Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhfil  
#1 Posted : 31 May 2020 22:44:30(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I just received a ROCO 61473 AC loco with a sound board and can not seem to load it into my CS3+. Supposedly the sound card has address of 03 with MM or DCC but when I try MM 03 it scans through all the CV's but does not record the address. What am I missing?
Offline applor  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2020 01:08:32(UTC)
applor

Australia   
It will be DCC address 3 as that is the ESU default (unless its been changed). Roco locs with ESU decoders have always been DCC rather than M4/MM, so choose DCC protocol and not MM.

You can put it on your programming track and write CV 1 with the value of your desired DCC address.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline rhfil  
#3 Posted : 01 June 2020 01:59:05(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Thanks I will try that. Thought I had first tried DCC but perhaps I did not do it properly. If it fails I will try rewriting the CV1.
Offline torhb  
#4 Posted : 01 June 2020 16:12:41(UTC)
torhb

Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
It will be DCC address 3 as that is the ESU default (unless its been changed). Roco locs with ESU decoders have always been DCC rather than M4/MM, so choose DCC protocol and not MM.

You can put it on your programming track and write CV 1 with the value of your desired DCC address.

Address 03 is the DCC standard address. If it is ESU, Zimo, Märklin or other decoders, a new locomotive will have address 03 in DCC format.

This particular model has a MM decoder, according to Roco, which probably means it is a DCC and MM decoder
made by Zimo, as Roco uses Zimo decoders these days.

Roco has always used MM-capable decoders in their 3-rail locs and all my Roco locs have had address 03 when new.

Regards
Tor.
Tor Harald Bøhler
Oppegård, Norway
Offline rhfil  
#5 Posted : 01 June 2020 19:21:13(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
With the DCC set at 3 it starts to be read but then stops. I seem to be able to bring up the entire decoder but unable to register it. Is there something that needs to be set on the loco? I have a query in to ROCO but who knows how long tht will take.
Offline torhb  
#6 Posted : 01 June 2020 20:11:14(UTC)
torhb

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
With the DCC set at 3 it starts to be read but then stops. I seem to be able to bring up the entire decoder but unable to register it. Is there something that needs to be set on the loco? I have a query in to ROCO but who knows how long tht will take.

A DCC loco doesn't register itself. You have to program it into your controller yourself.

Tor
Tor Harald Bøhler
Oppegård, Norway
Offline rhfil  
#7 Posted : 01 June 2020 20:45:50(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
How does one do that or where can I find the instructions? What I don't understand is that I have other DCC locos and have never had this problem before. Though all the others were Marklin.
Offline TEEWolf  
#8 Posted : 01 June 2020 21:14:21(UTC)
TEEWolf

How does one do that or where can I find the instructions? What I don't understand is that I have other DCC locos and have never had this problem before. Though all the others were Marklin.

How to register a loco you find in the manual for the CS 3.

http://streaming.maerkli...3_Manual_EN_final-lo.pdf

You only find Maerklin products in the database of a CS 3. But Maerklin offers other ways to register locos from other producers.
Offline applor  
#9 Posted : 02 June 2020 00:20:32(UTC)
applor

Australia   

I expect the Marklin ones would have been DCC and MFX protocol, so I expect you were auto-registering them as MFX rather than using DCC.

Every Marklin locomotive (within about the last 10-15 years) supports MFX since it is their defacto protocol.
Locos released for Marklin 3-rail but other brands (such as Roco, Brawa, Liliput) are typically only DCC, since DCC is the standard for 2 rail users but also works fine with Marklin controllers.
While decoders such as ESU and Lenz support MFX (called M4) they are not installed in factory locos that I am aware of.

It is very simple to add a locomotive that is DCC or MM manually. Just press the loco button and then + to add new locomotive. Then choose manual and select DCC protocol and enter its address and icon and 126 speed steps.

DCC is far preferable to MM, since DCC supports 126 speed steps and 30? functions. MM only supports 28 speed steps and 4 functions (8 if two addresses are used)
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline rhfil  
#10 Posted : 02 June 2020 11:55:10(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
I got it to work. Not sure if I was spoiled by the ease of registering Marklin locos and was not seeing that or if there was some lack of contact between the loco and the track but it ran after I ran another loco over the same area and then I was able to add icons to the sound buttons. Thanks for the help.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil