical functions and then set a steady function for both AUXs ? Maybe the translation from German is not the most appropriate.

I don't understand it, a bit too complex. Is it clear for you Marklinists ?

I know you can't have variable motor steps with SDS because it 'destroys' the motor or PCB. That is why you can only set Vmin and Vmax but not Vmid, so I have understood.

At the same time I'm in talks with SB-Modelbau to rip out the SDS motor and PCB and install a decent motor with a proper DCC decoder.

Obviously the price difference is huge.
Cheers
Marco
Online kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2020 19:46:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Have you talked about this loco before? if so why haven't you continued that thread?

You have now lost the context of whatever the problem is by starting a new thread.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2020 05:28:50(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Have you talked about this loco before?

It was 39120 Marco talked about before.

Previous threads for that loco are at

https://www.marklin-user...3---39120---motor-issues

https://www.marklin-user...COS-station---loco-39120

Offline ocram63_uk  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2020 09:00:51(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hi Bigdaddy, indeed it was 39120 I spoke about. I don’t have that loco anymore as I’ve sold it.

Don’t understand why kiwi has made such a comment, pointless IMO, as this topic holds up itself and is not related to anything else
Offline ocram63_uk  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2020 09:02:18(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
well apart from involving a conversation on the same crap motor and electronic delivered by Marklin
Online kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 14 August 2020 16:16:48(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Hi Bigdaddy, indeed it was 39120 I spoke about. I don’t have that loco anymore as I’ve sold it.

Don’t understand why kiwi has made such a comment, pointless IMO, as this topic holds up itself and is not related to anything else

Well, there is no indication of what the fault is, and you haven't indicated why you believe the decoder is faulty.

We do try to help, but it helps if YOU provide the diagnostic information that allows the rest of us to short cut the "what is wrong" part.

[edit]
Also if had used a phrase along the lines of "i have another loco that has failed" then that would have been another clue that it wasn't the one you had previously posted about which I dimly remembered.
[/edit]
Offline ocram63_uk  
#7 Posted : 14 August 2020 22:55:38(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
kiwi you are right, let me explain. C-Sine motors + mfx decoders by ESU are a bad combination if you have an Ecos control unit. mainly when I tried changing decoder settings the loco driving characteristics went down the toilet and I had to reset the decoder. Same as with 39120 that you remembered.
I thought about using a ‘modern’ decoder by Marklin, hence this thread since I don't understand Marklin’s explanation.

I’m trying to sell this loco, it is spoiling the little fun I have left for trains, but nobody’s interested and if I can’t sell it I will have SB-Modellbau rip out the entrails and install something more decent to drive the loco.

What does logic function output mean? I've downloaded the decoder's manual but it still isn't clear. I will be using DCC and nothing else. The decoder already has Aux3 and 4 as logical outputs so what do they mean?
Thank you
Offline g-gekko  
#8 Posted : 15 August 2020 23:20:41(UTC)
g-gekko

Norway   
The MSD/3's Aux3 and Aux4 can be configured to be either logical (so it can control a transistor) or amplified (so they can be connected to a led, a telex, a smoke generator ….)

From the factory the settings for them are amplified.

When programming the decoder, you need to specify that they are logical:
logic.JPG

Then you need to add a special function - always. This is then configured to control aux3 forward and aux4 backward.
Csin.JPG

The enginetype needs to be set to sinus.
Motor.JPG

Leif
Offline ocram63_uk  
#9 Posted : 16 August 2020 13:42:01(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Leif good afternoon,
I have an Ecos control Station. I will have to check the other DCC dedoders I have with Aux 3 and Aux 4 and see how they are setup prior to put them backwrds and forwards.
Thank you
Marco