Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GenDemo  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2020 06:18:46(UTC)
GenDemo

Australia   
Hi All

I have an older locomotive that we had converted to digital in the early 2000s. It used to run fine. But we moved and stuff. And now after a couple of years, I have setup a new layout. But this locomotive wont respond.
I have put a multimeter on it and it is getting power - but I know to little of these electronics to figure out what the issue is.
My first port of call was to check that it is getting power - which it seems like it is. Check.
Next, it is entirely possible that I have forgotten the address for this locomotive. Problem here is I cant recall how to set the numbers/address. Logically I would think that it is just a bit code. But I am unsure. Unfortunately I no longer have any manual or paperwork for it. When I google the code that is on the frame of the chip, I dont get what seems to be in the train. I will attach two pictures. I vaguely remember something that they couldnt put a full new (at the time) digital decoder in, so they put a delta decoder in. But I am not fully sure of this.

I would greatly appreciate help or advice of what to do, what to check and/or help identifying the controller.D9646117-5E18-4516-AC22-E17F72827F33.jpeg1D306B34-64B5-488D-879D-E54454CB1BCB.jpeg
Offline ocram63_uk  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2020 10:22:58(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
So decoder seems to be a 6080
The 'dip' switch is set to 1 which means the address of the loco is 78

Delta has only four addresses regulated by the 'dips' moving them to the ON position sets the various addresses

1 on is 78
1+2 is 72
1+3 is 60
1+4 is 24
1+2+3+4 is 80

Hope this helps
Cheers
Marco
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline ocram63_uk  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2020 10:24:35(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I'll send a picture of the other possible address selections later
Offline ocram63_uk  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2020 11:12:59(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
Hereis the page with the other DIP switch settings.
Move the white slider to the ON position to set the desired loco number.
Enjoy

Delta Dips.JPG

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ocram63_uk
Offline ktsolias  
#5 Posted : 23 May 2020 18:31:40(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
DECODER is not an 6080 is a DELTA

cOSTAS
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline cintrans  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2020 22:55:35(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Decoder looks like a 6603 DELTA decoder
Offline Dave Banks  
#7 Posted : 23 May 2020 23:56:58(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
I concur it is a delta decoder slipped into a #6080 holder. The 6080 had 8 dip switches. Set address as 80 by putting all the switches in as described by Marco.
You may need to give it a bit of a cleanup & service if its been in storage for a long time. We can guide you through that if you like. For now just see if you can get one of the exposed gears on the other side of your picture to be rotated freely with your finger & if that turns the motor easily you should be set to go.BigGrin

Dave...
D.A.Banks
Offline GenDemo  
#8 Posted : 25 May 2020 10:28:25(UTC)
GenDemo

Australia   
Thank you All!!! its running, albeit slow and very jerky. I'll have another look at cleaning it. It seems to be much more sensitive to small contactless spots on the rails.
As I mentioned, I vaguely remember something about it having a delta chip in it.

For some reason though, if I have the 1 in the ON position , the train doesn't run. But I have 2+3+4 in ON and 1 in OFF, and it is running on address 02. Initially I tried for addresses 72, 78 and 80, but I can't enter those on my controller.

Thnx again all! so glad I got the help I was looking for.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GenDemo
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 26 May 2020 10:30:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GenDemo Go to Quoted Post
Thank you All!!! its running, albeit slow and very jerky. I'll have another look at cleaning it. It seems to be much more sensitive to small contactless spots on the rails.
As I mentioned, I vaguely remember something about it having a delta chip in it.

For some reason though, if I have the 1 in the ON position , the train doesn't run. But I have 2+3+4 in ON and 1 in OFF, and it is running on address 02. Initially I tried for addresses 72, 78 and 80, but I can't enter those on my controller.

I get the impression it probably needs new brushes. They look to be well down in the brush holders. Intermittent contact between the brushes and the commutator will give that sort of effect when the brushes are worn. Without knowing how often it has been serviced over 20 the last 20 years (it sounds like never) these are probably well worn.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline GenDemo  
#10 Posted : 28 May 2020 05:53:10(UTC)
GenDemo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GenDemo Go to Quoted Post

I get the impression it probably needs new brushes. They look to be well down in the brush holders. Intermittent contact between the brushes and the commutator will give that sort of effect when the brushes are worn. Without knowing how often it has been serviced over 20 the last 20 years (it sounds like never) these are probably well worn.

Thank you. I will definitely take a look.